Recasts

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that Sean Kanan's AJ going on to become a boxer may be a "which came first, chicken or egg" thing... But if that were a reason to recast, it was certainly a dumb reason: Gerald Hopkins wasn't exactly an out-of-shape troll. He was an extremely well-built, good looking guy.

While Kanan is good in certain aspects (and got better with time), Hopkins was overall superior in his portrayal of AJ. He really defined him as a multi-layered, tortured-soul of a young guy... It became a key aspect where Kanan would never really prove to be as compelling - and ironically, Hopkins played the alcoholic angle light-years better than Kanan. His replacement was almost as if TPTB didn't desire a deeper character - and instead opted to go for a more simplistic, troubled douchebag who sometimes wanted to get his groove on.

To me, that will forever be one of GH's most bizarre recasting decisions. (Then again, after Kanan's firing, wiping AJ's slate clean and recasting with different-as-one-could-possibly-be Billy Warlock is a close second!)

• Members

I liked Thorne #1 and #3. They should never have replaced Clayton, his Thorne was the most interesting.

#2 seemed like a nice guy, but he could not do many things with this role. (Jeff originally auditioned for Jack Abbott btw) His romance with Macy was popular though.

And then Thorne becomes a stud and has chemistry with everyone, including Brooke (he was her best pairing), but TPTB give him to Darla, a minor character..

• Members

Technically, Darla wasn't a minor character when she and Thorne became a couple because Schae Harrison was put back on contract when the storyline began. However, Bell & Co. failed to write for this couple, even though Darla had a rich history (she joined the show in 1989 and was one of the longest-running characters) which was never fully explored. For example, instead of Brooke or Taylor, she was the only true Mrs. Forrester since Ridge isn't a biological Forrester. Alexandria, Thorne and Darla's daughter, is the only real Forrester heir, yet she was swept under the rug in favor of Brooke and Taylor's kids. Darla was then sacrificed and killed off only to give Taylor a major storyline.

I thought Darla and Thorne #3 had great chemistry, but then again, I agree that he has chemistry with almost everyone. Poor Winsor Harmon always had to step back in favor of Ronn Moss, Jack Wagner or whoever was the writer's favorite at that time.

• Members

I didnt like Thorne #2 either and it sucks that he was in the role so long

Darla was a minor character. Putting her on contract didnt change that bc as you said, they failed to write for her. She was just there. And Brooke was married to a true Forrester LONG before Darla. Dont forget her marriages to Eric and Thorne which pre-date Darla's to Thorne. Ditto for all the other women these two and Rick married. Alexandra also isnt the only biological (hate that term real)grandchild heir. Dino and Logan also are.

• Members

Watching some of the early B&B episodes (Clayton seems OK, a little weak, but he grows on you), I wish they'd done a gay story with Thorne. The elements were all there. Instead he fell in love at first sight with Caroline.

Archived