Recasts

• Members

The actress was Ambyr Childers, the only Colby I liked; presumably, the gay guy was the dude playing Petey Cortlandt. She actually had chemistry with Cornelius Smith as Frankie, and they had a kiss right before she was cut and the story completely dropped. Ironically, I think she was dropped because she looked a bit too young for Smith. I'm not sure I believe the bigotry rumors at all. The following Colby, Brianne Moncrief, was terrible, and Natalie Hall just reads as a man to me.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If any actress takes issue w/ playing love scenes w/ a gay actor, then she is truly a few cookies short of a dozen. I mean, you won't play a romantic storyline, b/c he's gay? Hell. If I were the actress, I'd be glad knowing he wouldn't want or try to emulate the love and sex scenes off the set.

• Members

So Loving recast Curtis twice (?), Clay three times (?), Isabelle twice (?), and Gwyn once. I guess it's something that the Alden family was still so popular with viewers in spite of all the recasts. It seemed like the Clay people saw as best was the last, Dennis Parlato, and the reverse was true for Isabelle and Curtis.

Ava, Lily, and Jack were recast once. Ava being the most popular. Then there was the Dinah Lee recast who apparently did little and was written out.

Any others?

• Members

I always figured it was him (Sterling Suileman as Dre) and Ambyr. It's sad because Ambyr's been the only good adult Colby and I liked her with Brent Weber's Sean.

But honestly, I don't believe they fired her because she might have been racist. She might have been racist, but since when did that harm anyone's chances of advancement at ABC Daytime?

Re: Loving's Ava. She recast twice. The first one (Patty Lotz) only lasted a year, then Roya, then Lisa.

• Members

Curtis Alden:

Chris Marcentel 1983-85; 1993-95

Linden Ashby 1985-86

Burke Moses 1986-88

Chip Albers 1989-91

Patrick T Johnson 1992

Michael Lord 1993

Clay

James Horan

Larkin Malloy 1992

Dennis Parloto 1992-95

Isabelle

Meg Mundy 1983

Augusta Dabney 1983-91; 1994-95

Celeste Holm 1991-92

Patrica Barry 1992-94

Trisha

Noelle Beck 1984-93; 1995

Jessica Steen 1991 (Temp)

Gwyn

Christine Tudor 1984-89; 1991-95

Elizabeth Savidge 1989-91

Leslie Denniston 1989 (Temp)

Marianne Tatum 1989 (Temp)

• Members

That's interesting she admitted that. At least it shows lack of ego.

I didn't realize so many actors played Curtis. Were Johnson and Lord just really unpopular? I had no idea Burke Moses played him. He was wasted in most of his soap roles - he was especially hot on OLTL and I would have rather seen Alex with him than with Asa, which never should have gone on so long.

I didn't know Leslie Denniston filled in as Gwyn either.

I consider Randolph Mantooth to be one of the Clays because that's what he played for a year or so. I'm not even sure if they initially planned to have him as an impostor.

• Members

Carolyn Hinsey once said if RH had not recast roles so often it would still be on (this was about ten years ago) but I think ABC's interference would have killed the show anyway. In some cases, like the recast of Frank, it was desperately needed.

The only recasts that I think really hurt the show were the recasts of Mary and Siobhan. Some would say Pat, but Pat just had poor stories after he was recast - if the first recast had had better material he might have stayed, as I liked him a lot.

Mary was recast 3 times (temp recast with Carol Richards)

Pat was recast three times

Frank was recast four times

Delia was recast three times (I'm not sure if Robyn Millan was a temp though)

Faith was recast three times (I'm not sure if Nancy Barrett was a temp)

Siobhan was recast four times

Nancy Feldman was recast twice

Archived