Recasts

• Members

Huh - how old was Curtis supposed to be by then? About 33?

I wonder sometimes about an actor and a character. If the character is strong enough does that mean they can withstand multiple recasts? That was the idea which Bill Bell seemed to have, with some exceptions (like Katherine Chancellor). GH also felt that way about Carly, and AW about Vicky.

I guess it's down to personal preference, but for instance, I never really cared for Emily outside of Melanie Smith. I'm not sure if that means only Doug Marland had a handle on her (that didn't help Colleen McDermott), but with KMH the only time I liked her was with Jef Hamlin, and then Hal. The rest of the time I tolerated her, or was annoyed by her, especially when she started yelling. But was that down to bad stories? KMH had some of the worst stories I've ever seen on a soap.

Then you have Ryan's Hope, where I loved both Ilene Kristen and Randall Edwards as Delia, and that's not down to writing, because again, Randall had some of the worst stories I've ever seen on a soap. But is that because the concept of Delia was so strong?

Once Sherry Stringfield left GL, Blake became a dumber and dumber character, even if the basic outline was still there (insecure, daddy issues). I wonder if Sherry would have made a difference. I did grow to appreciate Liz Keifer over time.

Then there's GL. Beverlee McKinsey was astonishing, yet she left because she knew how bad the writing was becoming. With Beverlee there instead of Marj, would the awful hooting and hollering and endless Nick obsession of 1993-1994 been more tolerable?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

CH Doesnt Know Crap

Frank Was Recast Cause Michael Hawkins Was Difficult. Andrew Robinson Wasnt Hunky For ABC, Daniel Hugh Kelly & Geoff Pierson Both Quit. John Sanderson Stayed Til The end

Pat Was Recast Because Malcolm Grome Quit in 78. John Blazo Played Him Til 79 and was replaced for a few months by Robert Finnocoli But Both Werent Popular. They brought Pack Back in 1982 with Patrick James Clarke But MG Returned To his role in 83 quit in 88 and then came back for the final week in 89

Mary Was Recast cause Mulgrew quit. Mary Carney was on so short and her replacement Nancy Tolan were considered not pretty. They finally Got a pretty Mary, Nicollete Goulet RH realized That Mulgrew Could never be replaced and killed Mary in December 79

Sibbhon Was Recast Cause Sarah Felder according To ABC was Not attractive even though she was best in the role. Ann Gilespe who played Kelly's mom on BH 90210 was miscast. Marg Helgenberger was Great, Her Replacement Carell Myers Was Bad and her Voice Ouch. Look For The 1987 st pattys show on YT, Her Exit Episode. UGHH. Barbara Blackburn showed up as Sibbhon In Oct 88 But RH was soon canned so BB never really got a chance to show what she could do

Delia Was Recast in 79 when Ilene Left. I Belive Robyn Milan Was Temp as They Found Randall Edwards Who Played Delia More Bombshell sexy. she left in 82 and went to ATWT as Annie Stewart Briefly. Ilene returned in 82 but was fired in 83 after gaining too much weight for a medical problem. Delia came back in June 84 with Robin Mattson. RM was Miscast and Gone By December 84. Ilene returned as Delia In September 86 when they aged her son to 18 with a son of his own. Ilene stayed to Cancelation.

Faith Was Recast Cause Faith Catlin Was Fired in May 76. Nancy Barrett Lasted tilAugust 76. Catherine Hicks Played The role from sept 76-March 78 when she left to do broadway. Karen morris played it for 5 years than quit, returning for the final week in 89

Nancy was played by Megan McCracken & Lisa Sutton in 1978. Nana Visitor Took Over in 1978 as well and in 79 was cut when RH wrote Out Robert Finncoli As Pat.

Here Is Carell Myers As Sibbhon In Her Exit Scene March 17, 1987

• Members

They actually gave him a second chance didn't they--and then he went nuts again? And were drugs involved? Which of course leads to Dimitri's recast on AMC (has that been mentioned)/ Or Pierce--the first, and only really loved Pierce was fired for making sexual advancements or *something* (it must have been more extreme than that) to someone at an AMC party I think. Oddly it didn't tarnish his career much judging by IMDB. Then they briefly recast him with someone who wasn't too well liked--but I think Pierce was already being written out temporarily by that time. Then Maxwell Caulfield came back as Pierce--I liked him but admit he was EXTREMELY cheesy in a role that already had potential to become too cheesy--I don't think he lasted half a year.

• Members

Didn't Finola Hughes have a conflict over at GH right before Anna was kidnapped by Faison? She left and was replaced by one of those twins that were on DOOL to finish out Anna's departure from the canvas.

Geoffrey Scott was the Billy Lewis recast on GL when Jordan Clarke had his legal trouble.

AW's Grant Harrison was recast with Mark Pinter because Dack Rambo contracted AIDS. That role really changed. Grant started out rather sexy and dashing and ended up being neurotic and deranged.

• Members

Vigard was fired from OLTL because she showed up for work one day with her hair nearly shaved off (a punk-like buzzcut, which you can see in an episode of Amazing Stories from 1986). Paul Rauch fired her on the spot. Ironically, OLTL also replaced her with a generic actress, the sickeningly saccharine Julie Ann Johnson, who was much like Mari Lynn Dennison.

• Members

I Believe Gloria Monty wasnt Happy That FH booked Jack's Place and Told FH That it was her last day, hope she enjoyed it.

I saw GS As Billy He Was Good as Temp

I Liked MP as Grant, He Was Good at Meanacing

• Members

I actually sort of like Mari Lynn, but Julie Ann Johnson was so annoying!

I can understand why Vigard was fired, but I do wonder if they could have used this to help explain her personality change, leading to the cult story. She could have been like Storm in the X-Men around this time.

• Members

You have to wonder whether she did something like that in order to force Rauch into firing her b/c she was unhappy with the role. Otherwise, why do something that drastic w/o giving your EP heads-up (no pun intended)?

Archived