Recasts

• Members

The thing is, she had a point: Carlotta was (on the surface, at least) devoutly Catholic; and we all know how the Catholic church feels about homosexuality. If anything, I think her decision not to continue with the show pointed up a wonderful, missed opportunity to show someone whom the viewers knew and recognized who was not okay w/ her son apparently involved with another man.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't really care about her point. If she feels her religion or personal beliefs entitles one to pass judgment on other people's lifestyles, than she should go hang out with white supremacists and applaud when they pass judgment on her. Then we'll see how fast her tune changes to "why can't people just live and let live?"

• Members

That Was Not The Issue

The Issue Was That Without Permission From Frank V She Re-Wrote all Her Scenes. You Dont Do That. Then She Tried To Sue But PM Wasnt On Contract So The Suit Had No Merit

• Members

Me too. ^_^

OLTL's Dorian: Nancy Pinkerton was let go/pushed out because the show wanted to keep Dorian around yet take her in a softer, less threatening direction. They felt that was impossible with Nancy still in the role, the image of her villainous Dorian would be too hard for the audience to shake. Her replacement, Claire Malis, ended up moving to California with her husband and that's how Robin Strasser, unhappy with her AMC role of Christina, got the part of Dorian. Robin left in '87 and turned down Paul Rauch's invites for her to return, making one last ditch effort telling her that he'd found an actress who looked just like her... and they'd be shooting in Austria! Robin said too bad it wasn't Paris, and turned down the offer. Elaine Princi was hired. Robin had been doing episodic work in Los Angeles for a few years when her friend Michael Zaslow suggested that she speak with JFP about replacing the freshly departed Beverlee McKinsey as Alexandra on GL. Robin and JFP took a meeting, it all looked good, JFP would get back to her after, she was in the middle of contracts. Robin ran into a soap reporter on her way out. She'd already promised OLTL she'd meet with them first if she ever planned on returning to daytime. She contacted OLTL and met with Linda Gottlieb. Linda didn't really know anything about Robin's history/popularity but soon learned and decided that she wanted her back, especially with the big 25th anniversary down the pike. Elaine's contract was not renewed and Robin was rehired. The role of Alexandra went to Marj Dusay.

• Members

Did you see those scenes air:? Regardless of her personal convictions, it was just stupid. Carlota saw Cristian with a book and automatically assumed he was gay even though he had NEVER showed any inkling of being gay. She said she always knew he was and used him eing art as an example to reinforce this. She got overly happy about having a gay son as if he was going to be the Stanford to her Carrie Bradshaw. It made absolutely no sense and was written completely out of character both for Carlota but for the history of Cristian up until that point

• Members

That sounds like FV/RC were sacrificing character in order to make a point. It's not that a Catholic is incapable of accepting homosexuality, even someone with Carlotta's sensibilities, but if it was as OTT you describe cheap, that sounds agenda-driven. Link?

• Members

I loved Patricia Mauceri in the role of Carlotta, and miss her. But she was wrong, period. Carlotta has a history of being pro-gay and very tolerant, going back to the Eli Traeger storyline as well as several commemorative episodes regarding, I believe, World AIDS Day or some such. She is not Carlotta and Carlotta is not her and her personal choice was a black mark on the character and on my memory of her work. Plus, she did attempt to unilaterally rewrite her own scenes, refused to play the script, and that's a huge no-no. It's not like they were having Carlotta craft a gay pride float. She was just open, accepting and tolerant in the scenes - period.

• Members

That's b/c you can't make one out of flan.

You know, I'd actually forgotten about Eli? (No surprise there; the show forgot about him, too.) Given what you've mentioned, though, Vee, I have to rectify my earlier stance on this question. Besides, you're right: you can't fack up production by rewriting the script. Tweak it, maybe; but rewrite it, no.

• Members

I am always interested in the recasts of actors who are awkward yet in some ways fit the character. For instance, Kristen Vigard was fired from GL and OLTL, I think because of unprofessionalism, and while I can't speak of her OLTL role (I haven't seen any of her work as Joy - just the second dim bulb Joy), she was very special on GL, so believable as the innocent young woman who thought she was smarter than she was. You could see why Kelly Nelson fell in love with her, and they were one of the most idealistic and yet believable "young" romances I've ever seen on a soap. She was the epitome of the young girl watching a soap and dreaming of a gorgeous prince like Kelly.

When GL fired Kristen, they replaced her with the most generic actress possible (or it seemed that way to me watching the clips of her), and while she chose to leave, to try Hollywood, I can't see her staying around anyway. Anything special about the character was gone.

Then there's Faith Catlin on Ryan's Hope. ABC did not want her in the role, because of her looks, and eventually fired her. I thought she was incredibly awkward to watch, yet she was also the most honest representation of the very disturbed Faith Coleridge. When they found a more attractive actress, they had to rewrite everything of Faith, and it was only after Catherine Hicks left and they hired the frigid Karen Morris Gowdy who had anti-chemistry with every man that they took Faith back to her ugly roots.

• Members

Here here! I totally agree with you 200%...the overwhelming tolerance in Llanview was even more unrealistic then Dorian being a lesbian. I had always believed that Ms. Mauceri didn't have an issue with acceptance of gays herlself, but had an issue with Carlotta being tolerant given the character. Not everybody is going to agree with everything, and that's what used to make soaps like OLTL and ALL MY CHILDREN so brilliant. Everybody had a different take on an issue and played into the story. Look at AMC's Vietnam war and how sisters Ruth and Amy were against it, how Phil Brent had to go serve, how it impacted his family and friends, and how Phoebe Tyler was for the war (though poor Ruth Warrick was not). Nowadays, all characters are of the same mind almost. The gay storyline would have been also nice if it had been used to vindicate the character of Clint Buchanan who showed a bit of homophobia during the Billy Douglas story...

Speaking of Clint...I was sorry to see the original, Clint Ritchie, never return and Jerry Ver Dorn take over. However, I do think Jerry does very well with the character, given the character 360 and sometimes Ver Dorn actually emulates some of the characteristics Ritchie gave the character. At least Ver Dorn's Clint still wears cowboy boots...

Erik

• Members

While the scene with Carlotta and Christian was OTT and not realistic (big shock), I think Mauceri def let her own prejudices get in the way (for Carlotta to turn into a killer would also be OTT, yet I doubt she'd have the same reaction...). And bringing up how Carlotta was with Eli is a fair point.

Speaking of, wasn't the gossip that Colby no. 2 was let go due to her having issues playing love scenes with a black AND gay actor? (I can't even remember the character's name...)

Archived