Recasts

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Catherine Hickland also temped for KKL as Brooke, and she did an interview where she talked about her mixed emotions about doing it as there were stil hurt feelings about Capitol being killed for B&B.

• Members

I really liked Philece Sampler as Renee on DAYS but I agree with you she was completely miscast as Donna. She was too young and couldn't pull off the haughtiness that Anna Stuart could. In fact, I seem to remember them softening up the character of Donna -- I assume to play up to Sampler's strengths. She became friends with Felicia, which did not and would not have happened under Stuart's Donna. I didn't watch past the late 80s (until the final episodes) so I don't know if the character changed back when Stuart returned.

On the topic of AW...and I apologize if this is already been discussed...there were a couple other recasts in the '80s that apparently didn't work. Faith Ford replaced Kyra Sedgwick as Julia Shearer. I never saw Sedgwick in the role, but the execs must not have cared for Ford, as Julia was murdered around 1985. Also, Taylor Miller who had been so successful on AMC as Nina replaced Mary Page Keller as Sally Frame. She only lasted about a year in the role before Sally was killed. She had big shoes to fill, as Keller was very popular and her pairing with Thomas Ian Griffith's Catlin Ewing was very successful both on- and off-screen. (I believe they are still married in real life). As good as Miller is, I don't think she stood a chance. It didn't help that she looked completely different from Keller.

• Members

Taylor Miller Was Miscast As Sally

Kyra Played Julia From January 1982-June 1983 and Left To Attend College. Actress Jonna Lee Briefly Took Over In June But Did Not Last since Faith Took Over Also In June and Stayed Til August 1984

• Members

They had already begun changing Donna when Stuart left - she was more and more of a generic romantic heroine (one of the reasons I did not care for her with Michael) and also becoming dumber and more about men controlling her. I think they hired Philece to play that up even more. After the forgettable stuff with John/Michael/Donna played out and Reginald was gone, she sat on the backburner for a year. They did start to write Donna as being more true to her character again after Anna returned, although it took a while.

Taylor Miller claimed that the stories they had planned for her fell through almost immediately and she spent most of her run doing bed scenes. She was very let down that the Le Soleil story was dropped. What was that - she was the face of Le Soleil or something?

• Members

When CD's Iris first arrived, they wrote Philece's Donna as sort of a younger kiss ass climber trying to get into Iris' good graces which seemed inappropriate. Donna didn't have to climb, she was already on top. Yes, Donna was younger, but Iris is someone the Loves would have rubbed elbows with back in the day.

• Members

The first Abuela on GL, who mostly had non-speaking roles. She's near the start of the clip, sitting beside Carmen (who now has an equally thankless role on OLTL).

Miriam Colon Abuela, who was unbelievably good. She's here at about 4 minutes in. Does anyone know if the scene is online where she calls Selena a "PUTA!" and starts trying to strangle her?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8G_4xGYXHM&feature=related

It was kind of silly. The whole idea of Iris having this hot affair with Michael, who was, IMO, about as unsexy as you could get (that hair alone). I wasn't sorry they dropped that.

The Donna I love most is high society Donna bitching about Sally with Cecile. Then her horror when Cecile took up with Peter after breaking him up with Sally.

• Members

Wow, Abuela Maria is awesome. Sorry I wasn't watching then.

Speaking of Patricia Maucerri, I think she'd make for a good soap bitch like Carmen and Maria. From her very first day on OLTL, she had a dark, suffer no fools, bitchy air about her, Carlotta's writing never tipping that but it was rooted in PM's portrayal.

Archived