OLTL: Discussion for the week of January 31

• Members

You can always spot Frons' newbie pets because they are on EVERY SINGLE DAY and propped to death like Terri Conn's Aubrey. Everyone is gunning for Clint but this little petite blonde is only one to outsmart him? Oh puzleese.

I didn't want to believe Joey was being sabotaged as I rather like TD's early scenes and he has a great sweet natural chem with ES, but he's written dumber than sister Jessica. Aubrey and Cutter snicker behind his back daily. Fans are snickering at his stupidity and he's losing not gaining rootability. As for Kelly, I find her far more tolerable away from Joey and better with Rex! Kelly & Rex at least have 1/2 a brain together and GT/JPL antics were more entertaining than lemons and choking cringe-worthy bits GT is forced to sell with a TD who stands there and gives her sad, puppy dog eyes looks. I know now why Frons vetoed JK for Joey, JK has too much of a gleam of smarts in his eye. He and GT spark far more than TD/GT and I suspect Frons saw that. Can't have a Joey with any gleaming intelligence there.

As for Kelly and Joey scenes, I don't find any investment there. They gloss over Kevin and Zane and the past. They fell like mere foils for AUBREY, the real star here!!!

I'll take Téa as I find her one of the most well-defined characters. She's motivated by a killer shark need to win at any cost and not just in court. Winning is like chocolate for some, a treat. Winning is like water for Téa, she can't thrive without it because winning a court case, a debate, or a man, means she's no longer a loser in a basement appt looking up at the winning people in the Penthouses. As some good scenes last summer explored, Téa spent most of her life ashamed of her janitor father and her lowly roots. That need to win was ingrained from deep-seated envy and sense of unworth. Téa's also the biggest control freek. She seeks to control every facets of her life. She even tried to control her own death. Téa can't easily admit she needs anyone as that is admitting a weakness and seen as loss of control. She couldn't admit the mess she made of Danielle's paternity because that too meant admitting a flaw, a failure.

She's also motivated by an obsessive love for Todd b/c he's the one man who gives her a run for her money in the controlling dept. Her love for Todd is a contradiction, she hates to lose control yet loves him b/c he's the one person who can make her lose it so totally. Téa's mom abandoned her and she was raised by an emotionally distant father who worked long hours. Emotionally distant men who she must struggle to win attention and love, are familiar to her. She retreats from men who are too needy or good guys who actually open up emotionally easily to her. Those men aren't a big challenge (like papi) so not really worth it, they aren't a big win. Todd's her biggest challenge, he fears emotional intimacy even more than she does. Téa is also motivated by her love for her daughter but wants the childhood for Danielle that she was denied... tom boy Danielle was more comfy in casual clothes and environments whereas Téa prized the stiff, stuff boarding school of winners. Téa craves that her daughter not only love her, but makes her proud. She's got that strong child of immigrant motivation going strong. MY daughter will own the world but it also reflects on ME, my self-worth.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Echo didn't make any vows to Viki. Charlie did. I'd really rather she punch him right now. I am tired of the men getting off so scot-free while all focus is on the other woman. Just once on a soap I'd like a woman to focus her ire on the MAN who is wronging her!

• Members

Hmm, fair enough. I'll be honest, I don't know that I've seen all that you have seen with Tea (specifically not where Dani is concerned), but this is interesting. I like Florencia fine, but let me ask this honestly, since RC has come aboard, how much of the Tea that you described above have you seen or did most of this stem from the way Tea was written BEFORE FL's most recent return?

They're great actually, I'd be very happy if they stuck around.

• Members

I think Rama is interesting - Vimal just seems to be a stereotype/plot device - but I don't know how much range they would have. OLTL has created a lot of interesting new characters in recent years, but unfortunately it's the dregs who tend to stay around.

• Members

True.

Rama's similarities to Kim are certainly there as others have pointed out, and I wouldn't be surprised if she makes some calculated play for Clint. But I'm afraid that if that happens Vimal is going to "stray from the plan" when Rama does the same and gets too intimate and he'll go nuts and kill (or attempt to kill) Clint and be carted off to Statesville. I could see something like that happening. I don't mind a neurotic character, but Vimal is getting more and more mannered which I hope is soon capped and reversed, I don't want "curried Spinelli" or what have you. What I like about Vimal and Rama is their true sense of partnership and bond as sort of "outsiders", there's nobody else on the canvas like them and it's an interesting contrast. To me, it's more interesting than Aubrey and Cutter's secret relationship which runs as deep as hotel room screwing can go. Admittedly, I'm being wooed by Viama's (better than Rimal?) ethnicity, but what can I see, it adds a new and interesting texture to the show.

• Members

Funny you should say that because I find RC's Téa the closet yet to her original writing under the Labines. Here's a few examples:

#1 The killer shark in action who must win at all costs been seen a quite lot: 1) Todd's rapemance trial especially exploiting Starr, 2) Matthew's right to have surgery, 3) Her ruthless battles with Elijah/Ross over Dani and 4) Nate's recent trial where she threw even Todd under the bus to win her case, and those are just the top highlights.

#2 The Téa desperately wanting better for Daniella was explored during several conversations with Rachel. Téa gushed over that boarding school, how Dani was getting riding lessons, and there were stars in her eyes. Rachel even called her out saying that was Téa's dreams and maybe not her daughter's.

#3 The Control Freak, seriously you don't SEE that at all written? Blair, Todd and Dani have all given her tongue-lashings about it. But I give you one glaring example, the hospice choice was really about attempt to control her death. Todd explained that motivation well, she was so used to controlling every part of her life and that cancer took away all control... so she was asserting the last vestige of control she could. You CANNOT see me drooling, blind on my death bed. I forbid it so I'm leaving and she plots/hires her escape.

#4 During the cancer story, the inability to ask for help was glaring. Blair and Todd both had force their help onto her. When have you seen Téa reach out and ask I (not a client not someone I love) am in trouble, will you please help me? Only on her deathbed.

#5 As for her obsessive love for Todd being rooted in a loss of control. Well, haven't you noticed she's control with all men except Todd? She won every verbal sparring with Elijah and whipped in him court. Then he sucked up big time to her trying to get in her pants but she dismissed him as he wasn't any challenge. Elijah never broke her down so he had to drug and nearly kill her. She's probably the only female on this show with a real immunity to John McBain's dark, brooding charms. They have sparred and she doesn't crack ever. Time and again we see the most emotion and most inability to control those emotions with Todd. Téa accuses Todd of driving her crazy frequently and he knows her well, his response yeah and that's what you love about me. Spot on dialogue!

Archived