ALL: Oprah-Are You The Biggest Soap Opera Fan?

• Members

Well AMC is Oprah's favorite. And GH has Luke and Laura which by now are tidious....yesterday's news...lol

I really dont know whats the point in having the particular show but I will watch.

Soap Fans are long gone.....well except for those here...lol

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But Ron, you know very well NO ONE would do that except some tiny public access show. I'd love if they at least mentioned the danger soaps have been in or something--but to expect them to discuss poor writing, etc, is too much (I mean this is a show that pimps out the latest Hollywood actor no matter what dog they're in, etc). They only time she dicusses the negative is when she's promoting a "superior" positive- ie if she did have (Heaven help us) a Tyler Perry soap in the wings THEN she would mention how soaps have let down minorities *Oprah voice* "unnnntTTTTIIILLLLL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW"

I am pleased to see so much focus on AMC--and surprised. Is this partly due to any leftover affection O has for the show?

• Members

If Oprah did some original dramatic programming it would probably do well because it's OWN. At least as successful as any of the popular Lifetime series, if written half way decent. It's still hard to say though because the success of Oprah's past dramatic ventures has been dubious. It would be a nice start if she reran her Brewster Place series. ^_^

• Members

I'd augment Jeanne Cooper with Eric Braeden but other than that I think she's got good representation of soap legends. Dee Hall should be on but she isn't on DAYS anymore. And I know this will piss people off but I don't think B&B and OLTL have anyone who has the same crossover appeal as the ones Oprah is featuring.

• Members

Considering that ABC has basically spent the last decade trashing Luke and Laura, and Tony Geary has, I believe, criticized the pairing in print, it's odd that at this late date they're going to try to recapture the magic. I wonder how many still care.

• Members

this has been debated ad nauseum, but I don't think anyone from OLTL has ever been on the cover of a non soap mag, etc Even when it was a huge ratings hit in the mid-late 80s, etc. Some might be aware that it had Ryan Philippe play a gay teen, or (more likely) have some idea about Vicki and her alters, maybe Dorian but that's all I can think of really....

Luke and Laura are way past their sell by date, but we all knew they'd get them on if they could...

• Members

This isn't about ABC trying to recapture anything. Oprah didn't have to deal with the network execs.

That's because "people like Oprah" are among the millions who stopped watching over the last few years. Ironically, if she wasn't OPRAH, TPTB wouldn't care about her. She's over 50, black, single and lives and works in an urban area (which in their minds means she's poor.) She's the last kind of person they want watching.

Archived