ALL: Oprah-Are You The Biggest Soap Opera Fan?

• Members

One time in 2005 I went to a fan event thing for DAYS' Drake Hogestyn and Bryan Dattilo, and it was a small auditorium for some sort of dinner theater type place. And people were asking the usual fluff questions, and then when they get around to me (and I happened to be the last question allowed), I asked for their honest opinion of the quality of the writing at the time and if there was a chance that James Reilly would be ousted soon, and that the quality of the show had gone downhill in the past 2 years. It was so effing hilarious because everyone else was using character names and whatnot, and I here I come blazin' with actor names, headwriters, network names, etc... and the whole mood of the audience was like, "damn, he's not holding back, is he!" First thing Drake Hogestyn asked jokingly in response was, "Well, that depends. Do you work for Soap Opera Digest?" It was funny. They were as honest as they could be without being too brutally honest and getting reprimanded behind-the-scenes, should their comments leak.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember watching on YouTube that GH special Donahue did in the early '80s. They were in some type of arena or stadium in Oklahoma. Damn, some of those people :ph34r: ! I guess not much has changed. I do know intelligent, witty and metropolitan people watch soaps (like many of the posters here), but they tend to be more "in the closet". I agree with the consensus that the Oprah episode will probably be filled with plump house fraus from Nebraska with sequin embellished t-shirts with Thorsten Kaye and Steve Burton shirtless shots on the front.

• Members

What this show would need is a high profile guest star to give the love of soaps some cred. Someone like Carol Burnett... but I'm scared that Oprah is, like others have said, going to roll out the crazies. But you never know, since it's her last season and she's doing big and splashy, i'm SURE she'll have some big name gueast stars. I can hear her now.. SUSAN LUCCIIIIIIII!!!!!!

• Members

haha... actually I was hoping for Mike Douglas. I want to be his guest co-host. but i'd never apply for something like that, I wouldn't have the time for all that kind of thing. I do have a friend in Chicago I could stay with, though :) but i'm not that huge of a soap fan in General. Y&R and Knots Landing are pretty much it for me, with a few smatterings of other shows. I'd be more positive, though...

Archived