OLTL: Discussion for the week of January 24

• Members

Man, the red flags just keep coming on Todd. I have no idea where this is going right now but I like it. I do think it's a good intro story for Tomas. They could've done some lameass caper about art or jewels or whatever in Paris, but honestly what would be the point? That would be fodder. This, whatever it is, is a real, meaty story that both lets Todd, Blair and Tea deal with history and also moves Blair forward with Tomas, so it works for me. It's not casual, it's not slapdash.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So how do we all feel if they DON'T bring RH back? Manipulated? Apathetic? Because I feel like it's all going to come down to some top secret 11th hour contract negotiations and it could be dropped just as quickly as it could be a go. As I was saying in the other thread, I like TSJ though I wouldn't mind if they tried this RH thing. The only thng that would really annoy me is if RH's return was never even a possiblity. Now that's [!@#$%^&*] up. :lol:

• Members

I will be annoyed as [!@#$%^&*]. I think half the reason why I'm not loving this Tomas story is because I have this sinking feeling that this will all be for nothing, they're jerking our chains, and RH never had any intention at all of coming back. It will be something ridiculous like Tomas is Walker's brother or some other reveal that will be incredibly inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

• Members

Hmm. How so? Not that I'm not intrigued by that, I've always hoped they'd explore that. And if it would get Addie off of babysittng duty in some back room in La Boulaie, I would REALLY be for that. PPW is one of the finest stage actresses of her generation, with the proper writing, her reliving the rape and years of mental instability could be some of the best acting on a soap we've seen is a very long time.

• Members

Wow, we so rarely agree on anything OLTL, Vee, so mark this day down. I too was riveted today by TnT and Tomas/Blair scenes and cutaways. I share your gut feeling the ultimate goal is freeing Blair from Todd once and for all .

I'm a Ted King fan but wasn't feeling him yesterday. Today was a totally different story. His Tomas calmed down and really listened to all Blair said and didn't say. It felt a slower mysterious and real connection forming there. . I liked finally RC addressing that Blair feels unfulfilled in life. The wistfulness in Blair's voice over gold balloons being the happiest moment of her life was KDP's more nuanced performance in a while. There's seeking something, anything, an adventure, a purpose outside of kids who are rapidly growing up. She's not just lonely, she's incomplete inside. Well-done there.

On the TnT side, I found Téa's dialogue pretty vintage for her. Assuring Todd he's changed and really has evolved and now capable of really loving someone. But today felt a subtle difference and not because of the presence of RH's photos but more like Trevor played it haunted by her words. The tease at work? Or perhaps Todd isn't sure if he's changed or he's gotten better at faking it for her? That's the question. The one lesson I do think Todd has really learned is life is too short as he then proceeds to take advantage of every moment to hold and love Téa.

• Members

Here here.

I too found myself... I won't quite say "enjoying", but at least appreciatng the flow of Blair and Tomas' scenes and the fact that I found myself not at all annoyed by Blair which I usually am. I did actually like the cheesy French music yesterday which was effective at establshing mood, as were the dreamerly stylistic choices like fadng to black for commercial instead of the abrupt hard cuts.

• Members

I don't think Todd's evolved, I think he's devolved. The man Tea remarried this past year is a sociopath AFAIC. And he's been that way since at least the rapemance. Any attempt at benign human emotion seems facile. I think TSJ plays a sick, twisted monster very well and I think that's because he's decided in the last couple years that's all Todd really is beneath his happy talk and the writers' excuses. And judging by this guy, I honestly think he's right. So the evoking the past holds a lot of weight for me. Todd is not at all the man from '95. He's not even the man who fell in love with Tea the first time. That man and this one are polar opposites to me, not just because of the face.

If somehow TSJ's Todd turned out to be ersatz I think FL could do very well with a breakdown storyline. But I love that Blair is coming to terms with this whole meta issue of Todd's descent onscreen for herself. You can tell the Todd she really treasured was the Todd in the picture - the one since the surgery has gotten worse and worse over the years.

If TSJ is willing to play something other than a psycho and the writers are willing to own up to what Todd has become, then they can certainly bring Todd back from the abyss without a recast. I hope they at least intend to rehabilitate the character, no matter who's playing the role.

• Members

Ooof, are you sure? ^_^ Not that she isn't a good actress, but I don't know if I can take Tea breaking down again, she is a screechy somebody. I feel like if RH comes back her head will explode.

If this does end up being a go, what would you guys like to see as an explanation? Off the cuff, I'm thinking I do not want a mind chip/hynotized thing. I'd sooner buy some grifter needy loser who actually found himself in love (here and there). Or maybe even an actual step-relative of Todd via his early life with Peter Manning. Where has the real Todd been and will we only accept his return if he's been gone against his will? Is it at ALL possible that he left on his own volition and gave ths dude his One Life to Live? How could we ever forgive that? (Not that masochistic Todd fans couldn't find a way. :P )

• Members

...This better not go on with stops and fits like some of the other Carlivati stories--Rex's paternity, etc.

I know RH prob wants to work but does he really want to come back as Todd? I dunno though--if they're going where it seems they're going (I hope Toup doesn't think this guess is a spoiler ;) ), does that mean the citizens of Llanview are even more dense than we've thought? They've all been duped this long?

I kinda enjoyed today's ep I admit. Had no idea Adriana was still kicking around for cameos (funny how I like seeiner he now--I remember for a while when she was on everyday, the online community seemed to hate her). I wish Shane were a better actor (flashbacks to his campy cancer scenes) cuz I think the cyber bullying angle actually has some interest, even if they seem to be telegraphing this story way too soon (and age issues aside, with SORASing, it makes sense that Jack would become a bully...)

I like Ted Knight--I never saw him on GH where it seems most of his fanbase is from, but he became a fave on The City (even with that kinda endless triangle storyline that became a quadrangle--man I miss the actress who played Carla Soleito), and I'm pleased they're not forcing him to use an accent. The scenes with Blair felt... odd. Not in a bad way, but the dialogue, etc, was handled in a more old school soap way than I'm used to from Carlivati, which I didn't ind (or maybe it was just that odd music he played on his record...) It's too bad they already seem to be making it clear this story is all about Todd--one of the Todds anyway... Although if Blair instantaneously accepts booze and doesn't stress about a locked door with a man she has never met, and no one knows where she is if she needs help, makes me think maybe she deserved all the psychos in her life...

• Members

My first assumption was it was set up by RH Todd maybe--and he, for some reason, hired Walker Double (the real Walker was killed--he was that casnio guy right? Or am I utterly confused) to take over his life, or something... I don't see Todd being in a Christian Vega brainwashed/locked away for years situation. But...

• Members

I used diagnose Todd too but then many years ago the writers began rewriting him and his personality at whim, so just became a very silly idea to apply a clinical diagnose a soap character who changes with the wind.

Besides, even in we used the clinical terms (which is now called Antisocial Personality Disorder) Todd doesn't fully meet that criteria. The term "sociopath" is tossed around far too lightly and not just soap fans.

Archived