Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It is so bizarre how memory works. I very much remember Sasha being killed, but I did not remember Sandra Nelson being in the role during that time. I thought this all happened with Michelle still there. I know Michelle left Feb 97 so my memory was right off on this one. 

• Members

Glad to see Sasha’s death show up it’s been years since I’ve seen it.

Yep! Stafford, Tom and Davis all left within the same week and a half in mid-February. First Garesis came in at the end of Feb, Nelson in mid-March, Aldrich at the beginning of April. Add to the burden of Shari Shattuck as Ashley, with all four characters in front burner storylines it was very easy to remember why Spring 1997 was so darn jarring to watch after seeing a few April episodes in the Vault. Major yikes.

SOD named Gareis as Best Recast of 1997 although I feel that Nelson was definitely a legit contender.

Aldrich who absolutely flopped and was gone by the end of July easily could have been a contender for Worst Recast of 1997. However the even worse debacle that was Shawn Batten on ATWT (along with Josh Taylor on both GL and Days)  was Aldrich’s saving grace. 

• Members

Whenever someone brings up the character of Grace, as portrayed by Jennifer Gareis, I feel compelled to recall the way that Y&R played Sharon dirty.

Gareis's recast coincided with the infamous story of Nick sleeping with Grace when he mistakenly thought it was Sharon in his bed.  However, in order for that plot to be logical, we would have to believe that Nick was not face-to-face with his lover that evening.  Thus, Y&R writers made the audience assume that Sharon prefers "it" from behind.  A rather scandalous character trait that I associate with Sharon every time she has a love scene.

• Members

@soapfan770 The recasts were part of why Y&R was in a lull during the first half of 1997. Remember that Reilly's Days nearly knocked Y&R out of #1 in June 1997. I think that shook up Bill Bell and thankfully Y&R picked up during the second half of 1997.

@j swift Bill Bell had two intoxicated affair storylines before Nick/Grace. Dru/Malcolm when she was over-medicated and Caroline/Ridge after she indulged in too much champagne. I don't recall the Nick/Grace intoxicated affair episode but maybe Nick had his eyes closed the whole time.

• Members

The initial  Nick/Grace one night stand was a pretty tawdry affair and in a way was opposite of what happened with Caroline/Ridge, Dru/Malcolm, and later Ridge/Brooke. Nick was so intoxicated he really thought he was making love to Sharon, but Grace,, living with the pair and having a secret crush on Nick more than happily used it to her advantage and let Nick continue. Yeesh.

But for sure I would say the Sharon/Nick/Grace/Cassie stuff, Danny finally discovering the truth about most of Phyllis’ deceptions, the return of Michael, and Veronica Landers surfacing would definitely set Y&R in a better direction than it was headed.