Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think your'e right about this. some writers aren't professional enough to really STUDY an actor and write the dialogue accordingly. I remember Jess said in an interview once that after she started, the dialogue writers slowly adjusted the dialogue to fit her pattern of speech, as it was quite different from Brenda's. But they couldn't just do it right away, because it would be too jolting. Which is basically why she Imitated Brenda as closely as possible her first few months. I think Kahlil comes off as a spolied bitch princess who has basically has everything handed to her. I remember her talking about how she prepared ofr her cancer storyline... she basically asked some memner of her extendfed family a few questions over dinner or some such thing. How ridiculous.

• Members

Khalil's problem is (and always has been) that she just isn't a sympathetic actress.

She plays EVERYTHING the same way (bitchy & entitled).

Compare her to an actress like Liz Hendrickson who made Chloe, a largely unsympathetic (bordering on insane) recurring nag, into a character that was quite viable (before the scenery chewing & unnecessary family "twist") all on her own.

Or compare her to actresses like Heather Tom, Tricia Cast & Ashley Bashioum who when they were Khalil's age were knocking it out of the park on a regular basis.

Edited by DeeeDee

• Members

When was Kimberlin Brown signed to contract on Y&R?

I was surpsied that she was recurring when she started on the show and even 6 months into her run (episodes are up on YouTube and divine...) she still was.

And was Tracey Bregman nasal voice corrected with surgery or was it some ludicrous acting choice of hers? Rewatching some early stuff I noticed again that up until the mid 90s her speech manner was really different to today...

• Members

I think that she was put on contract on December. Kimberlin herself said that she went from being only 30 days to 3 months and then contract.

It still disappoints me that Sheila doesn't seem to be on a lot of episodes like i thought she was. I'm not just talking about when she was on recurring, but even after they put her on contract, I uploaded 6 episodes from May 1991 she is not there, and then there was a full week of October 1991 episodes, and she was only on 1.

I guess i should be grateful that i was still able to share a bunch of rare Sheila episodes already, but its still something that puzzles me. I luckily have more episodes coming that i know she is apart of. :)

• Members

Thanks, im really looking forward to them too, since one of the episodes i should be getting is the Scott,Sheila,Danny,Cricket dinner party episode that follows the February 4, 1992 episode i uploaded. It will be nice to see Sheila interact with a "new face" (Danny)

I could tell that back then Bill Bells favorites were Victor,Nikki,Ashley, and Jack, (oh and Cricket/Danny) since i feel like in my classic episodes those few are the ones you see everyday. Of course its not fair to judge since i only have certain weeks out of the months/years i have.

Yeah that makes sense regarding the airtime back then, There are some instances where i notice that Katherine wasn't on that much. (Mostly in the 1993 years) And if she was on, her stories usually were the Filler of the episodes. Like having Danny and Rex dress her up for her and Rex's ski trip ( Kind of an odd scene ill admit) and pretty much her talking about things like "Oh i hope Nikki is not thinking of drinking again" blah blah blah. My November 1993 episodes have a lot of Katherine scenes, but i HATE them cause there all of her and Nikki pretty much bad mouthing Hope. Her and Nikki can be soo snobby together!

• Members

To be fair Victor/Ashely/Jack/Nikki was a huge tentpole story (which still goes on to a degree even today) long before Bill even created Sheila.

And Danny/Cricket were a legit supercouple.

So it makes sense they got so much airtime.

But Sheila/Scott/Lauren certainly didn't hurt for airtime.

Especially from the middle to the end of Kimberlin's initial run.

That's part of their charm. laugh.png

Edited by DeeeDee

• Members

Sigh.... Danny and Cricket.... You know, people would say that they were the worse characters on the show at that time, but think about it? How did we go from them to Lily and Cane?!?!?! wacko.png

I have to admit that its fun seeing Nikki and Katherine scenes from back in the day, but in these particular episodes they say soo much harsh stuff about Hope, i would think that even Jill would be sicken with what they were saying.... LOL

I wonder if one of the reasons Sheila wasn't on for the rest of the week it seems like, is because of that once scene where she talked about removing baby Scotty's birthmark? I heard Kimberlin tell stories on how she was even shock she had to do that and Ed Scott told her to keep a low profile and take a few weeks off.

Edited by yr9190

• Members

Agendas & Bad Writing will do it every time.

Danny/Cricket were annoyingly sweet but they were genuine.

Scottie Pippen & The Ostrich? Ew.

Bitchy Nikki is Fun Nikki.

One of the reasons she hated Hope was because she couldn't beat Hope (like she could with Julia, Ashley & Leanna).

The ironic thing Katherine ended up liking Hope (especially once she & Victor broke up). :lol:

One of the reasons Sheila had limited airtime is because her story wasn't an umbrella story.

That's one of the reasons Giggly Pheila failed so bad.

Y&R literally ruined the character to make her interact unnecessarily with their pets.

• Members

LOL, yeah most people back then just complained at how sickenly sweet of a couple Danny and Cricket were, I'll admit after seeing a bunch of older episodes i find some of their seems very corny, but yes they were genuine and Unlike Scottie Pippen and the Ostrich you never had any horrible song montages talking about "wine" and crap. ( Seriously everytime they do that on Y&R now, its always directed at them)

I like bitchy Nikki when she is getting into catfights with Diane. :D Its a shame because of some backstage garbage we will never have Diane back on the show....

Okay, so i have seen that term many times, but an Umbrella story?.... Is that when a story starts out as a new character comes on that has past connections to other characters? I know its a dumb question but i would like to know more about that term.

Pheila.... sad.png

Poor Kimberlin for having to learn about this BS when all she wanted to do was recover from a car accident

The only thing i kind of like was that after so many years of making it seem like she never existed, Everyone in Genoa City finally realized Sheila, I mean i know people must have heard about her on Y&R before, it was actually shocking to see people like Jill,Nikki, Sharon etc... talking about her, which was one of the things that made the story even more bad anyways.

• Members

And that makes all the difference.

Diane makes EVERYONE better.

Victor, Nikki, Ashley, Michael, Jack, Paul, Drucilla, Leanna, Cricket, Victoria.

Even characters like Neil, John & Jill were fun with her.

Yep.

Diane is a very important Y&R character but for years she's been stupidly thrown under the bus to prop other characters.

It's a waste of an awesome character (played by three talented actresses) with a ridiculous amount of ties to the current canvas.

An umbrella story is any major story that uses a lot of character & takes months (sometimes years) to be resolved.

For instance Victor/Nikki's love is an umbrella story, Ryan dying was an umbrella story, Jill Vs. Katherine was an umbrella story, Newman Vs. Jabot was an umbrella story, Dru/Neil/Olivia/Nathan/Keesha/Malcolm was an umbrella story, Billy/Mackenzie was an umbrella story, etc.

Sheila needed to stay on B&B.

Y&R didn't need her & she didn't need Y&R.