Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

LOL, I remember seeing some of those Cricket in disguise clips.....Didn't that whole weird story spam off and on from 2002-2004? I think that was their attempt of giving Lauralee more "meatier" material for Cricket that she wanted to play....It just looked so silly and I couldn't get over how bad the accent she used was...

I got the March 16, 1993 SOD in the mail recently, that covers Y&R's 20th anniversary and they have a fun little section where they ask some of the cast which other characters they would play....(Jill and Victor were popular answers)

When they asked Lauralee, she said she would like to play Ryan, because she would have loved to play a character were 2 people would do anything for her.....(talking about Victoria and Nina with Ryan)

I'm thinking......."Umm......That was exactly the character you played the first 18 or so years you were on the show??........ and still do now to a degree"

Edited by YRfan23

• Members

At one time in the 90's SOD ran a great spread on Y&R called Restless Hearts and it was a pictorial walk down memory lane with lots of photos and a time line.

I also remember these magazines by Sterling/McFadden called History of The Soaps. The storylines synopsis were kind of all over the place, but they had some great rare pics from all the soaps.

• Members

I don't know how to scan articles unfortunately but I don't mind typing stuff up....

They do a Q&A with Bill Bell and he mentions that he filmed a cameo during Cricket and Danny's wedding in Hawaii and he was suppose to be shown talking to some random extra in the background, but they decided to cut his scenes at the last second....he said he was really pissed at that.

They also interviewed Thom Bierdz, Jamie Lynn Bauer, and Brenda Dickson about their experiences on the show...They all surprisingly (even Brenda) had nothing but nice things to say, though JLB points out it was a good and bad experience, but mostly good....Brenda does not talk about any of the drama she went through even once and basically says how she felt bad saying those awful things to Jeanne/Katherine as Jill....

There's also a pretty funny story Jeanne shares about her and Brenda, when Jill had to tell Katherine she was pregnant with Phillip's child.....Apparently Brenda simply couldn't remember to say to Jeanne/Katherine she was pregnant, so Jeanne had to basically spend the whole scene trying to improv to get Brenda to say something..."Are you sick?" etc......I guess after the scene was over a producer had to come in and say "um, Brenda....I think you want to tell her "your pregnant".....and everyone started laughing.....but Jeanne says the whole feud was almost blown because of Brenda forgetting her line....I thought that was funny....

Edited by YRfan23

• Members

Just watched the 1982 episode, or the parts I hadn't seen.

The person who uploaded said if anyone knows the correct exact date, they'll change it from October.

I'd never seen the Katherine scenes in this before. Terrific stuff. I love seeing Katherine spar, even as she showed some of her softer side in fighting Nikki's corner. And Allison was a good for for her - the repressed society lady from hell. I had to laugh when Katherine said she was never so drunk that she would have had a child and given it up during that period. Clearly no one ever told the hack "writers" this 20-25 years later!!

I never knew Katherine's maiden name was Spencer. It sounds odd.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

It's definitely Shepard.....

I'm hoping some unlikely source will give us the correct airdate one of these days.....but I would assume this was no earlier then May 1982?.....it's confusing cause I thought I read somewhere that Snapper, and Sally were gone by April 1982......and Esther was first seen on April 8, 1982 apparently......so the date could also be late April 82.....but then I remembered that Alex Donnelly was said to have come on May 1982 and she is in this episode with Snapper and Sally....

I thought the real October 8, 1982 was once on youtube for a while....I remember it featured Nikki and Katherine talking, and a scruffy young Paul was in Jail for whatever reason.....I also wish someone would re-post that June 1983 show where Andrea Evans Patty shot Jack....

Speaking of Alison, I sort of wish they show gave Katherine more rivals other then Jill over the years......It seems like in the 70's and 80's she had a couple more

(Suzanne and Alison) but In the mid 80's till her death it was mostly Jill.....I guess Nina and Leanna were considered her enemies at some point...especially Nina...

I point that out because it seems like other soaps they give the "matriarch" figure more rivals, then just the "younger vixen" like Stephanie vs Sally on B&B then Kate vs Vivian on DOOL.....you never got anything like that with Katherine later...

• Members

The first part of that video is such a perfect time capsule to how good Y&R was then, and a clear example of Bill Bell's style at a peak time for the show. If you watch that, then anything from the last 15 years, you can't help but see how far the show is from his formula. And not for the better.

Is it dated? Slow? Maybe. Or maybe it's classic and methodical.

And this is coming from a GH fan. The shows could not be more different at their peaks, and I love them for how they are not like each other!

Edited by titan1978