OLTL: Discussion for the week November 8

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Come on, Darren was solely created to prop up Destiny. His entire persona was created just to worship Destiny so she wouldn't be object of pity after Matthew chose Danielle. Why no big outcry that an AA teen was used to prop up another AA teen? It happens all the time with white teens.

Frankly, I find Darren a shallow, annoying character and a throw-away character if I ever saw one. Now Theo Price showed some potential. Theo comes from money yet chose police work and appears very seriously dedicated to it. He's got some major beef with Shaun as they can't stand the sight of each other. THAT brief glimpse into backstory is already 10 times more intriguing than shallow Darren. I'd far prefer RC ditch Darren and use that airtime to explore Shaun/Theo. SR is now on contract and he's the most appealing of all the Evans family. I wouldn't mind seeing more Destiny move in with Shaun and have him raise her, as I enjoyed the Vivian/Destiny/Shaun interaction.

• Members

And Rex threatened to expose Clint kidnapping David. Rex and Clint were tit for tat in criminal behavior. Then Clint threatened Gigi's college scholarship and Rex decided that was more important than Bo's son rotting in jail. Rex hardly looks all heroic and valiant here.

• Members

Once again, Starr reacts the same way Blair does when faced with an emotionally taxing situation. From jumping in the bed with Cole and getting pregnant (all because she thought she was gonna have to move), to begging Schyuler to bed her down, to trying to get into James' pants to take her mind of Cole going to prison. Whenever Starr's head spins about something, her answer is to go for a quick lay to take her mind off of it...just like mom.

• Members

Alas Starr is more Cramer than Manning. Dorian hired a hooker for Kelly as Cramer Women motto appears to be throw yourself into sex (with a stranger) to get past any hurt. They really show no self-respect and use sex as a weapon or some sort of temporary headache medicine. That's a very sad lesson they are teaching Starr AND Langston.

I will give Dorian a little credit for realizing that Markko was a gem and no matter how good in bed Ford is, he's total slime. But alas, Langston is following Dorian's example with David and accepting back yet again a slimey jerk.

• Members

Isn't this pretty much the default for most female characters on OLTL? They just did the story where Natalie and mentally ill Jessica wound up in bed with men after emotionally traumatizing moments.

I think Dani also tried to get Matthew to sleep with her, but I can't remember now.

• Members

I'll give you Jessica.

However, after Jared's death Natalie may have crawled into John's lap for comfort but if she was a Cramer woman she'd have screwed his brains out that very night. Natalie & Brody was a drunken one night stand not an intentional ok let's go out and find someone to screw to make us feel better which appears the mantra of the Cramer women.

Yes Dani once asked Matthew to have sex after a particularly hellish day at school where she was taunted as daughter of the rapist. However, so far that's a one time episode that had more to do with her empathizing with Marty and wanting to control/master sex due to the rape stuff in her head. We've also witnessed Dani go through major trauma after major trauma and that was only time she reacted that way. So until she starts acting like Starr seeking sex repeatedly as a balm, I give her a one time pass.

As pointed out, this is Starr's 3rd sex will make me feel better response. She has become just like her mom, living solely for a man and using sex to deal with her emotional problems. I really hated that James was painted such a great guy for turning her down as it paints Starr so darn weak. Ugh. Then Rex turns down a desperate Kelly. Double Ugh.

• Members

I guess when Starr has been given these relationship stories for, what, four years now, I tend to think she has been about the same as most other female characters who aren't pushed into the older bracket. I remember Gigi getting drunk and asking Sky for sex, and then, not all that long after he turned her down, they did go on to have sex.

I see what you're saying, but I don't remember any Cramer women immediately looking for sex after their boyfriends/husbands died, or they thought they were dead. Blair was pushed into Patrick's story after a few months, so I guess you might count her. I didn't really watch the Higley years so I might have missed something there.

• Members
If they do place Destiny with Matthew, I dread the day the next teen PYWT comes along because I can see Destiny getting the shaft again... they have (most likely unintentionally) set a mattern with Matthew and Destiny... he chooses the white girl(Becca, Danielle) instead of Destiny and when the white girl dumps him, he's back to Destiny... I love the friendship they have and want to see that continue but I am so over any romantic relationship between them because I just don't trust that Destiny would be Matthew's choice if a Becca or Danielle is available and willing...

As goofy, unappealing, annoying as Darren may be to some, I like him and I like the way his relationship with Destiny has been developed... I especially liked seeing him pursuing her (I'm ole school so I prefer the boys doing the chasing)... if tptb see Darren and Darren/Destiny an utter fail, I'll be disappointed because Darren and Darren/Destiny are my cup of tea and when they are on I will definitely tune in.

But if they chose to dump Darren and put Destiny with Matthew, I'd probably still watch but watch dispassionately because I doubt that I will see Destiny as anything other than the default choice (and a lot of that is because of how be behaved with Becca and Danielle)... it will take a lot for me to believe that Destiny would be Matthew's #1 choice if he had the option between her and a Becca or Danielle...

• Members
Given that Darren is a nobody in the sense that he isn't a "legacy" character or the child of a "legacy" character or couple, I didn't see a problem with him "propping" Destiny... if they decided to do with him what they did with Destiny... attach him to an established character(Destiny and he could even very easily be attached to Matthew as well... plus the set up is there for him to have more of a relationship with Nate and Danielle) and then slowly give him more, his being a "prop" is even more OK... while its not such an issue with me (because I don't watch their stories), Ford and James and even Nate (I will watch when he's with the teens) seem to have come one like gang busters and these non connected to a major family newbies, are "shoved down our throats"... at least that's what I read on the boards... :lol: so someone being introduced like Destiny was and they could do with Darren may be more appealing... plus, though I was not watching at the time, I have read about a Ben and Shelia Price, so Darren and Theo could end up being connected to that "legacy" family and since "legacy" seems to be important, that could up their "value" if you will.

• Members

I see no problem with Destiny having a little boyfriend on the side like Darren, they obviously aren't interested in writing for her like they write for Dani or Starr so why not someone like Darren? Sure, they could turn him down a notch or two, just make him a little less pressed, but I still think he's a more believable choice than Matthew. They don't need to make that happen now just so the leftovers from the Dani/Nate ordeal have somebody. Matt and Destiny work perfectly well as friends, I prefer them as friends, this happens all the time in real life. I can totally buy that Destiny's feelings for Matt have now faded and they've just become great buds. Bring in some other girl for Matthew, hell, they should have saved nutty buddy Hannah for him, he could have proved his Asaholeishness dealing with that lunchbox. Destiny suddenly turning Matt's head is disingenuous and insulting to all three actors involved.

• Members

I think they will just stick them together as default. I think the show made its choice with the Fords and unless there's some huge change, Matthew will never be seen as a major character or given a major love interest. He will just sit around or scheme.

Archived