OLTL: Discussion for the week November 8

• Members

That's a disappointing prospect. I think EA has grown into a good young actor. He's kind of giving me the vibe of the young actors who played Kevin and Joey, how they were talented but got SORASd/recast with older sometimes less talented performers. Darren reminds me of the first Terrence on AMC (coincidentally, he and Dondre both guest starred in an episode of The Cosby Show but let me catch myself before I totally digress). The first Terrence reminder makes me wonder about the show recasting the lot of them like AMC did with Terrence and An-Li, like they're kind of doing now with Scott and Marissa. I doubt that'll actually happen (the whole Alderson family thing, do they even care enough about these characters, et cetera), but in recent times the show has been pretty unappologetically transparent about its casting decisions.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If Matthew wasn't a Buchanan I think he would have been recast years ago. The Buchanans are only interesting to the show if they can retcon their pets, like David, or Rex, into the family, or to glom other pets, like the Fords, into the family via relationships or children. Matthew, like all Buchanan sons, will either be meaningless or be dead.

The way they threw him over for Middle-Aged Man was about as blatant as it was successful.

• Members

I think it does -- look at how rarely Joey or Kevin have been used

, Duke is dead, Drew is dead, Zane is offcamera, so are Cord and CJ. They don't care about Matthew but they have no reason to get rid of him either, so they just keep him in a minor role. A show that hypes worthless Nate doesn't exactly have high standards in young leading men.

I doubt they would care that much about Eddie being Kristen's brother. Their bringing in Danielle and keeping Langston around probably serve as backup Starrs anyway.

• Members

I dont get what any of this has to do with it. If anything what you bring up is reasons why they'd have dropped him by now considering he is a Buchanan male.

Lets face it. The onyl reason he got the job in the first place was bc of his family connection on the show. Eddie was a horrible actor for the majority of his run on the show and only got better when he had the wheelchair story. Prior to that, he was very forgettable and oftentimes his acting was wooden and cringeworthy. I was surprised the show never did recast him, but then I rememebred who his sister was and it made sense.

• Members

None of those characters had both parents who stayed on the show at all times -- that's probably the main reason Matthew wasn't written out. My point was that they aren't going to use Matthew beyond that limited capacity. They have nothing but contempt for what the Buchanan family was.

That's why he got the job, sure, but I doubt it has anything to do with why he's still there. I think he got much better a few years ago and is probably one of their stronger young actors.

• Members

It's interesting because that day he got caught with the joint or whatever and debuted as a little prick was the beginning of a great renaissance for his character. He was immediately so much more interesting, a good little actor, and he handled the paralysis material very well. Then the show's "hands got tied"/"arms got twisted" and Schuyler had to go, the gays had to go, Matthew got pushed to the background, all to make room for Carl's beloved Edsels. I guarantee you, if Matthew hit the 'roids they'd write for him too. Any show that will have an actor act an entire episode of dramatic material without a shirt is that superficial.

• Members

When he was younger he couldn't act worth a damn and I prayed for a recast. Sam and Jen died violently, Nora went into a coma and he didn't shed a tear. Then, during the paralysis story, he suddenly became very good, and then very, very good. I think EA's better than his sister now and I liked the Matthew/Dani pairing, a lot. I think Kelley Missal did too - she seems to talk it up from time to time still, though I may have hallucinated those incidents.

He's an attractive enough teen, but he seems to be falling prey to the same logic that drove Chris McKenna from the show, as well as Scott DeFreitas from ATWT. But I think he's excellent and I believe RC did want to write for him - the scuttlebutt was that his story for Matt and Dani was killed in favor of the Ford influx.

• Members
Exactly... here we have Destiny with a major story that is her own... yet we get the reveal and then nothing for more than a week... then we get Destiny, not with her family but running to Danielle apologizing to her... then again nothing for another week... and we will only see Destiny twice more this month so still we won't be getting a consistent flow, just a drop here and a drop there... if Danielle got a hangnail, we'd get a more consistent showing of that than we are getting of Destiny's story.

I agree... as for a girl for Matthew, they could also bring back that girl that went to the prom with Nate... she was such a ball of energy and very peppy and Matthew is so sullen... she'd be a nice contrast for him.

And if she was paired with him, Destiny would be toast once again...

• Members

I could care less about the whole Matthew/Destiny/Darren story. There are way too many teen stories on this show and it should stop for a while. Though I will miss the character of Markko (the one teen I liked), I am glad the whole four muskateers thing is over!

My favorite part about this whole past week is that the show seems to be revamping and heading into a different direction with different character interactions. I don't want to see Cris with Gigi or Rex with Kelly but at least it mixes up the characters a bit. It was a good way to explain to the audience why Kelly still has a thing for Joey (Rex's former adversary and Dorian's former lover). This could be fun.

Marty/John/Natalie is a great story and as soon as Marty brings Brody into it, it will get even better.

The vets story being brought about by Kim Zimmer's arrival has given new life to the show for me. Bringing Clint, Viki, Charlie, Dorian, Roxy into this (even if it is centered around Rex) makes it enjoyable. I too would like to see a build up of people going after Clint but NOT KILLING him....maybe someone just shoots him and he lives. LOL..but a who-dun-it might be fun if written correctly.

James and Starr are OK but maybe cuz I found her with Cole to be so damned dull and James is so-so with me.

Wish Ford and Langston would leave town together and start 'life anew' somewhere else!

Papa Ford should be a great short-term story and that could be an interesting murder mystery. What if he went after Nora because she started to get him out of the way so that Inez would stop running to Bo? That would bring in even more characters.

Anyway...i am anxious to see what is next with this show...FINALLY!

• Members

"Wish Ford and Langston would leave town together and start 'life anew' somewhere else!"

Yes indeed, that would probably be for the best. I will never like him, and at the rate she's been going, I will never like her again (not that I was ever that crazy about this Cramer interloper to begin with, I liked her a lot more when she was being mysterious about her deceased parents). And any fan who is actually rooting for this couple is probably not the kind of person I'd be friends with in real life.

• Members

EA has really matured as an actor and was getting a lot of critical acclaim for his work paralysis story. Sadly Frons prefers "beefcake" paired with his teen girls and EA was pushed aside. No way do I believe RC wanted Nate/Dani as all his setup work was Matt/Dani.

• Members

Early last spring RC's previewed a big story for TnT vs B&N over Matt/Dani. But then came the bloodbath and those plans were abruptly dropped.

I too liked Matt/Dani a lot and alas KM was stuck with wooden LP instead b/c Frons finds him hunkier. It's just another example of Frons interference wrecking story potential.

Honestly, picking friends based on their fictional likes or dislikes, seems pretty darn silly to me.

• Members

TeamEric, I promise you it's not that deep. ^_^

However.

If you can look at 2D fictional characters like Ford and Langston, knowing all that you know about them, and ship them like they're Phil and Tara, why yes, I question your taste and judgment. If only in fictional characters.

Archived