DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Members

I wonder if Bell resented the fact that she jumped ship in the middle of a major storyline, with so much focus on her character, to go to GH. But after she left GH in 1984, it would have been wonderful to see Alexander back on DAYS, on Y&R or even B&B. She was legendary!

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

According to her Bell had kind of decided to focus on other characters for a bit, which is why her contract lapsing wasn’t such a big deal to any of them when ABC swooped in with an offer she couldn’t refuse.  They were focused on launching Y&R and he was giving other characters play after having used Susan so heavily for years.  Doesn’t mean it didn’t piss him off though.

Obviously she was the character because after Alexander leaves she is no longer as major a character.

• Members

I was thinking about Susan Martin and her parallels to Cathy Craig on OLTL.  They were romantic rivals to lead characters who turned into tragic heroines due to the death of their babies.  Only to end their stories (played by recasts) chasing men who did not want them. 

Which in turn led me to vague recollections of Dr Greg Peters, his wife Amanda, and this tidbit that Deidre Hall told about her first day on DOOL when she was on the Kelly Clarkson Show

Please register in order to view this content

Which in turn made me to recall that Lesley Jordan said this week on Watch What Happens that Mary Frann was awful to work with.  Which in turn made me wonder if Deidre Hall shared Lesley Jordan's opinion?

Does anyone have any additional resources to read about Greg and Amanda's relationship?  I guess the fact that both actors are dead doesn't make a return to the show likely, but the Peters were a family steeped in DAYS history.

Edited by j swift

• Members

It’s fascinating how Bell went from writing the number one soap at the time ATWT then to becoming the head scribe at DAYS a brand new soap which was lower in the ratings. 

The death of Susan’s son and subsequent trial sounds similar to TGLs story of MetaBauer/Chuckie/Ted White. Of course it should come as no surprise that Irna Phillips influenced much of Bells writing. 

• Members

It's true that the character's latest major story was winding down, but DAYS was insane to let Alexander's contract expire. She was one of daytime's biggest stars, and one of the most popular actresses by far on the show. It was hard adjusting to her replacement. Bennye Gatteys might have been fine playing another role, and she was an adequate actress overall, but she lacked the intensity and charisma and star appeal that Alexander was blessed with. It was like watching Linda Borgenson  on AW, Victoria Mallory on Y&R or Daniel Pilon on TGL: they simply did not live up to the original actors in their roles. Susan Martin never regained the popularity she had had when Denise Alexander played her. The character started being seen less and less, and then disappeared completely, without even a write-off scene. IIF recall correctly, the last time we saw Susan was at Doug and Julie's wedding in 1976, after being MIA for months. It was a disappointing way to discard a character who had once been hugely important to Salem. 

I know this will sound caustic (I honestly don't mean it to be), but who the heck is Lesley Jordan, and why should we give credence to this person's assessment of Frann's character? I've honestly never heard anyone bad-mouth Frann in the last 50 years, LOL. (On the other hand, there are  some actors who have been rumored to feud with people regularly.)

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

I want to say Deidre had nice things to say about her when she passed, so I think they got along.  The internet is not giving me evidence to back this up, but I remember her saying kind words about her.  You know how co-workers are.  I don't get a long with everyone I work with, but that doesn't mean they are bad people.  I just don't like them lol.  I am sure MF was fine.