DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks for the tags as always!  I checked in my records from a long time ago that I had # 185 through 193 (except for # 191). When I saw 8/8/66 (# 191) posted today, I thought maybe this person might have additional episodes that I did not have, but this is not 8/8/66, it is 8/9/66 (# 192). So it looks like there may be just one more episode (8/10/66, # 193). I don't know if they'll post the wrong airdate and say that their next post is 8/9/66, but it will actually be 8/10/66. But in any case, I'm glad this opened up these episodes to a lot of new people!

Here is the info for the missing episode, # 191:

191...8/8/66:

Cast: Tom, Julie, David, Susan, Bill, Dr. Hendricks.

Sets: David & Susan’s Apartment, Tom’s Study, Hospital Corridor with Phone, Hospital Waiting Room.

• Members

Watching those 66 clips got me looking back at synopses of that era.

It occurred to me in developing those storylines Bill Bell created triangles w/o villians.

Even if people did bad things, their actions were explained, if not justified.

Take Marie marrying Craig but still yearning for Tony.

Nowadays, Craig would probably be  scheming against his son,eg paying some hooker to romance Tony and have Marie find out, or Tony would go psycho and try to bump off his dad.

People weren't schemers in those days, just flawed people who made selfish or misguided actions.

It's a world away from the Days of today.

Such a pity...

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

It's just a shame they can't be held up to people & say, "See? Like this." "Do it like this." Although I am afraid that there are current soap fans who would be too impatient for things to happen. They've learned some bad habits & I don't know anyway to un-learn them.

I just saw a Today In Soaps item that I love:

On May 7, 1970, Susan introduced Doug & Julie.

And, so it begins. And, I just had such a crush on Julie!

Edited by Tonksadora
Add 1 item. Add another item.

• Members

I think that's a very smart take on the situation.

The episodes are also a roadmap on how to produce a soap on a budget.  There are few sets, they don't change clothes that often, or they were professional uniforms, the lighting is good, and the focus is just on the dialogue.  In my mind, modern DAYS always suffers when they try to do too much with too little money.

• Members

@Diongave me this excellent description on this thread a few months back:

John actually is the real Forrest, it's just that he was adopted by the Alamains rather than being their biological child. Who they adopted him from keeps changing though lol.

I think currently we are meant to believe that John's father Yo Ling, formerly Timothy Robicheaux, who escaped to China during the Korean War formed some sort of communist alliance with Petrov, found out John had been adopted by the Alamains and reclaimed him so the Alamains (or maybe just Philomena) let him take John and faked his death in the pool. And John was brainwashed at some private school before Petrov betrayed Yo Ling and took John to Stefano.

I love bitchy Marlena!!

• Members

Yeah that's the current explanation but I think AbcNbc247 is asking how they explained it in the 90s?

During the Princess Gina storyline I think they just said that after Philomena faked his death in the pool and John ended up a priest, Princess Gina would confess her sins (the art thefts and forgeries with Stefano) to him and they also became lovers. Stefano was so incensed that he took John away and brainwashed him to become Roman. And Gina was so heartbroken that she eventually had a mental breakdown necessitating Stefano to use Hope to take her place. 

• Members

I was just looking at that clip someone posted of Renee & Tony (Andre') coming to know more about their feelings for each other & thinking about all of the retconning & re-retconning, et al, that they did with Tony. Of course they did even more with John. I think DOOL did more with retcon layers than any other show. Philece RIP was so good as Renee!