DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I am not sure how talented Jamey Giddens is.  I don't think he's a complete hack.   I do think he knows his soap history.  He just comes into any soap with major biases and favorites, which isn't good.  It's great he loved Renee and PS and wanted to write a tribute to her, but it just doesn't make sense in the current Days landscape.  Idk, I am not a writer, but if I got a job at GH I would make Sonny talk about his undying love for Brenda or something because I love Vanessa and Brenda.  But that makes no sense for what's going on with actual Gh today.  And I don't actually think this is going to bring Tanna that much angst unless Tony gets all sorts of creeping and pursues Sarah.

• Members

He thinks he's a writer but he's not. He has ideas like us on here, but ours are better, and none have been any good. He's the one that wrote the Nicole and Sami scenes that reeked of 80's Dynasty rip off material. 

I was horrified when I heard he was hired.

• Members

A lot of soap fans want to be - or are - soap writers themselves, and they want to support their own. Far more than Jamey and DC ever tried to support the PP soaps, which is why I will never join in with the congratulations. 

• Members

I think that is actually a good way of putting it - I feel like after having seen Ambitions that he's a type of soap fanfic writer that's partly very stuck in a time period (the 80s) and also just one of those people who remembers those big moments but doesn't understand the mechanics on why those big moments were so satisfying in the first place.

Dynasty is a good example - the reason why that first studio catfight was so satisfying wasn't because you had Linda Evans and Joan Collins (well their doubles) duking it out; it was because it had been boiling all season long and it was a gratifying pay-off when Krystle finally realised the depths Alexis would go to and just completely snapped. On the other side of the spectrum, you had that ridiculous catfight between Dominique / Alexis in season 7 because the writers suddenly remembered they hadn't had their yearly catfight yet. Giddens strike me as the type who would write the later scene because he operates in moments rather than actual storytelling.

And you can see it with the Renée plot - he loved Renée so came up with this Sarah-as-Renée abomination despite it making no sense. If he wanted to pay a tribute to Renée/Philece it would've been better to just have Anna and Tony find her diary on the island and have them talk/remember her with flashbacks as fan service.

Edited by te.

• Members

Agree 100% with this.  The story isn't really a tribute to Renee or Philece. We aren't seeing flashbacks, she's not being talked about in a positive light, and LG isn't playing Sarenee anything like Renee.  So basically it's just Renee Dumonde's name being mentioned.

• Members

Dropping in to get a taste of what these shows are doing. So wait. DAYS is currently doing a storyline meant to be a "tribute" to an actress/character that died last summer and was on the show for three years nearly 40 years ago!?!?!?

These people really just write whatever the fck they want.

• Members

It's just odd from the perspective that while Renée seemed to be popular during her three year stint, her character really didn't leave much of a mark on the show unlike say Addie, Samantha and Isabella. Not that I'd want LG to think she's any of those characters, but still. Renée really hasn't had a presence on the show since Philece last appeared in 1984.

Although I guess Sarah-as-Isabella hanging around John's neck and calling Brady her special little guy would be fun. Then they could have Sarah recover for a while, get with Brady (wait, Sarah and Brady aren't blood relatives right?) only to wake up post-coitus thinking she's Isabella again and becoming suicidal because she thinks she's slept with her own son! Hijinks and fun to ensue.

Edited by te.

• Members

Yes, Renee may be memorable to some who watched her in real time, but is not memorable in the scheme of things on the show.  She had no children, Stefano/Tony never really mentioned her, and her run was short.  It seems like this was just a Jamey Giddens fave character and the pitch to Ron worked.  And like I said this is work for the viewers because you would have to google Renee and look up clips to even get a feel for her because this is being so shoddily told. 

Although, I am not going to lie, I would love to see LG play Samantha Evans and think she's Deidre's twin.   For some reason that makes me laugh so hard.