As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

I just want to repeat what everyone else has said - Don Hastings has found the fountain of youth. Flashier characters get more attention, but Don Hastings is one of the true faces of CBS Daytime. I love that he is living his best life.

They mention Hallmark Channel. When the shows were cancelled, I totally dreamed that Hallmark would pick up reruns and then do seasonal reunion movies.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Even if you take the rerun aspect out, P&G is stupid for not going to Hallmark or Lifetime and doing ongoing movies for their canceled soaps. Both networks have a built in system to churn out those films and they have a built in audience. You could literally take any group of characters and throw them into movies about almost anything. Plus it keeps the brand alive. It's as if these people don't want to make money.

• Members

P&G has really missed the boat.  Yes, people would watch those films.  Plus, if they had already put their soaps on a streaming service, the viewership would probably be high right now with everyone stuck in the house searching for their next show to watch.   It's as if P&G doesn't want anyone to know they were producers of decades of soaps.

• Members

I'm not sure how anyone takes away anything other than joy at seeing Don Hastings. He looked great and his memory and demeanor seemed adequate for someone who is rarely invited to speak about his time on ATWT since the show ended. The confusion over Scott Holmes, well guess what? The show had many Scotts!  I laughed out loud when Maura West immediately mentioned Scott Holroyd, when she is married to Scott DeFreitas.  Other people in the chat started mentioning Scott Bryce.  Ultimately, it was Scott Holmes that was being referred to.  No offense but the show ended a decade ago this year and perhaps Hastings and Holmes haven't been in touch since then. Maybe Holmes wasn't his favorite Tom (shrugs), there have only been about at least a half dozen Toms over that show's history. 

I enjoyed watching more than I thought I would. Hopefully a few more of these can be done with the ATWT cast, maybe even reach back further in the show's history and surprise us with more golden age alums.

P&G missed several boats. Those who frequent this thread over the years likely know where I stand on this.  It's so odd how P&G gave a glimpse of the future twice (via a streaming portal on AOL, then via a online streaming platform via the SoapClassics company), only to leave their treasure buried, subject to degradation and deterioration over time.

• Members

Agreed. When it was announced I was a bit "meh" on it, but I truly enjoyed every minute of it.

Just as a quick aside. I don't think I have ever seen the cast photo that is used as the thumbnail for this video. Must have been '99, from the looks of it. The only person I can't immediately place is the guy behind Hal (although when you tell me who it is, I'm sure I'll feel stupid for not thinking of it). I'm not sure if people have like photo collections or something... would anyone happen to have this photo? I'd love to take a better look at it. 

Edited by Brolden

• Members

While watching, I actually had to Google to see how old Don is now because his memory of everyone's families, children, and what said children are doing now was incredible. You had to chuckle because the ladies couldn't remember which of their respective children they were pregnant with during certain storylines. 

Funny how something as simple as a one-hour chat can bring so much joy, particularly during a time that's difficult for so many people.

What an absolute treat. 

• Members

Damn! I wish I was there to see the video live when it originally aired. I think I would've been an emotional mess. 

I am so glad to hear that Don is in great health. He and Kathy constantly stay on my mind as I always felt Kim and Bob were TV grandparents to many. 

I always get a bit teary when it comes to ATWT b/c it was the show that I used to schedule classes around in order to watch it with my dying grandma at the time. It was her fave. 

• Members

Day ??? of Self-isolation and quarantine, finished 1994 and 1995, was wondering if I should move ahead to 1996 and 1997 or just skip to the best parts? 

I was so disappointed when the wheels fell off the Demorest/Walsh tenure but I suppose between FMB and the arrival of the MADD one there was a lot of interference during that time. Bringing back Stenbeck and then hiring a writer from 90210 to write the show, they were completely clueless on how to run ATWT weren't they? 

• Members

YES on Hallmark Channel. I thought the same. Especially since they once had The Doctors and did nothing with it.

Maura was fabulous

Please register in order to view this content

Exactly.

And to be quite blunt, Scott Holmes is the least interesting and memorable Scott actor to be on the show. Scott Holroyd, DeFreitas, Bryce ... love that Maura immediately thought of Holroyd. 

The replay is still available on Alan Locher's youtube channel if you haven't checked it out.