As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

By that time, really, I was not expecting CG and JP of being capable in exploring the subtleties of Nancy's remembrance of Chris and (vs.) Dan.

By contrast - 

I remember at the beginning of their courtship, Nancy told Dan that she'd rather not call him by the nickname used at the police station, "Mac".  When they agreed on "Dan," Nancy made a remark that her best friend's son was also named Dan - a nod to history and a reference to Dan Stewart.

Then, when they danced for the first time - not sure the occasion - the music was, of course, "Always," that she had sung with Chris at their golden wedding anniversary (and used with great effect as flashback when MacLaughlin passed away).  The camera did not forget to capture a jolt of memory on Nancy's face even as she was in Dan's arms.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I remember clips of this performance posted on the WLS blog but has the complete episode been posted?  This episode has a lot of music. They must've had a deal with Jermaine Jackson or something, lol.

It looks as though they're leading up to Whit's murder. He's already got Jay and Steve angry with him.  From what I've read, this was sometime in the first week of August, 1984.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

The music on the show was often an overwrought mess in the early/mid '80s. As was a lot of the show, period. The Whit stuff is so OTT it's difficult to invest. I did like Jay though. I felt like he was wasted potential.

• Members

Lawd how I had a crush on Jay. What a hunk!  Scott Bryce looked so young and so adorable. I liked Tom King and Millie Taggert's writing for ATWT at the time but I thought Horgan was writing at the time. Did she leave before them or come after them?

• Members

Interesting throwback. Jay was very good looking. So was Mark Pinter back then and Robert Horton wasn't bad for an older guy. There was a homoerotic vibe going on in Steve and Frank's scenes at the hospital.

I liked the sign outside the hospital that said Oakdale Memorial. A bit unrealistic most of the doctors are at the party. And only Jeff Ward is working. I always thought Robert Lipton was great as Jeff.This must be near the end of his run.

In the credits I noticed Liz Hubbard's name all the way down at the bottom. This must have been right after she joined the show. There were too many McColls. Not enough Stewarts. Loved seeing David and Ellen dancing.The guy Kim was dancing with (Raymond Speer played by Donald May) didn't last long.The writers soon axed him and put her with Bob. So Raymond was Kim's last guy before settling in with Bob for the long haul.

The actress with the strange last name who plays Maggie Crawford was very good. Can't remember what happened to baby Jill. Marland reused the name later when Linc Lafferty had a girlfriend named Jill. The black characters are very marginally used though of course the two pop singers are black and get plenty of screen time.

I didn't mind this Frannie but Julianne Moore who soon replaced her was really the best one. The actress who played Diana became more known for her later role on Passions.

The short cameo with Phyllis Diller was cute. Back in the days when these shows had big budgets and could bring all kinds of special guests in like this. I think Hilary Bailey was my favorite Margo though I did like Colin and Dolan a lot too. Hilary Bailey and Scott Bryce were so believable as brother and sister.

Gunnar was listed in the credits but did not appear. John was married to Karen at this time. I see Shannon had not been introduced yet but I think she comes on the show soon after this. Lisa is not in the credits. I thought Betsy Von Furstenberg stayed in the role up till Eileen Fulton returned but I guess she did not and there was a bit of a gap.

Does anyone know what month Whit died? The episode where he was killed was Eileen Fulton's first episode back on the show.

Edited by JarrodMFiresofLove

• Members

Thanks. So there wasn't much build up to Whit's death. It happens pretty fast. No wonder Robert Horton seems stressed in his scenes, knowing he's quickly being killed off. All of the main suspects were red herrings. If I remember correctly the housekeeper (Dorothy) did it; she turned out to be Kirk's mother and had a long-standing affair with Whit. Her motive for the killing was weak and nothing foreshadowed that. It was a very rushed murder mystery and probably solved within a month or two.

The housekeeper exited as soon as she was revealed as the culprit, carted off to the loony bin. Except for Brian who stayed on a few more years, all the McColls were written off by 1985. I don't think the family really gelled with audiences. They were shoved on screen, dominated the airwaves and took away screen time from the other long-standing families. I think they were created to give LIsa a new makeshift family but when Eileen left and they had to recast her role it sort of defeated the main purpose of them being there. But at least it gave us Lucinda who was originally brought on as a business foe for Whit. I wouldn't be surprised if the original idea was for Lucinda to be the one who had an affair with Whit years ago and he spurned her, which is why she was out for revenge. And for Whit to be Lily's father. Of course Marland went in a whole other direction with Lucinda and Lily.

• Members

Weren't they cousins?  Frank was played by Jacques Perrault.

Sadly, the actress who was playing Frannie in the 1984 episode, Terri Vandenbosch died several years ago.  I do think that Julianne Moore was a good recast and like Scott Bryce and Hilary Bailey Smith, I though Moore and Marx were believable as siblings (even the light hair).

This August 1984 episode leads right into Whit's murder because in the soap summaries, it says that right after that party, Jay's mother Dorothy has an argument with Whit over his broken promises to marry her as well as whether to tell Kurt the truth. 

In this episode you can see there is setup toward the murder because both Jay and Steve have public outbursts in regards to their animus toward Whit and Craig will be one of the last people to see Whit alive, which happens in this episode.

Boy, now I wish the next episode were posted online, LOL.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

This episode had a little bit of everything. Fun, romance, suspense and lots of great music. I hope more of 1984 pops up.  I'm dying to see Lucinda's early appearances. Interesting to see that the seeds to Bob & Kim's reconciliation germinating.  The more i see of Maggie, Frank, Diana,Marcy and Jay the more i like them. In the last scene with Whit and Craig they even used Giorgio Moroder /Midnight Express music.  Love the special closing credits. 

Edited by victoria foxton