As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Very true.

I also thought the end for Bonnie was just kind of sad and degrading.

To see a show that Marland had made so progressive (in a way that worked for a socially conservative audience) become so retrograde was heartbreaking. I think that's one of the reasons I skipped so much of the last decade.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yes those were Hogan Sheffer creations, and not very good ones. I thought the whole relationship Margo had with Doc Reese was strange. It didn't make much sense.

Some of the black females fared better. I enjoyed Bonnie McKechnie. She was originally a Doug Marland creation, now grown up and brought back to the show by Sheffer. Napiera Groves did a good job as teenaged Bonnie who created a lot of drama for everyone in her orbit.

• Members

Kent was involved in the Juliette Hanovan (Steve's half sister played by Tracy Kolis). Raymond Speer (Donald May) was a spy, from my recollection of the story.

I found this online.... 

INTERNATIONAL SPIES

Raymond Speer
-------------
Raymond, the uncle and guardian of Juliette Hanovan, was a counterspy 
for the U.S. government and a former U.S. Ambassador.  He also briefly 
dated Kim Andropolous(now Hughes).  He kept Juliette and half-brother 
Steve from learning the truth of their father until he rescued Michael 
Christopher by trading himself to the Russians in Amsterdam.  

Simon Westerly
--------------
Simon was really a British intelligence agent who posed as a butler to 
Raymond Speer.

Michael Christopher
-------------------
Michael was the father of Steve by the late Marina Andropolous and 
Juliette by the late concert pianist Sophia Hanovan.  He actually was 
a counterspy for the U.S. government and was held prisoner in the 
Soviet Union until his rescue by Raymond Speer in Amsterdam.  He was 
last seen in Montega during the first revolution.

From Julie Poll's As the World Turns book...

-Kent was engaged to Juliette Hanovan when she came to town.

-Juliette ended the engagement when she fell for Brian McCall.

Tucker Foster had three love interests that I recall,  Officer Samantha Jones (Juanita Mahone), Heather Dalton and Beverly Taylor (Wendy Edmead). Beverly was Lucinda's assistant. She brought Otis Sutton (record producer played by Charles Brown) to woo Heather away with a recording contract.

Edited by slick jones

• Members

That's definitely not Eddie Earl Hatch, but he doesn't look at all familiar. Perhaps he was Kim's date?

It was over at the MediaDomain board. They gave lots of characters nicknames. Holdumb/Holden, St (or Officer)JackAss/Jack, Snarly/Carly, etc.  

Katie was often referred to as Barbie (because of her looks). Then because her stories always seemed lightweight or filler type plots, (and at one point I believe she actually did have a rabbit named Fluffy) we started calling her Fluffy (or FlufferNutter if she was chasing her man) .  Also Bubbles, because that was Henry's nickname for her. 

Just read an interview with Tamara Tunie where she likens Sheffer to Marland. Mind boggling to say the least. Its a new interview where she talks a little about her role on Dietland.

Edited by P.J.

• Members

That actor looks familiar to me but I can't figure out who he is. He looks like a West Coast soap actor of that era - not a big one.

I think it may be Kim's husband, Robert J. Urich. She married him in 1981. Here's what he looks like:

interview-Ml5BanBnXkFtZTgwODE2MDAzOTE40.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Sheffer seemed like such a breath of fresh air initially. I remember Laiman had written Andy as faking paralysis, and it was such a silly, inane plot. Then Hogan’s stuff started, and he included a scene of Andy in a support group with people actually dealing with disabilities, and I thought, “That’s a character moment Laiman would have never done.” And the Rose D’Angelo doppelgänger story became so much more than a dumb lookalike plot, and he seemed to value Colleen Zenk. 

Of course, we all saw the misogynistic mess the show devolved into (Hogan giving the guys their “dicks” back).

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

AFAIC, they could have named it Roadkill.

Not that I'm defending Sheffer, but I think part of that was due to P&G "schooling" him on what they thought made for good soap opera.  Then, of course, I think a certain amount of cynicism, borne out of constant network and sponsor interference, began to creep into his work.

Edited by Khan