Dallas 2.0: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

Pressed! laugh.png I don't know his name, but if you head over to Ultimate Dallas, I'm sure they have character/actor profiles.

ETA: Cheap, I did a little research for you and no luck. Every synopsis refers to him as Cano's "thug", or "man", no government. And he's not listed on IMDb or tv.com in the cast lists. When they air that episode again, do process of elimination most likely in the end credits (if they're not all squished and you can actually read them).

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

First time in this thread. But Ive watched every episode of the series. Its so great. One twist after another and its going to be so sad saygood bye to JR.

Question, was the orginal series as dark as the reboot and did it move as fast?

Ive never watched the oginal run but I plan to do that soon

I love Bobby Ewing

• Members

I want to say no but then again that was during the 70s and 80s.... when the times change sometimes the feel and theme of a show will do the same and that's what I these showrunners have done. I don't mind it to a degree because sometimes it leaves me hanging on the edge of my seat ex. thinking the po-po were coming for PamBecca. But definitely watch the original so much soapy goodness, no one did it quite like them.

• Members

:(

VP says no to returning to Dallas ever

“Since the inception of ‘Dallas’, the creators and fans around the world have referred to Bobby and Pam, as the Romeo & Juliet of ‘Dallas’. I could not agree more. And since the original author of this scenario, William Shakespeare, felt compelled to make theirs a tragic love story, of epic and unforgettable deathly loss, I think I shall respect that very successful example, and leave the legacy of Bobby & Pam’s tragic love story, undisturbed and intact.

When I filmed Pam’s fatal car accident, for me that was the punctuation mark on my role as Pam. I cannot be held responsible for any choices made by producers, once I left ‘Dallas’, but I do take responsibility for my decision, not to risk tarnishing Bobby & Pam’s love story, with a desperate reappearance. I made this decision a long time ago with a loving and respectful heart for ‘Dallas’, Bobby & Pam and all faithful fans.”

http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/victoria-principal-dallas-not-returning-tnt-series/

• Members

sad.png

But I respect her for standing by her guns which, unfortunately, means never returning.

Also, Dallas got 2.55 million and 0.7 in the demo. I think. Is that up? Even? Seems like I saw those numbers last week. IDK. I skipped over some posts to avoid spoilage for me so I do apologize if the ratings had already been discussed ...

• Members

I believe its a little up from last week...the ratings have leveled off ....I understand her reasoning but we never really got a true ending to Pam after the car crash. It would have been great to see a reunion with a big cliffhanger to end the season in case there was no season 3.

• Members

I'm glad she's not returning. Just judging by what we've gotten for others, I highly doubt it wouldn't be worth it. Snarky on Ultimate Dallas referred to the show as The Ann Ewing Show, which is very true. We know almost nothing about the existing characters, where they've been the past 20 years, how their relationships got to the current (like the ridiculous John Ross/Sue Ellen backstory), but we know all about Ann. If Pam came back the story would probably be about how ANN feels and ANN keeping her man, etc. Bobby hasn't done a damn thing since this show began except hold Ann's hand.

I also wouldn't look forward to the character assasination it would take to keep Bobby with Ann (a woman he has no chemistry with) as opposed to going back with his true love.

• Members

I concur.

It stung a little when she called her hypothetical return "desperate", but frankly, that's probably the honest to God truth in terms of how it would most likely play out. It's best left undone, particularly if she wouldn't be willing to do multi-episodes. Showing up for anything less than a half season's worth of episodes would leave classic Dallas fans even more frustrated and unsatisfied. That said, if they had Cliff make a mysterious and vague reference to his very alive sister, I would not mind that at all.

I won't pretend that it doesn't hurt though when actors make such firm declarations about not returning to their famous, beloved characters. It's like when Beverlee McKinsey made it clear that she wouldn't be reprising Alex in no uncertain terms. We love these people, we want to see them on our screens, but we have to respect their decisions. They're the ones who have to show up for work and perhaps revisit unpleasant memories. We have the easy job of sitting back and watching them dazzle us.

• Members

I really don't think Pam was needed, if they played things correctly. A better, more believable love interest for Bobby could draw attention away from the Pam aspect. The fact that people are STILL talking about her, the fact that Deadline would put her on the front page just shows how inadequate Brenda Strong is. Considering how Pamela Rebecca is and how Cliff is acting, they could easily throw Katherine into the mix as a mentor of sorts for Pamela and just mention that the original Pam is dead. Close that door and move on.

I also feel if they brought on Bobby's biological son it might help draw attention away from Pam, since the story wouldn't be as centered around Christopher. Or Flopstopher, however you wanna put it.

• Members

I feel that after JR the biggest, most important character on the show was Pam. Everything that happened on the show from the Barnes/Ewing feud to Jenna Wade to Kristin's baby Christopher to the addition of Katherine was always seemed to be done to make Pam miserable. That is not to say Sue Ellen's traumas were not important but Pam's troubles always somehow came back to Barnes vs Ewing, the very foundation of Dallas. And she was the Barnes married to the Ewing so her place in the primary theme of the show was paramount. Pam is needed, and the show took a huge hit when she left, and was never the same again.

After Pam I would say Cliff is most needed since he is the enemy of the Ewings. I am bummed she is not back because I don't think Dallas can survive without JR and Pam. Bobby is now merely a nice guy Ewing who has no stake in the Barnes/Ewing feud, his marriage to Ann contributes nothing, and without JR Cliff has lost all his motivation.

• Members

Pam was crucial to the original show, but I think it's reasonable for the new series to go on without her. I think, if anybody, Sue Ellen (as written) is a useless character. I just think the problem is that the focus isn't strong enough on developing the Ewing family. Gary, for example, would be a great choice to make a series regular (along with Val), along with Lucas (as opposed to Elena's brother). With Gary and Val there is a strong history, but also they're a blank slate when it comes to Dallas.

• Members

IMHO there needs to be more in depth character interaction. I'm just not caring like I should (nostalgia and JR aside). I ran to watch episodes last season this season it's almost a struggle. The show isnt at all bad but I feel like there is just something lacking.

Archived