Dallas 2.0: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

I don't really see the need for Elena's brother at this point, but they're probably just getting warmed up with him, establishing his spot for bigger stuff down the line. They have set him and Elena up in the Cliff and Pam mold.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I still dont see the point of Elena and her brother. I'd rather the time we will be spending on those siblings to be better devoted to longer scenes between characters.

Right now, I do enjoy some of the things happening on the show.. but the pacing, choppy scenes, etc are keeping me from totally investing in the show. Plus, I'm not a big fan of all the procedural elements being thrown in.

• Members

Rebecca is supposed to still be pregnant right? If so, why the hell isnt she shownig? Didnt some time pass between the finale and the premiere? I looked for a belly the morning after she had sex with JR, and I dont see much

Cosign on Elena and her brother but I do think they are laying the groundwork for him to get more integrated down the line for a bigger story.

• Members

Pregnant with twins, no less, but I don't remember how much time if any was supposed to pass since last season's finale. Yikes, how soon we forget.

Soaplovers, I was totally picking up on those little procedural elements too, specifically the gun analysis. Honestly, if that's what they feel they need to do in order to make this show more relevant in today's television landscape, I don't mind so much. I think it's more of a subconscious visual thing they're trying to sell.

• Members

JR, Sue Ellen, and John Ross make this show for me. Sue Ellen is just one fierce diva and I love her attitude. I'm young and never watched the original Dallas but I heard about it from my parents and their age mates so I've come to respect it over the years for what it was and still is....an iconic televsion show. I'm very sad that I won't get to see more of Larry Hagman on Dallas 2012 but I hope to one day buy the complete set of the show and watch all his earlier work.

As for John Ross.....Josh Henderson is so damn fine and he's not half bad at acting IMO (for a show like this). Plus his chemistry with Rebecca (I also wish they'd stop calling her Pamela...hate the name) is just so hot.

On Episode 2 now and hope to be caught up by weekends end....

• Members

I thought the smartest thing would've been to do a cliffhanger with JR's death and bring it back in the summer for (hopefully) higher ratings. Instead, the last four episodes will air in two hour blocks, which feels more like a burn off to me. I can understand airing the finale as two hours, but two two-hour episodes in a row is odd. It certainly won't help the ratings either. It feels like they're trying to hurry and finish this season and call it a day.

Sue Ellen is my least favorite character on this new show. I still don't think the writers have a handle on who she should be. On the original she went downhill for similar reasons and I don't see it changing. As written, she's useless.

• Members

The ratings aren't great this season as we all know so the talk is that TNT will move it back to the summer to see if the ratings go back up. There is too much competition during the fall/spring. If not...TNT might cancel Dallas but I hear TNT is really invested in it. We shall see...I never thought we'd see Dallas ever again and to get 2 season of it is better than nothing. I will say Season's 1 awful beginning didn't help out this season.

• Members

The fact that they're burning episodes off (when they have 15 to work with) is why I doubt they'll start things up again in the summer. Worldwide people have tuned in to see Dallas and then they rapidly leave. The lagging international ratings won't help. The biggest killers for this show are:

1. The writing. It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too plot driven and it also feels very dated. This reminds me of a failed 90s soap. The lack of strong characters make it hard for viewers to tune in week after week.

2. The lack of cliffhanger from season one. Since there was no cliffhanger, TNT had nothing to promote when the show returned. And considering we all knew Rebecca was Pamela Rebecca before the pilot aired, that is not a cliffhanger.

3. The casting. The cast is very weak and has several roles miscast. Jesse Metcalfe and Jordana Brewster are the two most glaring screw ups. I also think Patrick Duffy and Brenda Strong aren't used to their strengths. Same goes for Linda Gray who should be more of a manipulative shrew, similar to Judith Light's character, but less evil.

• Members

Chris and Elen are just boring and not strong enough to be credible rivals to JR and Rebecca. Its just pathetic really. I mean anyone who watches the show would never think that Chris could possibly outwit John Ross or that Elena is somehow on the same level of fierceness or ruthlessness as Rebecca.

The first step is recasting the two of them immediately.

Patrick Duffy love him or hate him has to stay for familarity.

I def agree that Fall/Spring is the wrong time for it to air. Just way too much competition out there. Summer would work best.

This season has been good but they really need to up the ante to get people really interested. While I'm enjoying the episodes there's nothing there that makes me want to drop everything and watch Dallas immediately. Its NOT The Vampire Diaries Season 1. Nor is it like Revenge Season 1....

• Members

For me, it's one of my handful of must-see weekly shows and I think that has everything to do with the nostalgia factor. I started and stuck with Dallas 2.0 based off of that. I have a really hard time taking on new series ever since I started to get burned in the late '90s when shows were being cancelled left and right without even a chance. If you have no gut investment in the Dallas franchise, I can easily understand how this show could be an afterthought. I really enjoy it though and hope that it gets a third season. And killing off Frank was a big mistake imo because I feel like there was a ton of untapped potential in that character, revealed in his final scenes of all places. Chris was talking about this in the PP: AMC/OLTL thread, but Dallas 2.0 was wise to broaden their canvas with a new family (Harris, Judith), and Frank was a similar step in that good direction, being tied to the Barneses at that.

Archived