August 23-27, 2010

Toups

• Members

This time of year especially around Labor Day is usually a low point for soaps so I didn't expect a good week. The weeks after Labor Day is when ratings usually start to pick back up from the spring not the summer.

ABC is doing well year to year with both GH and AMC this summer so its been a positive for those shows. People hate GH so much that they want to call Marcil's comeback a failure when characters don't impact ratings anymore especially in today's ratings climate. Like I said before GH is up year to year this summer and that's all that matter more than looking for 4 million viewers which they'll never reach again.

The cause of concern for ABC is OLTL which is having a real down stretch right now but it looks like their moving the show to LA which should've been done last year. Its probably time for OLTL to rebuild that show. All of the remaining soaps are based out of LA and it does seem to make soaps a lot less expensive b/c all of the ones receiving the axe in the past couple of years were based out of New York.

DAYS is another program that needs to show some improvements but that probably won't come until the fall just like all of the other soaps.

Y&R and B&B despite CBS' heavy axe swinging are still performing much like they did 2-3 years ago this summer.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hence why its a failure. ABC put ALOT into Vanessa's return bc they expeted her comeback to have a huge impact on ratings. The fact is that it didnt and all that money poured into her with all the hyping and promoting seems to have all been for nothing

• Members

I thought, by now, with all the returns and soap mag press, that ATWT would be up in 4th place by now. The show is scary stable, with the ratings almost never shifting. Cool, they came in at 5th place but that was at a 1.7 in HH and tied with half-dead AMC and OLTL. The writing has been pure cheeze wiz, from Bab's wedding to Nancy's death. and the show feels more like the Walton's than a 2010 soap--Pissy can't do Marland -style family love. Nonetheless, I thought that there would be some last minute ratings gains. I am impressed that ATWT is 2ed in girls 12-17 which would suggest eventual gains in 18-49 if the show were not DOA.

Wow, AMC has really tanked. The ratings were far better under Pratt. Sad that Gh is the top ABC show at 1.8--ouch!

• Members

What returns? John Dixon is the only one with any real power and that was not even all that much of an item for the soap magazines. GL had much bigger returns and their ratings weren't helped.

The show is doing well to have not crashed after cancellation, as GL did.

• Members

Read SOW magazine today as I was ;picking up the ATWT tribute magazine and saw ATWT at #3 in the ratings with OLTL and Days in the bottom of the ratings. Of course SOW takes the Live viewing ratings only that were used in the past. It still boggles my mind that ATWT is getting cancelled with others shows as poorly rated too...oh well.....

Archived