How much longer does CW have?

Eric83

• Members

Even if the new Nikita remake is successful I hope the CW stops with the remakes. They have one that failed and one that never did anything well beyond it's pilot.

If they ever get shows with black actors, I hope they promote them better. There was hardly any promos for the black sitcoms and a ton for the other shows like Gossip Girl.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not true. When the two networks merged The WB brought their greatest assets to the CW, and UPN brought theirs (which happened to be black sitcoms). Reba was not cancelled because it was a white sitcom, that is totally irrelevant.

• Members

Yeah. Reba, because of good ratings, was given a pity pick up for a 13 episode final season and I think was one of the highest rated CW shows and still got cancelled.

Dawn Ostroff should have picked up Veronica Mars (cult favorite) and Everwood (another cult favorite). I think many fans are STILL bitter over them being cancelled. They never should have renewed 7th Heaven. They only did because it got a ton of viewers for it's finale on the WB.

CW needs an overhaul. OTH is past it's prime. It's done. Time to move on.

90210 has so much potential but it feels so ... generic when it doesn't need to be. Nothing stands out about it and it makes me really sad. LOL

The WB should have just stuck around, taking over the UPN affiliates. I liked the idea of the CW but it's been so mishandled.

And BTW, All My Shadows, ABC Family HAD a drama with black leads, it was Lincoln Heights and it was cancelled after like 2 seasons ...

• Members

The problem with CW is that they don't have any very successful shows that would balance out lower rated quality programs. Reba could have been the hit that would have helped pay for quality shows.

Most networks dump black shows as soon as they feel they are successful without them...if Players is a success NBC might do the same in a few years, of course it depends on the rest of their lineup. They have been lucky recently, managing to get a few new shows which seem popular (like Parenthood).

As for CW, it's the same problem as I had with WB after their first few years, it all became so stylized and catered to a certain niche I had no interest in. I always seem to prefer the first few years of a network, when it's rougher around the edges (give me the apartment, 60s reruns FX any day over garbage like Nip/Tuck or Rescue Me).

• Members

I still like GOSSIP GIRL, in spite of the machinations used to keep Blair and Chuck apart. I can even deal with Blair going to NYU (or did she transfer to Barnard? I don't remember).

I don't watch anything else on CW. I liked OTH for awhile, but got so sick of everyone's going back to Paul Johanssen's character for more abuse, I stopped watching. Way beyond viable, that character.

• Members

If it wasn't for Vampire Diaries, this network would be utterly useless, of course I wouldn't mind it if Diaries moved to another network, but in reality such a good thing isn't going to come true. I think the CW needs to stop trying to recapture the success of the other shows they have by cloning them, and instead try to break the mold with new shows with fresh ideas, maybe they'd have a few more hits on their hands.

• Members

This network is doomed from the start: their target demo is simply no longer watching regular TV. It's as easy as that.

You need some must-see tv stuff to get the audience watching and this is hard to achieve: Vampire Diaries is only working because of the current Twilight craze and will soon fade.

I used to watch lots of THE WB shows - but even quit Smallville years ago - and the only the show I ever watched on The CW was the new Melrose PLace. I don't see any reason to check out sth. else since their line-up is uber-targeted for giggly school girls...

• Members

The only way any of these pathetic netlets will survive is if their parent company decides to acquire some sort of sport for them.

FOX was merely a "netlet" until Rupert Murdoch banked everything on football. It was an investment that paid off in the long run.

If FOX or Paramount were smart, they would have done everything to snatch NBA or NCAA basketball rights for their respective netlets, MyNetworkTV or the CW.

• Members

I forgot all about MyNetWork :lol: I think the prob with the CW is it's kinda too samey. The only show I reallt watch on it is Vampire Diaries which I only tuned into because I'm always curious to see what Kevin Williamson is up to and became a surprise fave of mine last year. I also follow Supernatural--mainly cuz the guy I see loves it, but it has some good and some bad moments (though I have little faith in it this year now that it's changing direction and the creator has left). I used to follow One Tree Hill--loved Season 1 almost despite myself, but can't believe it's still on, and as much as I love campy soaps this is one show that was better when it was more realistic--and watched the first few Top Models (also can't believe their still making them...) I do think it needs to find a new direction or something--a night of sitcoms wouldn't be a bad idea. I know a lot of (primarily women) in their 20s and ealry 30s who have become fans of Vampire Diaries despite themselves so I think they could build for a TINY bit of an older demo. Nikita is actually getting decent word of mouth but I have to agree on the remake thing (and that was my whole problem with 90210 and Melrose--90210 to me just feels generic, as someone else said. Melrose though was even more wrong headed--it felt like a high school version of Melrose--everyone seemed so young--whereas I think the network coulda had a chance to grab some of the audience who grew up on the original version--nothing about this remake would appeal tothem except maybe the chance to briefly see the characters you once remembered in their little cameos...

• Members

The average age of TVD's audience, I believe, is like 33 or 35 or something like that. So yeah, that goes perfectly in line with the "teens don't watch no networks!!" reasoning and the "CW needs to broaden their horizons" reasoning.

As far as the remakes, I couldn't agree more. I don't need a carbon copy of the original, but I want the look and feel, the tone, the idea to be the same. The only similarities 90210 has with BH90210 are superficial (look! the theme song!! look, they're from Middle America!! look, it's West Bev!!).

Archived