How much longer does CW have?

Eric83

• Members

I'm still watching 90210 and Gossip Girl, and I kind of enjoyed the end of the latest GG-season. But the only CW-show I'm totally crazy about, is Supernatural. It's my favorite show actually. The story they've got going is brilliant. And I'm convinced they've got something up their sleeves for this (presumably) last season. It will rock our socks off.

That is true. The VM-fans are very bitter, I'm one of them! That show had such a bright future and it was brutally cut off.

Oh and yeah, the 7th Heaven renewal was VERY upsetting.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Does 90210 even feature the older cast members anymore? (I watched maybe half an episode this past season). But that's exactly it, the tone is all wrong, it's GENERIC. As was Melrose. And even if they're not gonna try to go back to the original tone, could they find at least something to distinguish it so when you flip the channel you don't think it's one of their other shows? The cast of the new Melrose largely didn't even look any older than 90210's--there was no reason for it.

Cheyenne as I said, with the creator/show runner of Supernatural gone because he said he told the story he wanted to tell and it finished--and the fact they're going to focus apparently on "creatures" this year (I guess a bit like the first season), so no more demons etc, I dunno... I think it could go out with a whimper, not with a bang. But I'm a pessimist ;)

• Members

I just wish CW would develop some sitcoms. :(

Completely shooting themselves in the foot with the same ol', same ol' crap.

Hopefully with the possibility of OTH, Supernatural, and Smallville all going this year, and 90210/GG not doing so hot will force them to re-evaluate their schedule, and what's working and what's not.

• Members

Yes, 7th Heaven lost one third of its audience after the merger, but the show still had more viewers than most CW shows have these days: 3.5 million on average. Same goes for Veronica Mars and Gilmore Girls which were cancelled along 7th Heaven in 2007.

90210 and Gossip Girl have like 2 million viewers on average, The Vampire Diaries, Smallville and Supernatural between 2.5 and 3.5 million viewers. I know they also add DVR viewings to their final calculations, but in the end a 25 percent increase of barely nothing stays barely nothing.

• Members

Melrose Place should have had a better balance between the old favorites and the new characters, who should have LOOKED in their late 20s/early 30s. It had promise but it was squandered. And what sucked was that it took the end of the season for the writers to write the old characters like their original selves. And killing off Sydney was a BIG mistake. I think a lot of interest for the new MP died once that was leaked. They wrote all of the original characters to be such MEAN people. Very unlikable. Even Jo was a bitch until her last scene in her return episode. They all finally seemed like themselves in the mini reunion episode. Josie Bisset I bet would have returned full time. I also think Daphne Zuniga could have been enticed to appear more regularly, and I'm sure Grant Show would have given up and shown up. They also made a mistake having David be Michael's son instead of how he was originally going to be Jake's. Ella, Jonah and Lauren were the only three I ever really liked and I liked Drew's potential. It was just a misfire, which again is a shame. The potential was there.

90210, same thing, overall. They sometimes use Ryan (who dated Ivy's mother Laurel and knocked up Jen, Naomi's sister), but he seems out of place to be honest. Debbie will be single in the new season (Harry's gone). Brenda and Donna only appeared in Season 1. Kelly barely appeared in Season 2. She was dropped right after Jackie's death. The writers tried to develop a triangle between Kelly/Harry/Debbie but Jennie Garth nixed it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
I just can't get over Amanda Woodward being an accomplice to art theft. Incredibly cliche(for a show that was already mired in it) and completely out of character for Amanda. Even if she took her finances down the tubes, she'd find a less stupid way to get the money.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Does anyone have any theories as to why the ratings for the shows have been anemic? Even crown jewel The Vampire Diaries is starting to go down. I keep hearing how good it, Nikita, and 90210 is but the ratings never seem to reflect that. Outside of the internet, American Idol, and whatever current sport playoffs are on ( these things have always been a factor since the CW's debut) what other reason could the ratings be down? Is it just because ratings are down all around?

• Members

I think, also, they focus on promoting certain shows and practically ignore others. Supernatural has survived this long not because of any great promotion by the network but because of its vocal group of fans. You would think the network would have pimped out JA and JP like crazy the last 6 years to appeal to that young female demo it so desperately covets but it takes the fans voting for a TV Guide cover to get these guys' faces beyond the CW and scifi mags/websites.

Archived