How much longer does CW have?

Eric83

• Members

Not much to say here. The network will never be a primary contender. This season is likely the last for Smallville, Supernatural, and One Tree Hill. Shows like 90210 and Gossip Girl have failed to live up to the hype of their first seasons. And their only success is The Vampire Diaries, and I guess ANTM. So how long do you guys think this network can last?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hate them bc they got rid of The Game and Everybody hates Chris. But at least Girlfriends will get new life on a network that actually seems invested in it. The CW sucks. The only show left that I watch is 90210. I much preferred UPN and the WB.

I cant believe that ANTM is still going on. I just read that it was renewed for its 15th and 16th cycle! I dropped that show ages ago

• Members

You mean The Game right? :P

And yeah I am mad they dropped the sitcoms off the network. The network needed some diversity. I would have rathered UPN/WB stayed separate. They just didn't match, they were two different networks by the time they merged.

• Members

Oh and they also are dumb when it comes to picking up shows. I read that they passed up on Pretty Little Liars. SO DAMN STUPID. That show has tons of buzz and is rated better than most of their shows on a freakin' cable network! It could have given much life to this dead network.

They are going to collapse with Supernatural, Smallville, and One Tree Hill possibly leaving. And what are they going to dow with 90210 and Gossip Girl? It is sad that The Vampire Diaries is the only show that will potentially be worth a renewal into 2011-2012.

That was horrible. Didn't 7th Heaven's ratings suck that year anyway? I thought it was right by ending its run as the WB came to a close. Ugh.

• Members

I miss The WB as well. The CW wouldn't be so bad if they just worked with what they got and tried to do more with their ten hours a week. There's no need for an OTH and a 90210 and a Gossip Girl and a Life Unexpected. One or two would have to go. Really, I'd dump OTH, 90210, and LU, and create a new OTH/DC-like show (with a predominantly black cast...because it's long overdue) to take the place of those three. Smallville would have to go too. Something like this:

Monday: new teen drama/Gossip Girl

Tuesday: two new sitcoms/Hellcats

Wednesday: Top Model/two new sitcoms

Thursday: Vampire Diaries/Nikita

Friday: new fantasy drama/Supernatural

I wonder if they would ever consider programming Sundays again...

• Members

^ I'd like that. If they did do Sundays, I used to love how the WB had their sitcoms on Sundays. Boy is it bringing back memories of watching Sister, Sister, Smart Guy, The Wayans Bros. , etc. :( Maybe have sitcoms 7-9pm, and a drama on at 9. They really need to shake up their lineup. It's essentialy the same thing every night.

• Members

The problem with that is that they'd most likely drop it after 2 seasons even if it were doing relatively well. Unforutnately I dont have much faith or confidence in them being invested in a show like that. They'd get the audience in to watch that and then drop it, hoping they'd disperse to their next show featuring the typical rich young white kids cast.

• Members

They just need to cut the shows that aren't working, move their shows around and restructure everything.

First of all, they need to expand their demographic. They need to try and appeal to W18-49 too. I would expand the programming hours from 7 until 11.

Monday: 7 and 730 - Two new sitcoms....8-9, Gossip Girl...9-10, 90210...10-11, a new drama show, maybe a medical or legal one. something that could appeal to ADULTS and YOUNG ADULTS instead of just teen girls.

Tuesday: 7-8 - entertainment/talk show....8-9,Life Unexpected... 9-10, new teen drama...10-11, Dynasty (A reboot, featuring Linda Evans, Joan Collins, maybe Heather Locklear and Emma Samms, but a new younger cast, with connections to the old cast...This would appeal to older fans of the original, and newer generations)

Wednesday: 7 and 730 - Two new sitcoms....8-9, New Reality Show (Real Housewives/Jersey shore, etc. type of show)...9-10, America's Next Top Model...10-11, Rotating on a weekly basis reruns of 90210, Dynasty, and Life Unexpected)

Thursday: 7-8 Nikikita...8-9, Hellcats....9-10, The Vampire Diaries...10 and 1030, encores of two of the four new sitcoms, rotating series' each weeks.

Friday: 7-730, CW Entertainment News...730-8, Encore sitcom presentation...8-9, New talk/variety/entertainment show...9-10, One Tree Hill OR other new young adult drama....10-11, new crime drama.

Saturday; No original programming.

Sunday: 6-8PM, Cw Presents: Feature Film Favorites, similar to "Wonderful World of Disney".....8-830, new sitcom...830-9, new sitcom....9-10, soapy new drama, similar to desperate housewives...10-11, new drama series.

I think if they did something like that, they could really keep what WORKS for them on the schedule, but still rejuvenate and pump new life into their programming.

• Members

^ They won't air new shows at 7pm. That just wouldn't work. Wouldn't they have to buy that time from the affiliates or something? It's better they stick to the 8-10 format. They wouldn't have enough money for the pilots anyway.

• Members

So unfortunate but true...ugh. I'd love a drama about black teens in a small southern town, with an emphasis on the gorgeous scenery like Dawson's had. No one's put anything like that on the air at all...ever, so we don't know even know if it would be successful or not.

I gotta disagree with this. I think they could do well with just going after the 15-30 age group. The other four networks have more than enough programming to satisfy those who want another crime drama or another medical drama or another legal drama, etc. And The CW is in no position at all to program four hours a night.

• Members

sadly BET seems to be the most likely outlet for a show like this. As far as networks go, I can kinda see that on like ABC, but even that is a stretch. They'd probably have it on Friday or some bad timeslot where it would be doomed to fail

• Members

IDK...NBC's new show Undercovers kinda gives me a little hope that the networks might "take a gamble" on shows with black leads again. If not, I think ABC Family could do something like that. Their shows all have big ensembles, so maybe it'd be easier to make it an ensemble where the lead is black.

• Members

I much prefered WB as opposed to CW. When CW was formed, they only wanted to have black comedy shows and tried to cancel Reba (highest rated comedy on WB) but had to pick it up for 13 episodes to avoid paying a hefty fee. When the 13 episodes aired on Cw's first season, it far outranked the other comedies and yet they cancelled it.

I think if CW found well-written comedy shows (irregardless if with a black, white, latino, asian, or combo) then it would help their overall appeal. Right now, they are too focused on the teen demo. Read an above post, they were stupid to pass up Pretty Little Liars!

Archived