July 19-23, 2010

Toups

• Members

Umm...Jamey has also been wrong plenty of times as well. And they were the ONLY people to report it. If it were true there would have been more serious reports.

Also to OLTL_Fan, you say you don't want any of these soaps cancelled but the way you post is you WANT AMC gone. You don't like AMC, we get it, but you ALWAYS point out the fact that OLTL is ahead of AMC in the demos. There is not much difference between them in the demos. And if you want to go on year on year, OLTL lost MORE viewers in the TV and even the demos. Not good. Where as AMC has actually held steady.

THis whole AMC vs OLTL thing has gotten to the point where OLTL fans ONLY have the demos to hold onto. If you notice thats the only thing they bring up. Not to mention they are sometimes rated BELOW the cancled ATWT.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't speak for anyone else and I agree Jamey is wrong a lot, but he's not the only person who has said that. Anyway at this point, does who said what really matter?

As people have pointed out, no show is immune from getting cancelled at any time. I think ABC is committed to all three of their shows.

Speaking of demos, it is a good thing to hold on to because that's what counts.

• Members

LOL no it's not. OLTL is STILL cheaper than AMC, even though they got moved out to LA. Yes, I prefer OLTL to AMC, but I don't hate nor do I want to see it cancelled. I'm just stating my opinion based on the info I have seen. It just makes more economical sense to keep OLTL. Now, if Jamey is wrong and AMC is doing better than he makes it seem then OLTL will go first. Ok, I have only been watching since 2008. It won't be the

end of the world for me.

And???? OLTL is owned by the network and even if it does come in below ATWT, it still has better demos and the network is making 100% percent profit, whereas CBS had to split even less money with P&G. OLTL is making more money than ATWT, and the fact that the two soaps are in completey different situations makes it a moot point. Just because CBS no longer saw value in ATWT has nothing to do with OLTL. I'm tired of discussing this, so this will be my last post in this thread.

Once again, it's JMHO.

• Members

Firstly, I like to see a mix of well-written younger characters and worth while vets--actors who can act and pull off the gig once their sex appeal is gone. A vital vet is great; however, certain shows keep boring busted characters on board too long.

The remarks you mention were made in regards to ATWT and my feeling that the show kept too many vets on contract therefore making it impossible to do well in key demos. For as much as I like Bob and Kim, neither character could help keep the show on air. Y&R, with all of it's faults, has done a great job mixing old with new.

• Members

days im sure will cut its production and cast again to get a renewel so im sure it will be lighted by flashlights at this point and the cast will be just making up the lines as they go. They could be sponsered by a major candle company and flashlight company lol.

They need a new head writer...but at this point who's left that knows how to write for this show? Sheri Anderson? or Claire Labine? who will write for Days?

He can't keep bringing back vets hopping to raise the ratings when the writings not there thats why i dont want John or Marlena to come back without the writing. Look at Carly and Vivian...bad writing.

• Members

Precisely his clueless vision is warped and he is singlehandedly the absolute worst thing to happen to ABC soaps barr none...he is the architect of their mass destruction and is unyeilding he tanked a network so he has time to give his full attention to the demise of his soaps. I have never thought for one moment he wanted these soaps to survive whatever fans want he does the complete opposite for the most part and when he gives in its given in the worse way possible of course unless its one of his few pets and even then there is a contingent to his payoff.

This is the man that said in a video he wished he could have taken "credit" for the phenomena of Luke and Laura and when he had the opportunity to piggyback on that he squelched it he put an icon in a chair in the nut house drooling...he could have taken it up a notch instead he castrated them in story....

he wouldn't give Genie one simple thing he gives to Tony, Ingo, and his other few pets...time off, that's all she wanted what the men get and his number 1 pet gets.

• Members

This AMC vs OLTL nonsense is beyond old and silly. They are the only two soaps I watch(20+ years) and I'm tired of both sides bashing the other.

PEOPLE. Be a SOAP fan!!! If you can't manage that try at least being an ABC soap fan!

They are not competing with each other. IMO IF ABC cancels a soap ....it's not going to be A soap........ it's going to be all of them. Why bash and bicker and try to knock the other soap down. If you love a soap why BASH ANY OTHER SOAP??????I'VE NEVER GOTTEN THAT!!!!!

If your worried something is going extinct....THERE ARE ONLY 6 LEFT....... YOU DON'T WISH FOR ONE OF THE LAST ONE'S LEFT TO DIE!! Or give reasons why it should be killed first :wacko:

Do you think that less soaps somehow equates to ....more soaps???.....your soap lasting longer??? If you do you're silly and WRONG.

No it was not. BUT just for fun.......... What do you think it was spun off of??

• Members

Sorry but no.

I agree that the slap fight is tedious but people like what they like and hate what they hate and should feel free to express that. I placed my bet in the cancellation lottery a long time ago and I'm sticking with it.

I'm liking AMC but if it got canceled tomorrow I would simply shrug and say "It was fun while it lasted," because I've accepted that the genre is dead and it's dead for a reason. It's selected itself out of existence through short-sightedness, arrogance and nostalgia. I don't believe in supporting a bad product in order to save "the genre." Blind love of these shows helps no one.

As for supporting ABC soaps, as a black woman over the age of 12, I can't even begin to tell you how ludicrous that is to me. Again, I'm supporting AMC because right now its the least ABC of the ABC soaps but I'm all too aware that at any moment Frons can spread his leathery black wings and erase everything I'm liking about the show and if/when he does, I'm gone.

So please spare me the caps lock lecture about being a soap fan, this is what happens to soap fans when you take us for granted.

• Members

Erika Slezak said recently that the reason AMC was moved to LA was because it was more expensive and because they needed to cut costs. She specifically said OLTL did not move because Frank Valentini is very good about the show's finances.

It has nothing to do with the show having a target on it's back. If OLTL was more expensive, chances are Frons would have moved it to LA.

The shows seem to flip flop on ratings so OLTL is not consistently the lowest rated soap.

• Members

Screw it! One week from today we'll all be talking about BrendaPalooza, VanessaFest, Brendakkah, Dia de la Brenda, or Martin Luther Marcil Day, etc.... Even though I'll miss seeing AMC that day I hope Vanessa Marcil Giavinwhatevero kicks ratings ass!

Why watch a show that you think should be canceled? All that does is reward the people putting out crap. In the internet age you can read recaps and decide without wasting an hour of your life.

• Members

Recaps mean diddly unless you're watching for yourself. If I say the sky is taupe, would you just take my word for it? I don't think so. We've been there done that with this and I stand by what I say. I rarely ever comment on shows that I don't watch because I like to decide for myself.

Jay, everyone knows the deal. It's just not being accepted.dry.gif The argument is way more than tired.

• Members

Great lines to lead off with!! Examine your own advice, maybe?. Ummm It's exactly what I did .....expressed what I hate and what I am tired of seeing. I also let you know what I like. ;)

Sorry you did not like my "caps lock lecture"....I was leaning towards a bold one but the CAPS was FASTER.

I haven't liked the last 8+ months of AMC vs OLTL baby bickering on the boards. I digress.

Oh & you can spare me the Blind Loyalty lecture....and the backward nonsense that by not watching, somehow YOU are saving the show or are going to make it better. FURTHERMORE my comment was not ABOUT the state of the show.....I said nothing about watching a show that you do not like.

I simply stated if you like a soap....it's not smart to wish for other soaps to be canceled. OR to dish out the same reasons..... MONTHS...... on end, on which show should go first and why.

Archived