July 19-23, 2010

Toups

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wouldn't watch either. I woudn't say anything bad about Lucci, I thinks she's a great person, Erica on the other hand is a cartoon and definitely the reason NOT to watch AMC for me. When they put Ryass and Erica together, that was enough for me to tune out permanently. You don't have worry aboug them merging these shows. It's not gonna happen.

• Members

Soaps write for those stay at home 'surrendered' wife types who take a husband back after his sixth cheat. There was probably some research done and we are watching the byproduct. I'm a guy, however, would guess that women, like men, want role models/heros and people to admire--this is why 1980's Erica Cane was such a hit. No one wants to see a character like Nikki on Y&R humiliate herself over and over again before Victor. People always want romance, yes, but they also want to see characters redeemed, proud, loved, and always with some sort of justice at play.

ABC would be dumb not to pick up the best and most popular talent from a cancelled show. Any show cut could even send a few characters to GH. This would give the network some sort of out when axing a show. Also, many fans would probably enjoy seeing a fav character on any show. Erica fans watch AMC for Erica and don't care about a title card and the same can be said for any popular actor.

I am shocked at how Valente (sp?) keeps costs so low on OLTL and wonder how it effects the writing and overall direction of the show. I'm shocked ABC has not sacked Frons and put Valente in his place.

In regards to CBS, I don't get how ATWT is doing well with raw numbers but so badly in housholds--I've never seen such a drop. ATWT beat Days and almost tied OLTL but got that weak 1.6--are the shows fans all huddled around one TV set? In general, I'm suprised to see the weekly year to date increases for ATWT considering how GL crashed and burned during the final months. The show is a gonner but I'm curious to see whether ATWT, if given time, could get back to something like a 1.9. The weekly gains show a somewhat good trend.

• Members

When PC was cancelled Frons scattered his pets, Kelly Monaco, Thorsten Kaye, and Michael Easton on the remaining ABC soaps. He is likely to do the same when the next ABC soap is cancelled. However, the realities of the shrinking soap budgets means that most of the actors will be out of work.

I'm not convinced that Valenti keeps OLTL's costs that low as much as his budget is constantly being cut. However, even if he did, being the EP of a soap does not give him the skills to run a network division.

• Members

Why doesn't Valentini keep OLTL ON budget instead of under budget? If I'm an executive doling out the money and they keep coming in under budget, that tells me that the budget is too high to begin with, so I'll keep cutting it as long as they keep coming in under budget.

• Members

Can you imagine John McBain, Todd Manning and Ryan Lavery on the same show? It would be The Misogyny Soapocalypse. They wouldn't even pretend to bother with plot anymore. It would just scene after scene of Greenlee, Messica, Kendall and Natalie going from room to room in "Myrtle Fargate's Angel Square Hotel" wearing only their bras and panties while the guys take turns screwing them and calling them bitches and whores. Then once all the women are pregnant the alpha males would move on to Gigi, Colby, Starr, Madison and maybe Randi if she bleaches her skin.

I don't care which show goes first, merging shows would kill the remaining one with the quickness.

• Members

You are clearly talking out of both sides of your mouth...

In previous threads you say "No one wants to see old people on a soap opera. Time to hand the baton over to the younger folks so the shows can stay alive." And now you say you like the use of vets and that you will take that any day over the lame teens on OLTL.

So which is it?

• Members

I'm the one who said that and it's all good. We can agree to disagree. I've watched ATWT back in the day when my girl Joyce Coleman was the resident schemer and watched religiously up until maybe 2 years ago.

The difference between ATWT and OLTL, OLTL never messed with the format. I just do not enjoy the way ATWT is produced these day. Lightning speed storylines do not work on American soaps. ATWT leaves nothing to savor or want more of. Granted, OLTL has it's very bad moments and months, but they always bounce back. IMO, they haven't tried at ATWT even before they received the cancellation notice. JMHO!!!

• Members

If Erica is a cartoon then what the hell is Dorian?

Says who? I want some legitimate proof of this and the below is certainly not it.

Excerpt from the Michael Fairman interview with Frank ValentINI

The big secret to keeping under budget is having people show up on time and able to do their blocking? Right.... :rolleyes:

Archived