Wendy Riche Interview

• Members

Wendy Riche got scapegoated, at least online, in the late '90s for mistakes in the show's direction - she did allegedly push pairings like Sonny/Hannah and Jax/Chloe versus Guza's desired "Jaxis," and others - and for a long time the perception was that as regards the Guza/Riche deathmatch which culminated in them leaving one after the other in 2000, Guza was in the right. That changed when Guza came back alone, with almost total control and no Riche.

Bob Guza has been and can be a very talented writer; he can also be a terrible, vindictive writer. The show is a nightmarish mishmash today with a few bright spots and ideas that will never come to fruition - all because of his headlining vision. Wendy Riche was controlling and allegedly not always a favorite of the actors, and she may not have always backed the right couple, but she knew how to manage Bob Guza and if she was around today this show would not be the mess that is. She was right.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Watching GH during the "height" of the Guza/Riche era, there were times when I felt the discord between the two literally showing up on-screen. No kidding, GH was that painful for me (although, nothing compared to the pain I feel today, lol). Still, I tended to side with Riche over Guza. "Clink/Boom" was a good moment, but that's all it was: a moment. Frankly, from the moment Guza's material as HW began airing (after Claire Labine), I felt a tremendous amount of heart and ingenuity lacking in the writing. It's just that, back then, he had a good EP and solid associate writers (leftovers, mostly, from the Labines' era) to help him look good.

• Members

That was really interesting, the premise she'd envisioned for that.

Do you remember when Stone was giving A.J. a spot at the gym and some of his sweat dripped on A.J. and A.J. freaked the [!@#$%^&*] out? "GET IT OFF ME!! GET IT OFF ME!!"

• Members

"Stayyyy tuuuuned..." Yeah, I know what you mean. I don't visit WLS regularly and I've actually preferred stumbling upon these interviews after the fact when I could sit and read them in their entirety.

Archived