AMC: Monday, June 14, 2010

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Whoever thinks its entertaining to watch Big Bad Caleb manhandle Erica the rape survivor and toss her around like a rag doll needs to put down the Harlequin novels. Maybe its just the feminist in me or the fact that I've simply watched television sometime in the last 25 years but the way he treats her like some errant child on a sugar high creeps me the hell out.

Madison to David: "If this is a business meeting, then why are you here?" Tell him girl! Madison is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters.

• Members

If you remove all the judgmental murderers from Pine Valley, the town would consist solely of Emma and that hot waiter at the yacht club. Madison said exactly what I was thinking to David "I'm only here to support my wife" Hayward. Although I would've preferred something more along the lines of "Why don't you go home and wash your wife's panties? And don't forget the Woolite." (cue product placement)

• Members

No, I was just letting Khan know that it's okay to discuss his own point of view without apology... even if someone acts like a redundant, ghetto shrew. Others might be interested in his opinion. No flaming. Just stating an opinion.

Glad to give you a new word for your limited vocabulary -- besides "desperate."

• Members

But a person's past isn't a hard-and-fast indicator of their actions in the future, especially when something hits close to home (and yes, especially when we're dealing with fictional characters and fickle writers ;) ). I doubt Lisa ever said anything overtly racist, but miscegenation was obviously a trigger for her. I understand the fear of character assassination but just *maybe* there are times when the writers are trying to address a larger issue in a more powerful way by implementing a beloved character.

Because we're talking about black people! :lol:

Maybe it hasn't been your experience, but you should know that homophobia is alive, well, and unapologetic among a great deal of black men in America. Though it is no surprise to me as I've seen and heard a lot of it from friends, relatives and strangers, in real life and on the net, I am hardly the first person to address this issue.

The same black folks who criticized Chris Rock for telling our business in his hair movie, the same black folks who wouldn't want white people knowing that they don't let their children play out in the sun for too long. Dirty little truths.

I was speaking about the seemingly more intelligent viewing audience :P but I see what you mean.

Well, that's one difference. :D Homophobia is homophobia, agreed. However, it rears its ugly head in different ways in the black church, and if the largest black Pentecostal denomination in the world (where young boys are being seduced by church elders) and the largest black gospel music organization in the world (where gay church goers are going to hook up and *groom* young artists) can begin to fess up to the secrecy, the duplicity, the hypocrisy, I think we all can too. Homosexuality is one of the biggest, oddest open secrets in the black church where gays are embraced for their talents and their tithes and derided for their "sin" all at the same time... congregations, choirs, and pulpits chock full o' gay black men all the while preaching fire and brimstone for "sissies". These same gay black people enthusiastically shouting "Amen!" and "Hallelujah!", in effect, condemning themselves. :( If you're interested, here are some articles that better illuminate what I'm trying to explain:

http://www.hawaii.edu/hivandaids/Homophobia,_Hypermasculinity_and_the_US_Black_Church.pdf

http://www.qrd.org/qrd/www/culture/black/articles/gospel.html

http://rodonline.typepad.com/Articles/TONEX.pdf

Tokenism has nothing to do with it, I'm talking about cultural differences, and we have them. Victoria Rowell wanting to do a story about black women and hair, I don't consider that a token's story.

Only the beginning. :lol: There are religious and social underpinnings to the pervasiveness of homophobia in the black community that aren't identical to those of the white community. We have only to look back at the black man's place in this white man's country, from its very start up to present day where homophobia is one the last remaining bastions of "condoned" prejudice.

• Members

Again, not saying that this stance is the "right" one for a Jesse or an Angie, but if a black TV character was written as having these beliefs I think it would be an accurate depiction and a socially responsible aspect of the story.

Archived