AMC: Monday, June 14, 2010

• Members

marceline, I get weary doing all of that quoting and editing mess, so I'll just give you a big :lol::lol::lol: for your contribution. Frankie was probably having the Jake Martini... a fruit-infused dirty martini with salt rim and patouli stirrer.

Jonathan, I agree and disagree. Liza is a grown woman and made the mistake of stripping down to her underwear to elicit a reaction from this guy in his late teens. Whether Damon is "right" to keep this thing going is arguable, but it's Liza who put herself in this position.

As for Erica, ITA, that hadn't even dawned on me. Of course we would have all known that she was still alive, but the lack of details would have been a lot more intriguing. They did that with Viki on OLTL when she pulled an Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore and popped up as a waitress in Paris, TX.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Honestly, I don't know why people are debating whether Frankie belongs with Madison or Randi. If you ask me, he should be daytime's first gay, black man. Darnell and Debbi would especially go to town over that material, lol.

• Members

I was thinking about this when we were talking about Natalia, that homosexuality in the black community is a complex, hot button issue and I'm not so sure that the AMC of today would do it justice which is a damn shame really.

• Members

ITA that would have been better. I've been enjoying the Erica/Caleb scenes but it feels like the same thing over and over. It would have been more enjoyable if we saw her with Caleb shortly before the inevitable rescue.

Yeah, Jackson came off as silly yelling at a guy in a coma, and Jesse's just the most annoying character on AMC these days. I guess he thought he could scare Greenlee into a confession? UGH is the only word for it!

Yup. As the adult in this situation, Liza should be embarrassed for making a play for her daughter's boyfriend so he could take that picture in the first place.

• Members

Well, 100% agreed on that, but we all know that they don't even care enough about Frankie to give him a gay s/l anyway,

It would be interesting to see Cassie come back from Paris professing her "newfound" lesbianism and have Angie take an uncharacteristically close-minded stance. The thing is, to tell the story of homosexuality in a black context truthfully, you've got to give the good, the bad, and everything in between, and it's not always going to be PC subject matter for the audience at large. Of course, so much of the soap audience is a black audience so you'd really be hitting a lot of folks on Front Street. To be truthful is to be risky, beloved characters could potentially alienate some fans, like Lisa on ATWT and her feelings re: Duncan and Jessica. And Jesse of all people can't afford to take too many more hits, so... it's complicated. Y&R and AMC in their heydays could have done something amazing, I hate to think that all of the important stories these days that soaps did so beautifully once upon a time are now best left for cable. -_-

• Members

That's fine.

But Angie would be the wrong character to give the "negative" POV. So would Jesse & Frankie.

It would be much more interesting (and in character) for NATALIA to be the one with a negative reaction to lesbian Cassie.

• Members

I hear that, I hear that. Yeah, it would be the *stronger* choice to go with a Jesse or Angie, just like it would have been the stronger choice to make Joey Buchanan gay and not Billy Douglas, but yes, you have to be smart about these things when we can count on half a hand the number of beloved black legacy characters still around in daytime. You just don't go taking such chances of ruination with Jesse or Angie. Like I said, they've already given Jesse a lot of material that hasn't done him favors, he is the last person who needs to be vilified as a homophobe.

• Members

Yup. Although I'm reminded of the scene where Angie begged him to say he was gay so he wouldn't have to do another tour in Iraq. I LOVED that. Yeah, Pratt started off with some good stuff.

If the AMC wants/needs a gay black man, Jamal Cudahy is out there somewhere just waiting to come back to PV with his lover but that would mean bringing back Tom and Livia as more than dayplayers, wouldn't it?

• Members

I wasn't trying to be offensive. I'm just looking for something -- anything -- that will bring some life to this character and give Darnell and Debbi some good material to play, too. If that comes across as being offensive, though, then I apologize.

Archived