Y&R Discussion Week of June 14

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When Daniel and Abby were in the pool; it looked like she was making out with a dirty old man.

I really wish that the writers would slow the hell down when it comes to their romantic pairings. Daniel barely divorced Amber and he's already with someone. The only way we'll see slow burning romances are if the writers don't really care about the pairing a la Neil and Ashley.

Billy/Victoria are becoming the new Phick, sex everyday they're on.

• Members

Eh..all you missed was

Man%2520Electrocuted.gif

Victor Newman...god bless Eric Braeden

dumb-dumber.jpg

Adam & Sharon...Adam professing his love.....Sharon acting dumb and dumber

0808281240179.jpg

Jack & Victor looking for Adam.

zombie.jpgistockphoto_437828-giant-smiley-big-smile.jpg

Victoria & Billy do some kind of [!@#$%^&*]!

Billy & Victoria

• Members

ICAM, lovely_m, lol.

I think what I appreciate now but didn't back then was how meticulous Papa Bell was in his storytelling. It often drove me nuts how s-l-o-w-l-y everything would progress on Y&R. Now, though, I realize he wasn't doing it just to keep everyone coming back everyday. Bell was also trying to explore every possible viewpoint inherent in the situation, so that we weren't ever confused about any given character's motivation; everything he or she did made absolute sense.

I miss that.

• Members

Exactly.

Bill's pacing was well done too (albeit being slow) cause he climaxed his umbrella stories in successful waves.

He had his share of horrible stuff (like every other HW) but he's the one that is most often overlooked & under appreciated compared to his peers.

• Members

In the long run Bell got the acclaim which mattered the most -- from the audience, who helped make Y&R #1 even with so much upheaval on the show and in daytime itself, and kept it at #1. It's just too bad his own family seem at best uninterested and at worst resentful towards what made him such a legend.

• Members

His successors seem to think that to be as successful as Bill Bell was, you have to tell stories "from the gut." Well, it was more than that. Bill Bell was very shrewd at gauging his audience; he knew exactly how long to keep dangling that carrot in front of their eyes. He didn't pander to audiences that weren't there, though; he wrote specifically for people who "got" his kind of storytelling and expected it only from him. Same holds true, I think, for Marland and Nixon.

Google is a powerful, powerful tool.

• Members

You know what else I begrudgingly give Papa Bell credit for? Knowing when to cut his losses and move on from a story that wasn't working. If you, the writer, can't stand it, how can you ask your audience to? And no, sticking to your guns with it, ramping it up, adding more bells and whistles to it, won't make it any less shitty for them, either.

Archived