Y&R Discussion Week of June 14

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not really, DeeeDee. Aside from Tracey E. Bregman, Tricia Cast, Jeanne Cooper, Terry Lester, Beth Maitland, Victoria Rowell and Jess Walton on Y&R; and Susan Flannery on B&B and DAYS, I don't consider actors on the Bell shows to be the strongest. And really, aside from Lester and Rowell - who, for some damn reason, never won an Emmy - all have been justly rewarded for their services. (I can't explain why Peter Bergman keeps winning, except, maybe voters think he's still on AMC?)

• Members

See that's the thing Y&R has a TON of actors (especially women) who have been unjustly overlooked for major acting awards.

There is absolutely NO reason why Tricia Cast, Victoria Rowell, Alex Donnelly, Eileen Davidson, Heather Tom, Tonya Williams, MTS & Sharon Case don't have at least one Lead Actress Emmy each nor is there any reason why Doug Davidson (Y&R's most consistent male actor) doesn't have a few either or why legends like Jerry Douglas, Carolyn Conwell & Julianna McCarthy have been repeatedly unjustly ignored.

• Members

That's all true, especially when you consider some of the individuals who have won. (Michelle Stafford? Really, Emmy voters?)

And I will kick myself until the day I croak for not including Alex Donnelly or Julianna McCarthy on my shortlist.

• Members

I used to always think the best soap actors weren't on the Bell or ABC soaps, that distinction, IMO, used to belong to the P&G soaps. PGP used to employ really natural actors who all had this realistic "look" and acting sensibility.

Of course, in recent years, PGP has been just as bad, if not worse, than the other soaps when it comes to casting.

Y&R has had a lot of underrated talent though over the years.

• Members

You could probably break it down like this:

Bell Soaps (and to a similar extent, DAYS and GH) = glamorous, "Hollywood" types.

ABC Soaps = quirky, often strongly ethnic, "character" types.

PGP Soaps = classically trained, "theater" types.

Of course, within each, there were/are always exceptions; and as you pointed out, the PGP soaps have (or had) become just as horrendous in their casting decisions as everyone else.

Archived