ATWT: April Discussion Thread

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've never been an ATWT watcher, other than a few shows here and there. (In retrospect, I certainly wish I had watched the Marland years.) I taped yesterday's show because I have a soft spot for soap veterans, and because of the Julianne Moore appearance. I thought, as another poster said, it was written well enough for a contemporary soap. But like all contemporary soaps, it was so obvious and heavy-handed. Luckily, it involved actors who can actually play subtext and bring with them a rich history longtime viewers can draw upon to flesh out the story. Hays and Hastings were wonderful (I've always loved Don Hastings' voice -- so soothing, so trustworthy, so Midwestern, I hope he'll get a lot of voiceover work once ATWT is done). Helen Wagner looks absolutely amazing. Did Eileen Fulton get dentures or something recently? Her speaking voice seemed off. Nice to see her, though. Wow, some of those sets are really tiny ... blocking was awkward in some of the group scenes. And whose apartment is that? It's funny that the bathroom is twice the size of the kitchen.

You know, if Bob & Kim & Lisa & Susan & Nancy & Lucinda & Emma were featured every day, I'd actually watch the show through to the end. But I have no desire to see any of the other characters or their stories.

• Members

She is, this almost makes me forgive her for "Hannibal!" I wish she had turned to the camera and said, "[!@#$%^&*] you, Meg Ryan!" but we cant have everything!

I read that her scenes were inserted into what was already filmed, but that doesnt seem to be the case. I do think it was last minute, so they had to hurry and write something in and she was probably on her way somewhere else, so much like Frannie, it was a stopover.

That is fine, her appearance shouldnt overshadow the vets.

Noticed Fultons' talking problems too and thought it was dentures. Oh well, we will all be there someday.

Loved that Lisa still is schemeing and browbeating people to do her bidding, though after all these years it is for good instead of evil!! Love Fulton and Masters working together, and their barely concealed annoyance with each other. If only Ellen could have walked in and the two of them could have traded one last bitchy interchange for old times sake.

• Members

Sigh...Janet manages to bring every scene she's in to a screeching halt. Literally. FCOL, does every other sentence coming out of her mouth have to be "are you hungry?" YES, Janet...Dusty survived BRAIN surgery and managed to regrow his hair...and NOW he wants some of your "famous" lasagna and manicotti. *eyeroll*

At least Carjack was sweet. 'Bout time Jack showed Carly some appreciation. :D

And who wasn't enjoying watching Craig sweat when Carly had the balls to demand he show her the books? *giggle* Anything that makes Craig wet himself is okey-dokey by me.

• Members

LMAO...That would have been hilarious!! Anything related to Meg Ryan during Julianne's scenes would have been funny!!

I don't even want to watch today's episode because Monday's and Friday's were so good. Today's show would be a total letdown. I know Carly and Jack made love but blah...I'm kind of getting sick of Jack still wanting his cake and Carly too....blah

• Members

Julianne Moore's "people" (agents, managers, etc.) could have talked her out of it, saying she had "outgrown" daytime - and really, in a way, she has. Yet, she chose to show up, probably not for the publicity, but b/c she knew the show's going off the air, and she wanted to show her appreciation for what it gave her in terms of a launching pad for the rest of her career. Even if the most she could've done was some pre-taped phone or Skype conversation, hell, it beat nothing. I'm just sorry she had to come back to such a shitty show. Lord knows Doug Marland and Robert Calhoun's influence is long gone on ATWT.

Archived