ATWT: April Discussion Thread

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

NYC market did not break in for Tiger but many markets did. This sucks because ths should have been a good ratings day for As the World Turns. I want to see the show do well in the ratings for its final months and Moore guesting is a great way to jump start things.

Casey was funny on Friday when he commented about the suprise party giving Kim another heart attack. ATWT can be so hit or miss with some episodes being great and others not. Where have Paul and Emily been? Isn't it about time the writers do something with them? I flove Emily and am wishing that they'd give her some of Janet's airtime.

I'll bet Goutman submits Bob and Kim 25th for Emmy Award and it might just win.

• Members

I guess I was just trying to point out something that's obvious to me...that depending on your definition of who a "Hughes" is, that the family is still front and center in Oakdale.

I LOVED both shows centered on Bob and Kim. So much better than the sucky "anniversary" eppys like "RetroTV" crap.

Frannie's return was rather rushed (and she didn't even get to say "hi" to her sister Babs)...but I thought the toast was lovely. Although I'm sure some newer viewers were confused by Frannie calling Kim "mom". They wouldn't really know Kim was her mother figure after Jennifer's death.

• Members

That's how I felt about the episode. It is a true classic. I am glad I have it on DVD. The previews looked awful compared to what we got today and on Friday. Today's show was retro 80's Douglas Marland.

+1

Amen!!

Defintely this was a better anniversary show than those other crappy ones Goutman gave us before. I also couldnt wait to see Frannie. I felt it was rushed too. They could have showed more of Frannie and less of boring annoying Ali....ugh...thats my only complaint about today's show. I would have loved a Babs and Frannie moment too.

• Members

I don't know how much time Julianne had...but I would have loved to have seen more Frannie. I guess besides lazy writers, the other problem is that Frannie has not been on the show in almost two decades and has few ties to most of the people left in town. I wish they'd shown a flashback of Kim/Frannie, or a bit more of Frannie with the family, but then, as much as I like to complain, I guess I shouldn't here because I never even thought I would see Frannie again. Thank goodness that Julianne Moore wanted to honor her soap past and she's a star, as otherwise we never would have seen Frannie again, in spite of all her wonderful years on the show. Frannie was always one of my favorite characters when I watched in the early 90s, and I also fell for Julianne's version of her in the classic holiday repeats and thanks to Youtube.

I could have done without Allison/Casey (they could have at least had Allison say that Ellen sent her best wishes -- the closest we got to Ellen was seeing one side of her face in the vow renewal flashback).

I thought a lot of the episode was, by today's soap standards, well-written. I was very impressed with the scenes where Kim vented her pain to Barbara and Margo (which helped make up for how rushed this has been), by the Hughes men talking, and by the scene where Bob convinced Kim to marry him again. A lot of moments for Kathryn Hays in particular to show what a powerhouse she is. Don Hastings was understated and invaluable as always. And even thought Lisa seemed to struggle with speaking during her scene with Bob I loved the scene where she pretended to try to rekindle the flame with Bob, who gently let her down. Then Susan did the same, and the best part, Susan complaining to Lisa about Lisa forcing her into this, and Bob realizing it was all a scam. I loved it. And Marie Masters is so sexy for...what, isn't she almost 70?

I also want to say that I thought this was one of the most seamlessly edited soap episodes, in flashbacks, I have seen in a long time. All the flashbacks really fit the moments and scenes which led into them, and told newer viewers just how special Bob and Kim are. This is what I was hoping for when Y&R brought Phillip back from the dead.

I almost wish they could just end the show after today's episode.

• Members

What a wonderful episode (make that back 2 back). I was totally onto to Lisa's game, but teaming up with Susan -- what a great twist! Seeing all that history, etc. really makes me even more sad we're losing a friend in September. Nice job to all. Frannie cameo was a little short, but the point was made. I just wished she had a moment with her sister (Barbara). However, Babs/Henry was a humorous touch. I hope we see more of these types of "family-centered" events before the end (Snyders, Stewarts, Walshes).

• Members

I wondered what the contractual agreement was like between ATWT and Julianne Moore for this cameo. Who knows, maybe the brevity of her scenes were agreed upon by both sides. Remember, Moore is now in films where she has the luxury of time to study her scripts, which is complete opposite from the type of quick memorization that soap actors would need to do day in and day out. Not that I don't think Moore is no longer capable of doing that now... And being the perfectionist that Moore is about her craft, I wonder how she feels about reverting back to the pace of daytime, where there is so little time to rehearse.

There's a lot of truth in that. I certainly felt that way when the preview came on at the end on what we can look forward to tomorrow...

• Members

I can appreciate that JM only had a limited availability. But I mean...just her hugging Helen Wagner would have been golden. She hugged Kim and Bob...and then hugged like Lisa or Susan? All we got of Barbara was a shocked expression.

I'm sure if you look on youtube, someone's probably already got it up.

• Members

Yeah, I looked for it on youtube and it hasnt been put up yet.

<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/dU6bMVgVLbw&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/dU6bMVgVLbw&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src=http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/dU6bMVgVLbw&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1 type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>

• Members

The flashbacks were edited in so perfectly and I hope whoever did it finds new work soon. Wow...As the World Turns looked different back then. The sets, but especially the lighting and camera work. Early on, Goutman tried to mimic Y&R style lighting but, for me, it never worked for this show. Things looked better a bit brighter. Someone remarked that Marie Master's is almost 70: wow, she looks so good and closer to Margo and Barbara's age.

Was watching those flashbacks and remember how ATWT was the one constant in my childhood. Read somewhere about how Marland considered the show his Midwestern morality tale and got to say ATWT was always a reminder for me about right and wrong. Today was really cool.

• Members

I was kind of shocked they used that flashback of Bob and Lisa! How cool. To even be able to use something that old and have the same actors is pretty damn incredible... it was nice to see them honor the rarity of that rather than be ashamed of ZOMGOLDPEOPLE.

Would it have been so hard to have Frannie show up before the wedding, then position her off on one side so we didn't have to see her during the ceremony (so JM wouldn't have had to be there to shoot those scenes)? I mean, it's awesome she appeared, and it was cool to see Frannie one last time before the show goes off the air, but can these writers do anything not so [!@#$%^&*] slapdash? It was like, "I didn't bother to show up 10 minutes earlier for the wedding, but I'm here, y'all! Gotta do a quick toast so I can rush back to Haiti or wherever else there's a disaster next so I don't have to see you motherfuckers for another 20 years! Bye!"

Bitching aside, it was a nice episode, and in moments where it seemed corny or forced, I told myself to shut up and appreciate that I was getting something along these lines from ATWT in 2010.

Archived