ATWT: April Discussion Thread

• Members

It sucks that the Hughes don't have a young gay male in the family for Reid to get with. That would have been a goldmine. Can you imagine Nancy clutching her pearls? Or better yet, one of the Ward quintuplets could have been his boo, tying him in with the Stewarts and giving the Hughes more of a reason to roll their eyes at him.

The more I think about it, the more having Luke as the token gay comes off as a total WASTE, especially having him in a relationship with the same old bore for over two boring years.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Considering that Casey has been stuck with Allison for years I don't think the Hughes have come off a lot better. :lol: I was a bit taken aback with how sour Casey was, especially when he joked about Kim having another heart attack.

It's hard to adjust to Cosgrove as Chris. I think it's because I don't really think Chris has ever been much of a character, so there's nothing to draw on. I just see Daniel Cosgrove playing Daniel Cosgrove. I wish he were in more scenes with Nancy.

I was surprised at all the serious conflict between Kim and Bob. I wish this had been built up to, although at least they finally got some use out of the million health crises Bob and Kim have had over the past few years. Kathryn and Don were amazing, of course. It's to their credit that even after all these years they never phone it in.

When I was watching the party scenes I kept thinking how happy I might be if I'd only started watching in the past ten years. I wouldn't ask myself where Ellen, Penny, etc. were, why John wasn't mentioned, why Andy barely got a mention.

I'm glad they integrated Lisa into the scenes, and actually gave her a flashback and some good Lisa one-liners, instead of her sitting in the background, as she often does when they even deign to put her onscreen. It's so easy to fit Lisa into these stories when they make a minimum of effort. I loved her one-liner about how she dealt with Bob's schedule -- "I left him, honey."

Loved the brief scene with Kim and Barbara. I'm glad that for whatever reason they finally started writing for Barbara again (and not the psycho caricature Barbara or the maudlin mother Barbara). I hope that continues. She is a huge asset to the show when she is written this way. I like Vienna but Barbara/Henry truly click. It says a lot about CZP that she has such good chemistry with such a wide variety of leading men.

I never thought that Nuke spoiler #213 would be the closest replacement to John Dixon the show will probably ever get, but Reid fits in so seamlessly with the Hughes group. Imagine that Nancy and Chris Sr. found out they were not legally married...you just know that the first thing John would have said was, "I guess Bob really is a bastard." I loved that they had Reid say that about Chris. :lol: Henry trying and failing not to laugh made it even better.

For some reason I thought Bob had one too. You're probably right though.

• Members

Yeah, Casey was a total wet blanket the whole episode. It was kinda annoying because I'm sure that'll just be attributed to him being around Alison, the ultimate wet blanket, too much. I still like Ali, though. She just needs to get back with Aaron (unless he and Jade are together somewhere in the world, which is what my heart wants to believe).

Daniel Cosgrove, I like him, but him as Chris just annoys me to no end. This is the third time he's swooped in to play Son of a Beloved Couple. He's been a Chandler and Lewis, now he's a Hughes. All three roles, he could rest easy knowing that his character would never be written to be a villain in a storyline. If Kriezman doesn't carry him over to AMC after ATWT leaves us (to replace the adorable and intriguing Adam Mayfield), then he wouldn't turn down a role as a Horton or a Lord/Buchanon or a Forrester or a Newman/Abbott. He can be nuNoah, pretty much.

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking when Reid said that. "What a John Dixon thing to say!" Lisa should have looked at him, fixed him with her eyes, and said that. Woulda been too funny.

• Members

Well, you can't blame Henry....even a straight guy would fall in love with Collier's Mike. That is why I don't think Henry and Reid would work, Henry likes him a little more filled out and butch. Reid is almost as bitchy as Henry is.

But I do think that since the show is ending, it would be funny to reveal that Chris is bi, or at least got drunk and got a blow job from Reid...I know, it would send the audience into a tizzy with Chis aint gay, but you know...one blow job does not a faggot make!!!Okay, maybe its cause I think Cosgrove is about the best thing soaps have produced in terms of hunks in year, cute, funny, hot, but kinda normal looking. Imagine the hissy fit annoying Luke would throw if he found THAT out and that Reid is still harboring the hots for Chris.

Loved the episode, it was perfect...(besides the fact that Oakdale has become depopulated like Springfield did. Its weird that they cant hire like three people to mingle in the back, and throw on a wig and walk through the other scene. And there is no background noise of the street or other diners talking like the old days....) I am officially the world's biggest dork as I teared up watching some of the flashbacks and felt nervous when Bob and Kim fought..kinda like watching your parents fight. Loved Babs and Kim, and that their roles were reversed and Babs was the comforting strong voice of reason. KH and CZ have great chemistry and remind me what we are really going to miss when the show is gone...I actually can believe these people are related and have a history, cause they have been on my screen for so long. So stupid to not make use of that over the last decade...may you get even fatter Hogan Schaffer you freak. Tons of good interactions, Casey and Nancy (and I felt like a dirty old man that little Casey is kinda starting to look hot..) Lisa getting her old bitchy sassy zing back...(Lurved the hint of Susan and Lisa's old warring days, Susan, "Well you WOULD," Lisa, "Oh hush UP!") Lisa's "Oh honey, I divorced him," response to Reid was vintage Lisa and just shows that Lisa knows another bitch when she sees one(which really makes you think why Lisa hasnt taken the gay boys under her wing..she has to be the oldest living fag hag in the world)...and her joke about Kim and Bob's marriage, Nancy, doing what Nancy has been doing for 50 years, ringing Lisa's beads, and the look of "Oh [!@#$%^&*], I just got served," look on Lisa's face...none of that would work if those characters had all been recasts. If you watch Bob and Kim's wedding on You Tube, and John's reactions to it all, so similar to Reid that I have to think that someone was actually giving the nod to that...(funny if instead of Andy walking in it was Johnny, "Well Andy couldnt make it, but arent you glad I"M here!!!" )

Funny, but on CBS.Com they have a short video of Lisa talking to Bob next week, and telling him that it was a chance for them to start over again...I am sure it will be Lisa trying to scare him back to Kim, but the look of horror on Bob's face!!(though Fulton's seems to have a denture whistleing sound in that scene, maybe that was it!!) Even the fake minister wasnt as bad as I thought.

Whats more everyone seemed to be having fun. Yea, the preveiws were back to Jack, Carly and freaking Craig next week but I am enjoying THIS World Turns while it lasts.

• Members

I had to quote all this as I agree with it so much. The multi-generational aspect of ATWT is what Goutman and Sheffer took away from ATWT and it never really came back. I would have loved seeing Lisa hang out with Luke and be a mentor to him, and Lisa and Lucinda arguing over Luke's well-being. And as you mentioned, she'd have a great relationship with Reid, probably up and down. I thought Lisa was like the little engine in this episode as at first I thought she looked a bit out of place and frail and then she had one funny line after another and it was like the past 10 years had never happened.

The fight between Kim and Bob did seem very real. Bob and Kim are such a believable married couple. They have been from the start, 25 years ago.

The flashbacks I wasn't expecting. I'm glad Goutman refused to go to the GL production model because if he had they probably wouldn't have had the flashbacks.

• Members

I agree AMS. Chris should have been the gay one and not Luke. Luke and Noah have been pure waste.

Just watching Friday's show. OMG.....Kim & Bob and the front of their house in the flashbacks. It brought chills to my body.....KH is one hell of an actress. I am loving her scenes with DH.

Archived