2010 Winter Olympics

Toups

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Its also I think the hardest figure skating event to really judge who is doing well and who isn't.... some of the dancers just skate to such slow, depressing music as well. I enjoyed it last night though, but I am sure Canada winning the Gold Medal is a huge reason for that... That was a great skate by Virtue and Moir. No one in the world really can match up either, except their training partners of course, the silver medalists. This rivalry could go on for a while. They are both in their early 20's. It was so great to see them win :)

• Administrator

Another Gold for Canada in Ski Cross in today!! :)

She's so brave! And she has a really good shot at getting a medal - she's like 6 points ahead of 4th place. If she gets a medal, that's going to be a spectacular story. :(

Those Asian girls kicked ass. Wow they were amazing!

• Members

I started crying once Joannie finished her skate last night. :( :( I am sure the whole crowd had tears in ther eyes. She is so brave and so focused. She skated so well, she has set herself up well for the free skate.They showed Brian Orser (coach of the awesome Korean skater) and he was sobbing. The figure skating community is so tight knit. I am sure the rest of the competitors are really pulling for her. I don't think she can win Gold, but Silver is definitely possible, and I think barring any major mistakes... she will win the Bronze. The place will go nuts if she medals. It will be as Toups said a spectacular story and probably will be one of the lasting legacies of these Winter Games. Bravo Joannie!

Yes, I was so surprised for the first time in a long time no American woman was favoured to medal... I think those two will be definite contenders in Sochi. They skated very well.

• Members

What an amazing day for the home side. Not only does Canada kick Russia's ass in hockey, Canadian women pick up four medals today. Canada had not beat Russia/USSR in men's hockey at the Olympic games since 1960.

Gold and Silver in Women's bobsleigh

Silver in 3000m short track women's relay (Canada finished in 3rd place, but the Korean team was disqualified which allowed Canada to take the Silver)

Clara Hughes wins Bronze in the 5000m long track race.... she had the skate of her life, her last Olympic games and her 6th medal. Only athlete EVER to have won multiple medals in both Summer and Winter Olympic games. What a tropper!

Tomorrow, Joannie Rochette goes for a very bittersweet medal. It was emotional during the short program, the long program will be intense. No matter how you do Joannie, Canada is behind you and our hearts are with you!

• Administrator

I couldnt believe how bad Canada kicked Russia's ass. There were so many tic-tac-toe plays - just awesome passing. At times it was like men playing with boys. If Canada plays like this for the next two games, nobody can beat them. The skill is there. They just have to keep this up.

It was a great today for the women!

Word.

• Members

Haven't read this thread too much because there seem to be much talk about figure skating, which I can't stand. lol

I did watch Joannie Rochette performance. What a brave and strong girl!!

But I just wanted to say YAAAY for the Swedish cross-country team. After 22 years they finally won the gold medal in yesterday's 4x10 km Relay! It's like there's been a curse during the 4x10 km relay.

The cross-country team has been very successful on both the men and woman side during the 2010 Olympics. But the gold yesterday was the greatest of them all imo. I remember sitting (more like jumping) in front of the TV in 1988 screaming like a crazy person (was only 8 years old then). This time around it was even better! Gosh, still can't believe it!! I sure will watch that race many times. :)

• Members

Aw, the Asian girls kicked ass, but that Gold was so going to Kim. Mao shouldn't be upset though, her program was probably technically more difficult.

Happy for Rochette, but it's got to be very surreal for her.

That American girl that skated last is going to be a big skating sensation in a few years, I'm betting on it. For being only 16 and at her first Olympics, she was great.

• Administrator

Yay! Joannie got a bronze! She even got an "I Believe" montage - Is that a first for bronze medalist? I've only seen them for Gold medalists. What a spectacular display of human strength from Joannie this week. That girl has so much heart.

Queen Yu-Na didn't disappoint! She totally destroyed the competition with her 150.06/228.56 score.

2014 should be another great competition. You got Queen Yu-Na, Mao (Japan), and Mirai (the Asian American).

Archived