All Soaps: Time Zone Question

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Interesting. In NY/D.C., 4-5 is Oprah/Ellen/Judge Judy/Judge Pirro/Judge Whoever time, then the news for a couple of hours and lighter syndicated fair (TMZ, The Simpsons, Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, Seinfeld, et cetera an hour-an hour and a half before primetime).

• Members

So West Coast get an extra hour in the afternoon (3 o'clock) to air syndicated fare.

I'm sure this goes back to the days when soaps aired live from New York.ATWT for example would air live at 1.30 NYT which would be 12.30 in LA.They wouldn't do the shows twice so the timeslots became entrenched.That extra hour in the afternoons would make more money for the stations due to greater numbers watching at 3.00 and they would have been loathed to give it up when shows went to tape and could be run on any schedule.

Does that make sense?

• Members

here is abc daytime in LA...

9am: Regis & Kelly

10a: The View

11a: News

12p: AMC

1pm: OLTL

2pm: GH

3p: Oprah

4pm: News

The news goes from 4-6:30 and at 6:30 its World News then Jepordy & Wheel of Fortune.

When Port Charles/Loving/The City/etc.. were on they would come on at 11am, followed by news at 11:30 then AMC at 12. This swapped when CBS moved Y&R from 11 to 11:30 and ABC moved PC to 11:30 as well. When it ended they just added another half hour of news. KABC's News is the #1 news station in socal and has been for years. I believe the networks biggest competition for news/syndication is actually our CW network.

CBS' daytime lineup starts at 9am with Lakes Make A Deal, 10a is The Price is Right, 11a is news, 11:30 is Y&R followed by B&B at 12:30 and ATWT at 1pm. Rachel Ray is at 2pm (replacing GL) and then Judge Judy at 3pm followed by dr Phil at 4p. 5-7p is News.

NBC is all news from like 4am-Noon. 12-1 is lets make a deal. 1pm is DAYS, 2pm is Martha, 3pm is Bonnie Hunt, 4pm is Ellen. 5-7p is News.

Wow, looking this NBC Daytime really is in shambles. Not just having one soap, it ONLY had one thing. I really wish NBC would try to get two hours back from the affiliates and build a solid daytime block. Not even another soap (tho it would be great!). ABC def has the strongest lineup of the bunch, IMHO.

Things should be interesting in sept with the new season tho. Oprah, Bonnie, Martha will all be gone. The View might go syndicated. ATWT will be gone. Oh, and isnt NBCUniversal putting The Real Housewives into syndication?

• Members

I never knew Days ran up against OLTL and ATWT in some markets but this explains why some posters on SON are both Days and Y&R fans. WNBC New York moved Days into the 2pm slot for about six months last year but reverted back to 1pm. Not running up against Y&R must help Days ratings to some extent. I've always wondered how AMC and Days did well against such a highly rated show. Also, never knew that B%B aired in certain markets without Y&R as a lead in. I thought the Bells had a deal with CBS so that the shows would run back to back.

I've always thought of soaps as an afternoon thing. I can't imagine watching any of these shows before noon. They are all too serious for the morning. GH must run in a lot of markets without another soap to compete with. Here in NYC, we get DR. Phil and another tlk show on NBC. I would think this would help GH in the ratings but the numbers are still so bad. I stil can't believe that a cheezy talk show can beat a $250,000 per eppy drama.

This reminds me: does anyone know how the old prime time episodes of Y&R did on CBS back in the 1990's. Obviously, the numbers could not have ben that great or, otherwise, we'd see it happen more often. The reason I ask this is that I am so curious how Days would fair in Jay Leno's prime time slot. The numbers would probably be pretty poor by NBC standard but would be great for The CW or MY Network. A revamped World Turns would be great for MY if it ran four nights per week. World Turns already scores higher numbers than 90210 and could work well on a mini-network.

• Members

DAYS used to air at 12 with B&B as it's only competition, but when PSNS was canceled it got pumped forward an hour. Any soap on MyNetworkTV or the CW isn't going to work, not in a daytime format. The key to getting ATWT saved is to repackage it as a primetime spin-off. Take a few characters and produce it like a regular old primetime show. That could work on a network like Lifetime. But taking the entire show would be too expensive and would require massive budget cuts. Then we'd have even more recasts, fired vets, etc. and fans would just complain.

• Members

I never knew Y&R and Days ever aired against eachother. I didnt figure they would since they are both owned, somewhat, by sony. Im not surprised AMC did well against Y&R or that any other soap would given the timeslot of Noon. Its lunch for most. The Bell's do not have a deal that sys they have to air back to back, tho i think in most markets they always just have. However i do know when i visted a friend somewhere, sorry i cant think of where right now, they were all off. Y&R was on at 1, ATWT at 2 and B&B at 3 with GL on at like 10am.

i pretty much think of soaps as 11a-3p shows. I dont think 11 is too early at all.

cheesy ass talk shows and game shows have fans too, just as cheesy soap operas do. Hell, i would rather watch most talk shows & any game show over GH right now. Tho between dr phil and GH thats like a rock & a hardplace. lol.

Days has aired in primetime. Here are the dates & ratings. they all aired after soap opera awards, i think.

Friday, January 10, 1992 8:00-9:00PM

Days of Our Lives: "One Stormy Night" (NBC) 10.5

Friday, February 26, 1993 8:00-9:00PM

Days of Our Lives: "Night Sins" (NBC) 7.9

Friday, February 4, 1994 8:00-9:00PM

Days of Our Lives: "Winter Heat" (NBC) 10.2

Keep in mind soap ratings were far higher then as theya re now as were primetime ratings.

Also, i cant see DAYS on at 10pm. 7pm? Maybe. 10? No.

As for ATWT on the cw, you have to factor in a few things besides the ratings. first and formost, the cw is in far less markets than cbs is. second, almost always when a tv show jumps network a huge chunk of the audience doesnt go with it. and you have to look at what the cw airs right now in the daytime, ayndication shows. i dont know the ratings for all of them, but something tells me the network pays very little for them and they perform well enough.

Days at 12 is so odd to me.

I agree with what you posted.

• Members

This is how it is in Baton Rouge, except for Y&R airing in the afternoon at 4pm. The AMC is day-behind. Well, I think DAYS might come on at noon, but for some reason, we've never gotten the BR NBC station, just the CBS and ABC.

In New Orleans, it's Y&R at 11am, AMC at 12pm, B&B at 12:30, OLTL/DAYS/ATWT at 1pm, and GH at 2pm.

The only time the New Orleans NBC station has aired DAYS at its appropriate time is when NBC has some sort of live sporting event at 1pm, and so instead of pre-empting DAYS, they air it an hour earlier.

• Members

If it's this confusing with just the 4 time zones across the lower 48 states and D.C., imagine what it must be like for soap fans in Alaska and Hawaii, as well as Puerto Rico and the U.S. territories where the time zones vary a lot more than Eastern, Central, Moutain, and Pacific. laugh.gif

Archived