OLTL: Discussion for the week February 1

• Members

That still bothers me. I don't blame Viki because I know they were doing that based on Andrea leaving whereas Todd was going nowhere but I really think it was a black eye to Viki as a character, because the Todd she knew and loved was gone and in spite of the heavy propping of him over the last year I don't think he's come back. I just don't sense any believable bond between Todd and Viki at this point. After all the time that has passed and after the half-heartedness of the scene I wish they hadn't even had Todd bring it up.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh yeah, that was the other offensive thing about Friday's show - Todd's hollow apology and Viki's half-hearted forgiveness of him. I don't buy that Todd is somehow better than Mitch, when as far as I can see, the only reason that Todd has not electro-shocked Starr is because even ABC realizes that would be too gruesome for viewers to accept Todd sticking around longterm. Although, now that Todd has been "successfully" redeemed for the rapemance (successful, other than OLTL is now the lowest rated soap) maybe that could be the May sweeps story.

• Members

Ugh! I hated that especially since Tina kept quiet against her will. Tess kept threatening to sic Carlo on Sarah and Tina felt she did what she had to do to keep her daughter safe bc Carlo had tried to kill her months earlier. Who was Todd protecting? No one but himself. Tina was treated horribly by Viki in comparison to Todd

• Members

No, I see what you're seeing Carl, and in general, it's this show's penchant for turning complex, shaded, and to varying degrees, sick fathers like Mitch, Victor, and Carlo into D.C. Comic Supervillains. There's no denying that Mitch was always a creep, but this crap is straight up Grand Guignol. He's lost all of the smarmy charm and finesse of this type of character who fans (female ones especially) can't help but find themselves on the fence about. When I started watching OLTL daily it was during Lord of the Banner/DID, and as crazy as it sounds, Victor was one of my favorite characters. And I'm not talking dream sequences/newly created flashbacks or anything, but this guy's history (a lot newly created) was so fascinating to me. It's like the show managed to smooth over all of the campy history they'd created for the character in the '80s, and there was now this dark, moody, complex, mature take on the character. And within years, they'd thrown that all away with that Heart of a Lord nonsense. After this run, I never want to see Mitch again. Not unless they take a VERY different, grown-up approach to this guy. This is a mess.

Archived