2010: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the production aspects need way more work than the actual writing team.

I don't know who I'd "replace," but Brad should definitely step aside and stay on as a consultant, while fixing what looks bad on this show. Not only is Brad completely reliant on his story recycling program, but he doesn't understand that good stories mean nothing without good production values, especially on a show like B&B, which has always prided itself on such aesthetics. I can't stress that enough. There are so many bad production errors on this show. There should be someone else other than the Supervising Producer paying attention to these technical gaffs. Time and money are a huge problem, I'm completely aware of that. But it is not enough to just "hope people don't notice." Because they do.

Brad's ego seems too big to go that route. But if he did step aside, I definitely wouldn't promote Kay Alden. A writer like Charles Pratt or Meg Bennett would come with a huge pricetag, but they can do "campy soap with heart," which is what B&B used to be. Brad Bell is simply out of steam and unwilling to take risks.

I would definitely get rid of Shannon Bradley and Jack Smith. The former is an amateur and while the latter can write a script, that doesn't make it good. I, more often than not, found his dialogue to be incredibly trite. Tracey Kelly's shows are just "meh." Neither good nor bad. But I can't say she impresses me all that much either.

I'd definitely keep Patrick Mulcahey as a scriptwriter...possibly bump him to Associate HW so he can edit and tighten scripts. Let him loose. He's got more talent on that team than all of them put together.

Although everyone raves about how wonderful Kay Alden is and, while she may have been, it's simply not enough to just to edit. Are notes even being passed along to the other members of the team from her? Because the show's dialogue is just as flat and as tired as the stories themselves. Some lines of dialogue should not be allowed a free pass, I don't care how campy it is and how "great" an actor you think someone is.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And it all goes back a few years when JamesF talked about it here and here.

I would definitely demote Brad and put someone else in the head writer seat. But I don't know who.

The thought of Meg Bennett writing this show gives sheilafan the creeps, if I remember correctly. But I actually wouldn't mind. What Brad pays himself, he could easily (scratch that) give to someone else.

But Smith, Alden, Bradley & Co. need to go. To bad he didn't know how to handle his team (e.g. Jim Houghton leaving after only a few episodes), but this show is in desperate need of a fresh head writer and fresh dialogue writers.

It all just sucks. A swamp.

• Members

Sadly, he's right, although I wouldn't do a thing to the Forrester mansion.

It's completely embarrassing that these characters eat breakfast in their living room with this table the set design team adds. Especially when you consider that the Forrester family once had this huge ass kitchen. They must've demolished that set.

Instead of working around these issues(maybe showing characters sitting around the living room reading the paper with a cup of coffee in hand post-breakfast) they insist on writing these breakfast scenes and getting out this ridiculous eyesore of a table and placing it in the middle of this well decorated living area. I feel the exact same way about love scenes that are supposed to take place in a bedroom, but instead take place on a couch in the living room. And conveniently, there's a sheet or blanket just appears RIGHT THERE! :rolleyes: Why not just cut out the sex scenes if you don't want to show two people without a sheet in the afterglow? It just looks dumb.

The only "breakfast scene" I've watched recently on B&B that I particularly enjoyed was when Ridge was with Taylor and she and Steffy and Thomas all had breakfast outside on the deck. The set they used was small as hell, but it was way more real than seeing Brooke, Hope, RJ, Ridge, Katie, Donna, and Storm all sitting around this tiny ass table eating croissants.

I don't understand why B&B insists on writing family breakfast/dinner scenes when they don't have the sets to do that. Why not skip those scenes and find a different way to do the family scenes?

Brad Bell is Jay Leno to Bill Bell's Johnny Carson. Everything Bell did was nuanced, beautiful and seemingly effortless. And Bell knew when something wasn't working. While Brad(save for a few good years and good stories) just constantly relies on the same tired ass tricks in the same tired ass way and dumbs down his stories to appeal to the lowbrow and because he's too lazy to challenge himself.

In fairness to Meg Bennett, we don't know how much of those ideas were hers and how many of them were Brad. And she was listed as a story consultant, never as a Head Writer, IIRC. Her Sunset Beach had alot of Reilly notes and influences, but she at least tried to make those characters seem like more than just stock.

His unofficial Adult ADD in full drive.

I wish Brad would give up his HW position. It's an embarrassment of riches to have daytime's #2 being #2, not because of how good it is, but because Y&R is it's lead-in. No show should have that reputation. B&B should be using that post-Y&R timeslot to its advantage, not being completely reliant on it. Especially if other affiliates are pressured to air Y&R opposite GH as Atlanta is doing.

LOL. I'd be so scared to face you in a workshop. You'll red pen me to death!

At least we agree on what makes good dialogue. :)

• Members

It's actually funny to me because I actually used to think Conan O'Brien directed AMC in addition to doing his late-night show back when I first start paying attention to the behind-the-scenes people (and apparently when I couldn't tell l's from n's).

Archived