2010: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

My god, what is Lucci supposed to do? Come out and say the S&K are horrible and that she's dreading their writing? When it comes down to it, she is an employee of a corporation, just as many of us are, though just on a larger scale than the rest of us, and she's not doing anything any of us wouldn't do. It's called loyalty. In this economy especially, you don't want to tick off your boss. Besides, she's already taken some digs at Pratt, so she doesn't "sugar coat" everything. She's a team player, always has been, and maybe she is actually hoping that they'll bring some positive change. Who knows...maybe within the industry S&K are well-regarded. Anyway, it's not as though she was spouting the party line about something that actually matters, such as a politician reflexively singing the praises of his/hers party's candidate. Cut her some slack!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Precisely. Yes. That is exactly what she needs to do. If she teamed with some other, high-rank stars from the show, and said how terrible a choice it is...

However, that is not going to happen and it would probably make matters worse. Although I'd love to see if Frons would have the guts to fire her. Probably.

• Members

But I'm not kidding! Even if Agnes Nixon were dead (God forbid), Looch would still credit her for whatever storyline she has at that moment. Which wouldn't be so awful, except, five will get you ten, some post-ers on here would swear Brian Frons, JHC and everyone else at AMC were conducting seances to receive Aggie's long-term projections from beyond the grave.

• Members

Well, kidding or not, the best comedy comes from truth. According to certain posters, Agnes Nixon wrote Angie and Jesse's wedding -- except for the stuff with Uncle Rob and the CGI scenes. That was all B&E. She wrote Erica's prison story -- except for the Free Erica Kane concert with those dancing doorknobs nobody has ever heard of. That was all B&E. But then Agnes came back to write Erica's on the run story with Carmen. Then, with the 40th Anniversary episode, it gets tricky. For those who enjoyed it, oh, it must've been Agnes. For those who hated it, ew, it was totally Pratt. For those who hated it and are extremely redundant and annoying, it was ALL Frons while twirling his moustache. So any time Lucci gives Nixon credit for anything, those people go "See?! See?! Susan said it so it must be true!"

I swear daytime is the only industry where people aren't allowed to retire.

• Members

Y&R Jill-Kay dialogue was sooooooooooo good today.

I realize Anne Schoettle is married to D. Shaughnessy. I know she wrote for Days. But does she have a specific history with this show?

ETA which writer did she replace?

• Members

Didn't you ask this in the Y&R thread last week and got an answer?

She didn't replace anyone so far, and she was a consultant for Y&R somewhere in the early 90's briefly.

Though, Y&R could stand to clean up it's writing team and let a number of people go. The day to day writing and general dialogue writing is pretty awful and too inconsistent, on top of already badly written, paced, and executed stories.

• Members

I'm sorry if I missed the answer. This seems to be someone who "knows" Jill and Kay. They sounded spot-on today!

I know Y&R was having breakdown writers write occasional scripts (to save $$ from hiring one scriptwriter). Maybe they decided it wasn't worth it...and filled the empty scriptwriter vacancy.

• Administrator

Janice Ferri Esser editing could've had something to do with that.

I recently started looking at the big writing staffs of Y&R and B&B in a new way. I think the reason why they have so many writers is that they want more writers on "half" contracts (about 2 episodes a month). I think having 2 writers on "half" can be cheaper than one writer on a full contract. That's why there's a lot of writers on B&B/Y&R that only write, on average, 2 episodes a month.

• Members

Y&R/B&B seem to be the only shows doing that then.

And it definitely adds to very inconsistent and awful day to day writing, so many people, so many different approaches.

They should cut back to a smaller staff, and pay less people on full contracts, if they want to save money. These gigantic writing staffs screw up the flow a lot in the day to day writing of these shows.

Archived