2010: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah she was there for 20 years. Started as Felicia Minei Behr's assistant and worked her way up through every single production position to the top, surviving every regime change along the way.

It's a little scary to think that the only person in that list with any real history with the show is the casting director!

Does the Chip Hayes and James Kahn back and forth this week at AMC mean Joanna Cohen and Kate Hall were on maternity leave at the time these episodes were assigned? If so I hope they took/are taking short leaves.

• Members

I have a generic technical question, and I don't know where to ask it.

Most of the soaps now shoot multiple episodes in a single day. How does this work when each of those episodes has a different director??

On Y&R, say, let's say "Phyllis and Nick" are in three consecutive episodes, each with a different director. Does "Director 1" shoot their scenes for his/her episode, and then -- on the same day, on the same set -- "Director 2" shoots his/her scenes? I'm using Y&R as an example, but I'm actually asking about any/all of the shows.

• Members

As per ABC SID's twitter page Kreizman and Swajeski start work at AMC March 1st, just in time to plot a god-awful May sweeps.

Actually whoever does the tweeting says they are hearing "fantastic stuff" about what K&S have planned. Which is pretty amazing since they just finished saying that they don't even start work for a month :rolleyes: .

• Members

My only actual reference is the All My Children A&E Biography Special where Conal O'Brien was directing episode #8442. In a brief segment going over what happens in the production meeting, O'Brien stated that to the department heads they'd also be doing a piece of 8441 and a piece of 8443. So I'm thinking if scenes are slotted in on a director's particular day, he directs them -- even if they air as part of another director's episode. I wouldn't think they'd pull in three different directors all on one day just to shoot a piece from 41, then one director to shoot all the pieces of 42, and then another director to shoot the piece of 43.

But then again, I think practically, so I could be wrong.

Archived