Planned Storylines that were changed/dropped

• Members

I don't know for sure. I do know that it was one of those Taggert/Culliton tenure stories changed dramatically upon Weston's arrival. Taggert wanted the story connected to history and picked up on that loose end. Which reminds me of when Joan Collins was playing Alex, Collins dropped the line that Roger was supposed to be recast as her new love interest. That never happened either.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The aborted Dillon return on AMC in '02, with Tim, Janet and Amanda the baby dyke, was apparently thought up by Culliton and Agnes. From what I recall, they had even been fitting Robin Mattson for wardrobe to return as Janet before the thing got killed.

• Members

That's right, and I can't remember if she said this or if it was just conjecture from the soap press, but it was rumored that he'd be played by none other than Mike Nader, her Dex.

His name had also been thrown about as a Victor recast a few years back, before EB's latest drama with the show. Of course given MN's bad rep, it's hard to say how much of ANY of that is true. Poor guy.

• Members

A couple of other AMC ones that came to mind. Yeah, I have too much time on my hands today LOL.

Years ago when Ruth was cheating on Joe with David Thornton, Agnes had planned to have Ruth leave Joe for David. She changed story direction at the last moment and had Ruth decide to stay with Joe. She threw in a quickie plot device about Joe having some sudden illness, which made Ruth realize how much she still loved Joe. Agnes said that she changed direction because she didn't want the audience to totally turn on Ruth. It's always been my belief that Ruth's brutal rape by Ray Gardner soon after was a way of somehow redeeming the character of Ruth. Redemption via rape has been an AMC theme throughout the years (Natalie, Gloria). Also, more recently the Frankie/Mia past with their son. That was quickly dropped and never spoken of again. Do the current writers know that Frankie has a son out there? LOL

• Members

My theory is that when the show went south so preciptiously after the baby switch saga ended, McT became so bitter and fed up with it all that she simply decided that everything would be one big gigantic "F U" to the audience. Combine that with Frons' mandate that everything be for shock value, and the result we got was the show imploding before our eyes.

• Members

You have to wonder how often that happens on ABCD shows. We know Frons wants to re-invent them, or kill them, depending. Bring in someone like McT and we have the perfect storm.

It's no secret that some headwriters have ego issues. Anyone familiar with even the likes of Coronation Street knows old stories about characters being written off as a dare. As you say, contempt for the audience, but more often total disregard; indifference, cluelessness.

And I'm one of those viewers who believes we shouldn't have any input at all.

• Members

Back in 2007, both EE and Corrie had babynapping stories in the works. On EE, Dawn had had an affair with the husband of the local GP, general practitioner. This woman, May Wright ("Mad May"), could not have children, so she asked Dawn to let her adopt the baby. Dawn agreed, but went back and forth and generally drove May further over the edge. The story was supposed to end with May and her husband taking Dawn hostage, forcing her to have the baby, and then running off with the little girl.

The Corrie storyline was about married couple Ashley and Claire. Claire befriended a woman named Casey who had lost her child. They argued over Casey taking Claire's little baby out without permission. Casey burned the house down and the little baby was presumed dead. Actually, Casey was supposed to have had him, and he would have been missing for 4 months.

The Madeline McCann disappearance caused both of these stories to be heavily rewritten and a lot of scenes had to be thrown out. In the new stories, Dawn called the police on May and got to keep her child. Claire and Ashley worried for a day or two but then found their son in the park.

Archived