GH: December Discussion Thread

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

GH's ratings went up during Sonny and Emily and they dumped them and went down when they killed off a bunch of characters in 2007-2008 and they did nothing. And who's to say these are the stories the audience wants to see. All this proves to me is the GH audience is no differnt than any other soap despite their claims to be hip and cool. It's people who have followed the show for years. I'd beg to think more would have rather seen LL2 especially with JJ's return working their way back to each other over this nonsense and Franco? I still want someone to tell me where his big draw is because it certainly is not with lapsed GH viewers or even current viewers.

The demos only went up for the carnival and Claudia's murder. One decent/big event and payback the audience has been clamoring for in regards to Claudia. I believe these are the only things that boosted their ratings some. And who wants to see 2 judgemental smarmy characters hook up on the back of a beloved character, Lucky. I still think viewers hearing about JJ's return tuned in to see LL2 and were horrified to see this sickening disgusting story and tuned out.

And people can clamor about how mega popular the Liz character and Becky are but someone name another successful pairng outside of Lucky she's had.

First rape is a sexual experience now it's being used to garnish sympathy for the character having an affair. Sickening. And while I agree the rape story was a lot about Lucky and Luke and Laura, it was also a pretty well told rape and recovery story for Liz.

• Members

I wonder if they even realized that is what they were doing with the rape. GH's writing staff isn't very insightful or aware. They may have thought that they were simply reminding the audience about the deep bond formed between Lucky and Liz because her rape, then again Liz did give bored-looking Nikolas that knowing look when Rebecca decided not to say anything.

• Members

I'm glad that GH can never actually write any material about Robin having HIV, unless it's time to show us how evil or crazy someone is over finding out Robin has HIV.

I wonder if Michael will give Lisa the same goodbye kiss he gave Claudia.

• Administrator

They had Michele Val Jean write that script. I wonder how she truly felt about having to write that script - MVJ wrote the Liz rape story back in 98 and was a rape victim herself. I can't believe Elizabeth Korte gave her that episode to write. ugh.

• Members

Well MVJ had to write some of the episodes related to Emily's rape and that was putrid, poorly conceived and written. So I don't believe there is any subject on GH these days which is sacred. We know HIV isn't now rape is used as a sympathy card and sexual awareness prop.

• Members

It is hard to believe that someone who is a rape survivor could write a script that uses rape in such a manipulative way. Guess, we all need that paycheck.

GH always goes over board. Lisa all up in Patrick's sex life was way overkill and over dramatic. Lisa could have found out and be secretly concerned about Robin's HIV status, confiding in her now invisible best friend Louise. It was funny how one minute Patrick was outraged at Lisa for asking about his sex life, and the next, he was smiling and chatting with her in the Christmas tree lot.

I did find Patrick's comment about how watching Robin deal with HIV when she was pregnant was enlightening surprising since HIV was barely mentioned when Robin was pregnant.

• Administrator

Nothing is sacred with Guza.

I don't blame MVJ at all - she has to do her job. You know Elizabeth Korte and Bob Guza are suppose to be very close friends with MVJ, I just don't understand how they can look themselves in the mirror when they come up with stuff like this and then give it MVJ to write. It's so insensitive to do that to your friend. I really feel bad for MVJ. The least they could've done is give the script to somebody else.

• Members

I don't give anyone passes at GH including MVJ. She is the biggest ass kisser of Liz and Olivia on this show. When she writes, neither character does no wrong. Sick to think she a rape survivor would be ok with how this is being used in this storyline first as a factor in Liz's newfound sexual freedom next as a card to prevent Rebecca from spilling her affair.

And Robin's HIV. I had to laugh today. The biggest complaint viewers had about Robin's HIV pregnancy was that is was non existant. Of course Guza's claim was that they wanted it to seem normal like any other pregnancy. Of course now when they need it for storyline purposes, it's now become a factor in Robin's pregnancy. This show is so transparent.

What's sad is that it almost seems as if these shows have taken a step back. From the days of soaps being at the forefront of awareness as it relates to incest, rape, HIV, to what we see now is sad.

• Members

They also had Michele write the script when Jax was raped, so I'm not surprised. They seem to always throw the rape related stuff her way, even though they know she's a rape survivor.

I think their reasoning must be since she's open about her rape and survived with her head in tact, she would be the ideal candidate to write the script to suit their agenda.

Since Liz's rape story was her story too, I bet they thought who else better could do this crass and upsetting link (that's completely stupid) between this current story and the rape story.

Michele's admitted on Twitter that she does not like many of the story directions on GH, but it's her job, and she's urged fans to write to Guza.

Archived