GH: December Discussion Thread

• Members

I always thought GV's Lucky was probably much more popular than they had wanted. They had no use for Lucky when JJ was not in the role and I think that their systematic attempts to destroy his character, through Maxie, and Jiz, and then the nonsense with Ethan, never worked as well as they wanted. Some people still had affection for Lucky; it may have even increased because Lulu became such a pathetic, selfish shrew and Luke became a sad old man who gleefully rejected everything which had made fans like him in the first place.

If anything I think they have gone somewhat overboard since JJ's return. Not only did they take the hammer to Liz in order to make sure we pity Lucky, but they have all these scenes of him going around lecturing people, which, like many of these big speeches on GH, seem to have very little impact, since nothing on GH ever changes.

The ratings are as flat as ever, or lower, since JJ's return, so GV was not that big of a drain.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think GV's Lucky came across sympathetic to some people bc he was the show's whipping boy. Their attempts at making him look bad were so blatant that people ended up rooting for him, especially since they usually trashed Lucky at the expense of making Jason and Sonny look better. Fans dont like manipulative writing like that as it often backfires.

Considering that its been 10 years since he's been in the role, I would expect Lucky to be different from when he last played him

• Members

What Carl said here:

Any second now, I expect Lucky to put on those clothes that the old Testament prophets wore, take up a staff, and start wandering around PC offering advice. Guza wants to forget that last 10 years happened and act like the old Lucky is back. Yet Guza wants to act like Lucky has become this wise respected man in the space of 2 months. Carly putting up with Lucky lecturing her about her son? In what lifetime? It is too WTF for me.

• Members

One possibility is that Lucky is lecturing everyone so when he finds about Liz's affair with Nikolas, it will blow his world apart and the shoe will be on the other foot when it comes to lectures. It is the kind of thing that Guza likes to do.

• Members

I liked GV's Lucky. He became Lucky for me. And kill me, I like my soap hero's sexy and good looking. JJ's Lucky to me was always a petulant brat. While I did like his early relationships with Luke, Laura, and Emily, I didn't care for him in later years. It doesn't mean JJ is not a good actor he just wasn't my cup of tea.

And I thought GV's Lucky was rootable same as AJ was. The more the show tries to intentionally demonize a character that's generally well liked and popular the more the audience roots for them. And I never ever cared how he went off on Jason because Jason to me is totally innane and unlikable and he and Liz were the most unrootale couple ever. 2 things I liked about GV's Lucky. First while I find the character of Nikolas a complete waste, I did like them as brothers. It was about the only brotherly relationship I liked on the show and I felt the actors sold it more than JJ and TC had. I also liked his relationship with Sam. I know the show had no use for Sam and Lucky, but I thought they worked well and had loads of chemistry and were a heck of a lot sexier than this stupid Niz crap they are trying to sell as some hot sexy couple. They just exuded sexiness.

And I agree. Since when were Lucky and Carly ever close. And he and Luke. If anything I don't think they've spent enough time with TG and JJ since JJ has been back. And while I was not a huge LL2 fan, I feel bad for their fans who've waited many years for a JJ return only to see this. I don't think the ratings would be any better than they are now but at least you'd have one fanbase happy.

Personally I'm glad the ratings haven't budged. I'll still contend the slight uplift for a week or 2 in sweeps was due more to Claudia's murder than anything. I think viewers waited a long time for her to pay her dues and I think SBr did a fine job selling it. Maybe JJ caused a slight bump but stunt casting(and yeah JJ to me is a stunt too)and big events never work long term especially on GH because there is no follow-through. The Metro Court, The Carnival, Toxic Balls to me were all failures for exactly that reason. And now it seems AMC and Y&R and even OLTL have adopted the same model.

As far as viewers not buying the writing change with GV in the role. I don't agree. When the scabs were writing there was an obvious shift in the writing for GV's Lucky that was noticable and people liked it. Sadly Luza came back to trash Lucky once again.

• Members

Im not sure if its only her or him as well bc I see no sex appeal on his part. The guy is hot and is great looking but I dont know....his sex appeal doesnt ooze on the screen. Its not natural for him and I cant see him past simply being the "best friend". He isnt coming across as a romantic lead for me

• Members

I think Lulu would be better off as a lesbian. She has a tomboy feel to her and her romantic pairings with men arent working. If GH didnt botch the Lucas storyline and I had more faith in the writer's capablities, it could be an interesting route. Even if the show were to just tease and toy with Lulu exploring her sexuality, I think it might be better than what they are currently doing with her

Good grief, can they FINALLY move onto something new with Spinelli and Maxie. They've been having the SAME exact conversation everyday for the past few weeks. Spinelli cheat on me. I dont want to do that Maxamista....blah blah blah

• Members

I think JMB is a decent actress but she's just not feminine to be. It doesn't mean she's not attractive but like you said she's just too tomboyish. I think trying to continue to make her a heroine has failed. She doesn't seem to have the delicacy or softness to sell that kind of character. And while I am not a big Sharon Newman fan(Y&R) I do think Sharon Case does a good job of portraying Sharon that way. With JMB, it has nothing to do with her body build. I thought Lindze Letherman's Georgie fit that role much better than JMB has. They should have let her continue to play Lulu as the child deserted by her dad with a chip on her shoulder like they started with and kept her relationship with Luke strained. That would have have been something she could have played and I think playing a lesbian, JMB would be much better.

As far as the actor who plays Dante, I think I'd give him another shot before throwing him off to the side to see if he can make another pairing work. While personally I don't find him attractive, he's likable enough.

• Members

No one shows sex appeal with JMB. She has a firewall around her preventing any sex appeal from attacking her scenes. Brandon Barash had no sex appeal with her, and then he got together with first KS and then LLC and suddenly he oozes sex appeal even if he does have a weird chest and a face befitting someone named "Morty". It's possible to be an actor and not be a romantic lead. She might be better off as a supporting actor, playing the secretary, the daughter, the mother of babies, the friend...something where being sexy is not required. Supporting actors can have very busy careers, outlasting romantic leads.

DZ it is tough to tell, but he was on The L Word I think, or some show, so maybe there is a clue in his past work. Why the show continues to try with JMB is beyond me. It's like throwing good money after bad at this point. Anyway, today's episode was pretty nice. I love Max and Diane's shtick, Mac and Alexis were charming too. JJ sang that song soooo slowly he practically lost the tune. I didn't realize what he was singing at first! I can see why he didn't become a music sensation.

• Members

I think that JMB is a great actress but they never pair her with someone who is right. Johnny started off ok, and Logan was a disaster. I thought for a while that there also could have been something with her and Spinelli, but that was before they turned Spinelli into whatever it is that he is now...Spinelli and Maxie are no longer cute together.

JMB just needs the right guy. Dante is single handedly the most boring character on the show right now. The whole DANTE/DOMINIC thing needs to end, and Sonny needs to find out that its his son, so that we can finally move Dante to backburner storylines cause I see no appeal to his character, other than the occasional witty joke.

Archived