GH: December Discussion Thread

• Members

In the latest SOD and SOW, Guza said that they had talks with Vanessa Marcil about retuning. Does anyone think that she will really return? They wouldn't meet her demands the last time, but now that her son is older, she might be willing to commit more time and ABC will be more flexible since it must desperate, especially after Franco failed to bring in the ratings. VM is doing Sony's Web action drama, but doesn't seem to have much else going on. I don't know what to think. Guess, we will know soon enough.

Guza wasted VM's last short stint by pushing Brenda to Jason instead of renewing the Sonny and Jax triangle. I can only imagine the creative way that Guza will come up with to waste her again. At least this time around Jason is not available since he is renewing his relationship with Sam. It also helps that Robin is on the canvas so Brenda will have a real friend to confide in.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember what was done when Vanessa came back the last time so I wonder what kind of story they'll write for her this time...the last one wasn't very good. Then poof! she was gone. Why bring characters back into lousy story?

As an Elizabeth fan who is looking at this in more "her favor a more positive focus."

I saw the bringing up of the rape not as an excuse but when Rebecca was mocking the "magic of the muskateers" she came out with it....The rape "IS" the muskateers you can't go into that history without it because that is why they exist. I thought it is a beautiful scene with the flashbacks and all that and very well-acted...she focused mostly on Lucky and so it was for Nik's benefit since he's in love with her.

As for Rebecca she should not have been in the scene period. It only shows me how poorly GH continues their character placement. It would have packed more of a punch with Nikolas, Elizabeth, and Lucky it is their iconic friendship (bond) that is being destroyed. Rebecca isn't even needed in this at all other than a scorned con who fell for her mark too bad so sad...

As for MValJean writing "pro" Elizabeth I don't see it

...Elizabeth has been watered down and negatively written (when not back burnered) since around 2002-3 for me....Guza is merely hacking more core characters and veterans so she's been marked to hack for years would include (Nik) as the granddaughter of one of the founding 3 characters of GH (Steve Hardy). And granddaughter to their first super-couple (Audrey, by marriage to Steve).

I'm not a bit surprised she continues to be written unsympathetic...Her Valentines day rape was a very good storyline too bad was used by writers on this Rebecca / Nikolas crap. This whole storyline reeks of Guza destroying more GH history in an ill-conceived plot point that has placed Elizabeth/ Lucky yet in another poorly written triangle/quad. Greg's Lucky he wrote against his character (when he would bother to write "for" him which was not often).

He has done this to Elizabeth/Lucky repeatedly....its old storytelling and he hasn't come up with a fresh idea for me in at least six years for them. He writes the same thing with the same outcome. Elizabeth (like all her triangles/quads will take the hit in this she' never written dialog with snappy combacks she's scribed to lose so if that is MValJean goal then she's always suceeded).

For women characters on GH the pets list (maybe with the exception of Kim's Robin (who he has also written poorly at times) doesn't include actresses who originated their role..

Guza is decimating them in writing...he's written Alexis horribly, he's killed off most of them e.g., Georgy and gave her storyline to Maxi an actress from another show (much like he did with Kate/Olivia).

The vets don't even get story unless its to prop (or destroy/killoff) for the most part or maybe during a sweeps event they'll get some action. Tracey serves mainly as a POV for (a mostly drunk) Luke Spencer not driving story.

(Frons) favs that he's allowed writers to write well for with a postive focus are imported from other shows. He gives less than a rat's tutu about GH characters (actresses) who originated their role. I think he wants them mostly gone.

• Members

The whole point of Liz's rape story was to shut up Rebecca but as a long time GH watcher, Liz's rape didn't even involve Nikolas or Emily for months. It was ridiculous to bring this up to allegedly "educate" Rebecca about the muskateers. It had nothing to do with what bonded the muskateers. Lucky and Emily were friends long before Nikolas or Liz even arrived. The reason the muskateers became close to begin with was due to Emily's blackmail, it had zero to do with Liz's rape. Liz's rape bonded she and Lucky and was actually more about Lucky's dealing with what he found out about Luke and Laura than it was Liz. So IMO a story about Emily's blackmail would have been more appropriate. They chose the rape story for a reason, and it was an all too obvious ploy. I just needed to look at Liz's face at the end of it and the look she gave Nikolas to know that she accomplished what she intended to. But I am not a fan of the character.

And no Rebecca in the scene? WHat would have been the point of the rape story had it not been for Rebecca being there? There would have been no occasion to even bring it up.

As far as sympathetic writing, what was 2006 and 2007 about with Jason and Liz if it wasn't made to make Liz and Jason look golden and Lucky and Sam like demons. (And Liz didn't look unsympathetic with Ric or during the surrogacy story). Well the writing during Jason and Liz backfired and the audience again cheered for the underdogs versus those the show wanted them to cheer for.

I agree the show has not really invested in Liz and Lucky as a couple since JJ left, but I won't agree with the Liz "non writing". She's gotten plenty and lots of sympathetic writing in the past few years. Lucky's been the one who's gotten crapped on. And Nik/Rebecca? They haven't been a story on this show in months so how this all was supposedly done to favor a couple who doesn't even exist and a character written off canvas is beyond me.

They need to drop the muskateer crap anyway. If they aren't going to respect the history of the characters, let them all move onto other things or write them off.

• Members

Wow. I am catching up on GH and saw that scene where Liz tells Rebecca about the rape. How disgusting.

Was that really necessary? Justifying Liz's adultery with her being raped. Man, that was just wrong. But it's Guza's GH. :(

Hopefully the Franco bomb and the falling ratings will be enough to get Guza's sorry ass demoted.

• Members

I doubt it. I mean, we all hope for it, but it never happens. No matter how many storylines he writes that are unpopular with fans, and end up costing the show viewers, ABC keeps him around.

It's a shame that it wasn't Guza that was fired instead of Pratt. Pratt wasn't nearly as bad for AMC as Guza is for GH.

• Members

I'm sure people said the same about Luza his first year or two this decade.

I just want you all to know how much I enjoy all of the comments here. People say, why is this thread as long as it is if people don't like the show? For me, it's because I like reading the messages and posting my own thoughts. This board is probably one of the boards which is the most detached from any fan wars or anything like that.

• Members

You know, pre-Franco I was genuinely enjoying GH. I know it's not perfect, but I thought it was a good show. The Cassidine story could've continued the positive trend, but this Franco mess threw everything off. I feel like the hospital got lost, the Dante secret was probably coming out, but got pushed back (now everyone knows which is ridiculous). It just doesn't feel like a complete show. Everything feels so disjointed. I will say I continue to love Rebecca and I'm so sad to see her go. I can't believe I'm enjoying a Natalia Livingston character, but I am. She will never be Emily so this allows me to remember Amber Tamblyn as the only Emily. She also makes a good foil for Elizabeth. I'm really starting to hate that character. She's not in love with Nik, so whats up? This story makes no sense. It's just sex, sex, sex and I'm not understanding why. It's terrible. I don't know how good the fallout will be considering. Another dropped story that bothers me is the Kristina/Keifer relationship and her connection to Sonny. A big part of GH's revamp in recent months was SORASing Michael, Kristina, Molly and Morgan. Those characters need to be at the forefront of their parents stories. I loved Laura Wright on GL, but she's developed some annoying acting tics on GH. She's so annoying, but I love her as a mother. That's it.

Still, even with it's problems I do look forward to watching GH. None of the soaps I watch is perfect, but GH is very watchable. If I had to rank I'd say....

1. Hollyoaks

2. As the World Turns

3. General Hospital

4. Emmerdale

5. The Bold and the Beautiful

6. The Young and the Restless (which ranks below my reruns of Peyton Place, Dallas, Knots Landing and V).

Archived