Y&R sweeps preview

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly. He is irredeemable. The things Adam did are so vile, so unspeakable, so truly sadistic and cruel, and they were done to veteran characters we've known intimately for years. (I didn't watch the Michael Scott story, but this seems different.) There IS no way for the show to put this train back on the rails.

• Members

I liked that too, Mark. And am looking forward to them revisiting Nick/Adam's sibling rivalry. Admittedly, I think CE/JM had more chemistry as estranged brothers, but that could have been because CE shared more scenes with JM than MM has.

I'm not the biggest MM fan, but I'm willing to see what he'll do with this story. The Sharon aspect gives me a little pause but again, I'm keeping an open mind. What better way for Adam to get under Nick's skin (if he's doing this on purpose) than to hit him where it hurts: A-His job and B-The woman he's loved for most of his life.

This story has potential. I hope MAB can pull it off without making Adam do some of his crazy-ass stunts. Redemption arc? Maybe we will get to see some of that remorse once he gets closer to Sharon. Although the character has alot further to go than that.

I don't like the idea of Billy buying RS. But I am open to a Billy/Mac/Chloe/Phil4 quad. Yesterday with the four of them was entertaining.

• Members

I miss Chris Engen as Adam. Man, why did he have to be a homophobe?

BTW, did anybody see Muhney on Monday (I think) with Victoria and Michael? That was the first day I felt MM as Adam. The way Vamptoria and Jazz-Hands ganged up on him, and he just exposed them for the snobs they were. I was rooting for him. Rooting for the psycho!

The writers messed up when they took Adam away from the NikToria rivalry. This should have been a classic Cane/Vamp and Abel or Jacob/Vamp and Esau story. Instead it became focused on TGVN. I'm still not sure what justification Adam would have for doing the things he has done. The only reasoning I can find is that Adam is a Jeffrey Dahmer -- he's always been wrong-in-the-head.

• Members

Lmao @ Jazz hands. Classic!

You know what I kinda disagree I think (though I'm not sure if you are speaking in a context of that the story became too much about Victor as opposed to not having Victor as equally involved as the rest of the Newmans) if I'm worng in terms of my interpretation I stand corrected. When CE was first brought back his scenes with EB and the way that chapter of the story began to ufold was nothing short of dynamic. There was angst there to be delved into; I think the basic idea or challenge was not only how do we have Adam be integrated into the fold as vindictive, vengeful and angry (that should be easy enough to sell) but how do we have Adam become vindictive, angry, and vengeful ala Victor style.I think with that challenge the writing decisions made for the character made this a story carried by techniques of overplotting. The dynamics involved in the overall story tells itself from a character standpoint from the point of Adam's last jailed days, some plotting was necessary, but not this sociopathic territory it took Adam's character into. Perhaps the story should have been a bit more miscellaneous. We have scheming evilous dark shades of Adam, blended are corporate undermining, seductive gentleman, vengeful son, black sheep. IMO while each element might have been touched on it was poorly executed so much so that it equals or came damingly close to "character" assasination. As a matter of fact it is "character" assasination because only coming close would have entertained me and it would have been equivalent to brilliance to bring a dyamic character such as Adam's so close to the edge and pull him back in the nick of time.

• Members

I don't understand how anyone can be enthralled by a story that features Adam. I have no problem with a Nick Vs. Adam story, but I do have a problem with Adam, and how he seems to be getting away with murder. I've watched countless villains over the years - and no matter what despicable things they've done - at the centre of their characters, there has always been a shred of humanity. I don't see that with Adam, and what little "remorse" he has felt, always seems to be too little too late. He's committed too many evil, vile, heinous crimes, to be redeemed, let alone tolerated, while he cooks up yet another machination.

Maybe, if he had stopped his torture of Ashley after she lost her baby, all the while tormented with guilt, as she carried on with her pregnancy, then, and only possibly, might he have a redeeming chance. But they wrote him as callous, a man without remorse, he continued to torture Ashley, without any real motive, taking out Rafe and Heather along the way, teaming up with Patty, and eventually stealing Sharon's baby, and telling her it died. Seriously, how do you come back from all that?

How do you follow this character into a sibling rivalry storyline, and actually say it may have promise, after every heinous act he's done. There really isn't a word that describes just how terrible his actions are. I don't want to have to wait 12 months, let alone 1 month, to see him get his just deserts; I don't want to see him built up into leading man potential; I don't want to see him move in with the woman he's mentally tortured and unborn baby he's murdered; I don't want to see him schmooze closer to the woman he's made believe her baby is dead; I don't want to see him, period.

Morally, this whole scenario is wrong, which is why I refuse to watch anything he's in. I wish the rest of the show was better, so I could at least watch some Y&R, but it isn't. And that sucks.

• Members

That is exactly the Adam I was seeing up until the gaslighting swung into sadistic gear. It was the Adam I wanted to watch! In the grand tradition of Santa Barbara's Mason or Falcon Crest's Richard Channing -- the abandoned son with loads of charm as well as vengefulness.

The decision to "go psycho" was IMO one born of laziness on the part of the writers. And born of the need to prop up Victor and his two "true" children. Any spawn of Nikki and Victor's Everlasting Love is viewed as touched by greatness, while those born elsewhere are somehow inferior. Bastard children in all but name. As if the "lesser" love that Victor had for Ashley, Hope etc., is somehow congenital.

Ben, this is OT but your Mme Moreau avatar... :wub: You is baaaaaad, Ben. Bad to da BONE!

• Members

I will never forget how much promise Adam had as a character. They ruined it so easily after that diary storyline and it was completely unexplainable as to why he started gaslighting Ashley. You can never go back. I guess now I would actually love to see Victoria and Adam bickering like they did last year.

And yeah, Mrs Moreau is love.

• Members

I still think his exit had a lot more going on than homophobia. The story was and is sick on many levels, and the show now downplaying it is even worse.

I have no desire to see Nick and Adam fighting over Sharon.

#1 Once again, a woman is reduced to being a man's property.

#2 Sharon has horrible mental problems and just lost a child and YET AGAIN she is all about her ladyparts, nothing else.

They could take Adam in a lot of directions if they wanted. This macho posturing with Nick, especially after we already saw Adam systematically destroy the life of another woman over this year -- hard to look forward to it.

It's fitting that they are now having Billy do this petty stuff with Restless Style. Billy is a very petty, weak man, even if the show may see him as a stud.

• Members

I'm sure we havn't seen the worst of Chloe. I always stood by my assessment that Chloe should be a hybrid of Jill/Phyllis and EH seems to bring that kind of essence to the character but with these wirters their method of characterization is one step forward two steps back. Even in a soap unless you are that good you have to learn your long term audience's limit. Chloe came in already as an undignified character, Delia's arrival was supposed to shift certain perspective for the character. I'm not saying I don't want Chloe with an edge she's a b*tch and should stay that way because it is intregral part of the character's edge which needs to be kept, but they can't forget or hope the audience forget her baby step progression's thus far

Archived