Y&R Episodes Discussion, Week of October 12, 2009

• Members

Well I am going to have to defend Phyllis on this one...I don't think they try to write her as mother of the year at all because she somehow always manages to make mistakes and screw it up. :lol: It is keeping within her personality and very realistic..but her kids love her anyway and that's what important. She must have missed out on a lot of her childhood as well, who the heck knows. I would assume they had a tough time finding the right Summer and as we can see, IMO anyway, they found her and that's why we are seeing a lot of Summer/Phyllis now. I can see what MAB is probably trying to do with the Summers side of the family here.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You wouldn't know given how she rarely interacts with Daniel, and Summer was a non entity on the show until her brain damage. Yet Nick, Daniel, Michael, and others constantly laud her for being an excellent mother and strong woman.

I do not consider constantly going back to a man that emotionally abuses you and has cheated on you more than once with his ex to be a strong woman. If her relationship with Daniel was as strong as both she and Daniel like to believe, they'd be a more together in story than they currently are or have been since the Latham era.

Not to say the other women on this show are any better. Sharon is also presented as a mother of the year figure, when she so obviously is not.

I don't know how much her kids lover her, as they're basically non-essential to her story on the show. Her life revolves around Nick and "winning" him from Sharon than it does with any of her children.

I also see Stafford has mainly gone back to her 2006-2008 gigly heffa routine. Boring, and the character used to be a lot more exciting.

• Members

I can't wait to see Stafford slap Kanan. I'm predicting these two have uber-chemistry (hate chemistry).

Well, I liked Amber and Deacon and missed them from B&B. But Deacon's been mis-written, and I do agree that the Scoobies do "refocus" this show. On the other hand, did you see Kevin Schmidt's interview on BlogTalkRadio? He said something like "Y&R has done well with the 'restless', but not so much with the 'young'. They're trying to fix that..." There is no denying that the Scoobies do help accomplish this.

I miss, though, the days of the over-earnest young people (Glow by Jabot--EXCEPT BRITTANY HODGES, especially JT&Colleen). They were less real and less funny, but they also seemed to infuse the show with more dignity. I rooted for those couples. I don't root for the Scoobies at all.

Goddard ain't going. He is totally taking the side of "administration". Did you see his interview with Michael Fairman about Eric Braeden? He basically (Frantz too) said that Eric Braeden should man up and take one for the team.

Goddard

Frantz

Also:

KSJ

Sharon Case

• Members

Accomplish this by getting inane storyline after inane storyline that never makes any sense?

The younger cast of actors and characters is VERY weak.

Y&R needs more than a revamp of its younger cast, virtually the whole show needs a revamp. I shutter to think what it will be like if the younger cast starts becoming more prominent.

No, we just had better writers back then who understood the dynamics of the show.

Yes, and as lmfan likes to bring up, Tracy E. Bregman has been nothing buy loyal to the show and often praises it when interviewed, but that doesn't stop them from not writing for her.

Don Diamont was also very loyal to the show and defended all of his stories before her was fired.

• Members

Retromania!!

Deacon's art buyer was none other than Santa Barbara's Marcello!!! I loved him with Sophia Capwell! I loved that accent! Last I saw him was on B&B last year, where he played the "miraculous Swiss neurologist" who determined that Eric Forrester could not be saved from his post-heart attack brain damage. (Of course, until Stephanie bathed his feet while saying bible passages, and a beam of sunlight streamed in, and he was saved.)

Also, I'm fairly sure the bald guy with Victoria today in the art scam was on years ago (with hair), playing "Pete Walker" (a henchman, as I recall, for Mr. Anthony). If I'm right, the same guy was on Knots Landing as a key figure in (I think) the Empire Valley storyline. But that's kind of a blur.

ETA: I'm really looking forward to seeing Muhney in business attire. I think he'll look quite strapping...strong, long, lean.

• Members

He DID look good today. I don't undertand these men drooling over Muhney. Leblanc looks at him like he's the last pork chop on the plate... Nelson can't let go of his own dick long enough to type his columns about him. He's OK.... but I certainly don't see the attraction there. After seeing him today, and yesterday... I think Alvin's assessment of him being "Flat" and "one note" is off base. I think the proper description would be "forced". I'm finding him to simply be TRYING TOO HARD. And I admit, I was afraid of this when I read his intital interviews and comments, he was literally CREAMING HIMSELF over just being on the show. So I think he just came in there with his guns blazing, and is far too eager in his approach. He should have taken a page out of Jess Walton's book.... for when she first came on, she imitated Dickson, and did so with stunning accuracy. Then over time, she slowly introduced her own mannerisms and speech patterns into the role. And it worked, and worked WELL.. considering the fact I was DETERMINED to hate her, and ended up loving her. Of course, it could be that Engen's softness in the role was a sticking point, TPTB may not have wanted that. If that's the case, it's a big mistake. Even though he looked nice today, one thing's for sure: although he's oly 7 years older than Engen, he looks FIFTEEN years older.

Archived