Y&R Episodes Discussion, Week of October 12, 2009

• Members

True. Victor's crimes back from the day he started were never as big as mentally torturing a woman, causing her to lose a child and then have her believe she gave birth to a baby, while causing a trauma to another woman whom he is now befriending.

Plus, this has nothing to do with Adam from February 2008 to February 2009.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not quite true. Victor imprisoned/tortured a MAN (feeding him rats, making him watch Victor have sex with Julia via CCTV, and caused a woman to lose her child by chasing her down a staircase with a whip.

I don't want to whitewash Victor. Victor never saw any consequences for this, except losing his first heir and his wife. Within a few months, though, Col. Austin introduced him to the "divine" Nikki.

• Members

I do miss Heather as a character, but since I haven't seen Y&R for two and a half months (with the exception of this week's Monday episode) I miss the show altogether. I'm glad Vail is branching out because she won't get any decent storylines on this show anyway. If the rumor is true, she signed a new contract recently (I don't see why since they don't know how to write for her). We'll see how things go.

I know, but people had time to get used to Victor and they loved him for who he is. Adam is a rat, but not the lovable kind. A useless character with no real explanation as to why he committed his crimes (just because Victor fired him? Yeah, riiight.) and the viewers lack any kind of sympathy just because Muhney plays it so weird.

• Members

Heather's still my biggest "I'd switch" crush. I'm deeply p/o'd that she hasn't been involved with Paul and Patty. I don't understand why Patty hasn't been arraigned or faced any criminal prosecution yet. I imagined Heather would play into this aspect and she still could. Plus Rafe is the only one onto Adam so I figured he'd play into this as well. There's a lot of story left for them if they intend to go there....

• Members

I don't know if this is Ashley showing any strength. I think it comes across as more of her insecurity and bitterness, since she was terrorized in that house, yet she only cares about the fact that Victor is now with Nikki again. She is putting her anger over everything, including the miracle baby she supposedly loves so much. It seems like more of the same old Ashley to me, reduced to being all about a man.

I think this story shows just how hollow Y&R thinks Ashley and Sharon are, although I agree that Eileen is better at this then the endless gaslighting stuff.

• Members

Both Ashley and Sharon are so void of anything resembling a personality, it's hard to care about them.

Though, it's much harder to even care about Adam and how ruined and cartoonish he is. That character has almost no motivation at all. Poorly developed creation by this writing regime.

This is part of this horrendous writing regime's vision though. To beat the characters down so bad that they can do anything with them and people will no longer care. It's not about being character-driven, it's all about shock value and plot.

Really, where is the real Y&R? and why do the TPTB think this show right now is classic Y&R and in touch with their audience?

• Members

Yes, Alvin, the lack of personality is what bothers me. They're just pawns.

I have never been a big Ashley fan, so if I stop my nitpicking then I can say I do prefer her as she is right now, and I see why Mark and Cashton are looking forward to her story. I know this could go to some good places.

I am just so tired of Sharon and the parade of men and the woe that comes and goes when the script calls for it, I can't be as objective with her.

• Members

Sharon's a mess and pretty much always has been. Interestingly enough IMO having Ashley on canvas makes it seem as if Sharong consistently applies good logic. I'm sorry MM doesn't bring the subtlety to Adam that I appreciated in CE. He's few times ok as Adam but not the best or better suitor imo., and no I don't want a Sharon/Adam romance either.

They're trying hard to sell that but the overplotting of the summer story and recent climax took the character too far imo. He's practically irredeemable now, he has not evoked any sympathy from this viewer

Sounds like the Marlena vs Samantha plot of late 70's Days. I liked that story, I don't trust it in the hands of the Scooby-doers

• Members

In terms of sets,I reviewed what was used this past week.

It seems that Crimson Lights and GCAC are standing sets ie always available and not taken down.

Crimson Lights was used 4 of the 5 days.

The Abbott cabin was used 3 days in a row.

The Carlton house was used M,T and Fr

The hospital set was used 4 of the 5 days.

The Newman ranch was used M,W and Fr

GCAC - M,W

The fairground set,Indigo,the Church,the psych ward and Victoria's office were on once.

On Monday,8 sets were used and the average was 6-8.Quite generous compared to other shows,I believe.

So it seems that sets do dictate the writing,but this has always been the case,perhaps not to this extent.

i wonder what the shooting schedule is these days?Is it still day for day?

Perhaps all the fairground scenes were filmed on the same day,or consecutive days,and then spliced into a later episode,so the set could be put up and taken down on the same day,or next day.

it does seem odd that Indigo suddenly appeared on Th when those scenes could have happened at Crimson Lights or even Lily's place.I wonder if Indigo will be used next week?Maybe they have enough room for it to be unused for a few days.

It still doesn't explain why Michael's office could not be used once in a while.

Anyone have any insights/observations?

• Members

True that. Almost every story is a repeat of something that happened earlier on the show, or merely a re-do of old soap cliches.

Don't get me wrong, some things might still work at the moment (or is it just me feeling a bit nostalgic?), but it's obvious this is a recipe for disaster.

Archived