ATWT: October Discussion

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Bryce might have been good in the good ole days, but Craig has changed since Bryce left. I don't think Hunt Block was the best there's ever been, but he definitely out-acts both Lindstrom, Meek, and Bryce IMHO. What's sad to me is the fact that it looked like Bryce was trying to make Craig believable, but TIIC constantly swapping between good guy/bad guy with the character made it all the more hard for him. Block had a sinister charm to him; he could pull off kidnapping Lucy and the next day, calling her Lullaby. He just had that charm. Meek, thanks be to the heavens, left before he could back Craig anymore Dracula-rific.

This whole Barbara/Henry thing is going to get even worse this coming week. That's all I can say for now.

• Members

I think what worked for Block in the role was when he didn't have to act. When he coasted on a certain smug charm and the other characters were written down (like when we were encouraged to share Craig's amusement over Jack being raped), he did well. When he had to act, like Bryant's death, I think he struggled. That's why the character really suffered when the bad writing hit, because unlike Maura West, he, and most of the other actors who played Craig, couldn't compensate.

Bryce played a complex Craig very well for most of the 80s. Craig was very screwed up before he became the weepy Sierra devotee, and it was Bryce's work in that part of the story which kept him around. I think he could have pulled off a more messed up but still decent Craig. The problem is that complexity doesn't exist on soaps now.

• Members

Eh Bryce is still the better actor IMO. Block became a one note character. His charm got boring real fast. Block might outact Lindstrom and Meek but not Bryce. You got that one wrong my friend...lol.

As for Babs and Henry I am enjoying it for what it is pure camp. Because if the story is taken seriously I could just vomiting....lol.

• Members

Yes, Eb is the villian of the month. You could include Lynn Herring character and Stuart Damon character a bit.

ATWT got a new opening this summer and Meg and Paul are spilt up for good it seems..Thank Gawd!!

Paul is now married to Emily and Meg is trying to get revenge on Damian for dumping her for Lily.

• Members

He held Holden prisoner after Holden was presumed dead in a car crash. I don't know if Damian knew from the start that Holden was alive or if he just thought Holden might be. Either way he kept it a secret. This guy contacted Holden's family and then he tried to shoot Luke when Luke and Jack went to talk to him. Damian was already there, I think if no one else had been there he might have tried to get the guy to keep Holden. The guy ended up shooting Damian and running off. I haven't seen the episodes since.

Meg and Paul broke up and she got together with Damian (now he's with Lily). Paul is marrying Emily.

• Members

OH...I think what worked for Block was the fact there wasn't another snarky-assed character on the show at the time. He certainly wasn't creating a "new" character---he was essentially playing GL's "Ben Warren" with shorter hair. (I'll never forgive the sonofabitch who hired him for that role either---that rat bastard broke up my other favorite couple of the day, Bloss...*steam vents from ears*) And no...he couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. His scenes during Bryant's death were pitiful.

At the time, Henry was the funny wuss on the show, but other than that, David was the bad dude, and you actually had heros like Holden, Jack, Ben and Hal---who were allowed to be good, but not self-righteous. Now Oakdale's "anti-heros" are the snarky "truth-tellers" while the good guys are sticks in the mud without a sense of humor.

It was Sheffer who decided Craig was the epitome of manhood, while the rest of the male population in town didn't have a dick. !@#$%^&*].

Meg got fed up with Paul's lies before Eliza was born. She really got fed up with his kidnapping Eliza twice in six months. When he lost his emotional connection to them (when the chip in his brain got pulled), his obsession with Meg ended, and she banged the next available guy.

• Members

Oh, I remember the non-crying. Block sucked in that department, for sure. But I don't think any of his former portrayers could have pulled off the slick, manipulative, yet charming "deeeeep deep down speck of decency" that Block portrayed.

Again, I wasn't around when Bryce was in the role back in the day (from what I hear, he was awesome), but I was around during his latest stint and all I could see was a good actor trying his best to swim through the sea of crap that enveloped the character...and he eventually drowned.

• Members

I just want Audrey gone...ugh, the whole Henry storyline just sucks.

I was never a big fan of Maddie, but I think Alex Chando has vastly improved since she first came on the show.

Please end Casey & Alison - they are terrible together!

Janet needs to back off! I usually don't mind her, but man...

Jon Lindstrom...i can take him or leave him, but I would love to see Scott Bryce back in the role. I could go for Craig & Rosanna, if they would just have a serious conversation about how he almost killed her! So far, they've been completely sweeping it under the rug.

There were so many ways they could have revisited Lily/Damian. They totally went about it the wrong way. Kudos to Noelle Beck & Paolo Seganti for doing the best job that they can with the crap writing, though. I still much prefer them over Lily/Holden or Meg/Damian.

• Members

i have really enjoyed watching this show recently, much to my shock.

i hate the henry storyline. i cant stand LH's acting, but its been nice having AC back on screen. I also really want to like Casey & Alison, but something just isnt working.

But i have loved the storyline with Janet. And i am loving the Lily storyline too... Noelle Beck & Paolo Seganti are really good.

• Members

While I loathe the thought of Craig/Ro...that conversation is LONG past due. Especially since Bryce/McClain interacted during the last stint. I really don't think there's a way to justify Craig's actions, other than to lay his actions on Bryant's death, which would seem like a cop-out. Plus, I can't buy that Rosanna's had some long-standing torch for Craig, after marrying Paul twice and obsessing over him.

I think it's a damn shame Bryce was given the crap he was---but of the Death Quad, it was Craig/Ro I felt sorry for, not Paul/Meg. Had they not written Craig out trying to blow up Paul, I'd have been fine with him staying in town, even after nearly poisoning Meg. The fact he slapped it out of her hand convinced me he had a conscience a lot more than all the "abuse" Lindstrom's taken during Carly's alcoholism. For every "compassionate" action, he's stuck his foot in his mouth (or his nose in her family business) about three times.

I prefer Lily/Damian too...it's just really not saying much, given how bad I consider the other couples.

• Members

I just wish we could have Lily go for a breakdown, this time with no one to pick her up. They hinted at this, as they always hint at it, with Meg (who I much prefer in the crazy role) saying Damian and Lucinda are fighting to save Lily and she can't save herself. Noelle might do well at a pillhead, I'm Dancing As Fast As I Can story.

Loved the Lucinda/Meg scene near the end of the week, especially Lucinda's "I don't like you, either."

Poor Judi Evans -- she makes the crap she's given somehow work. She's such a good soap actress, I wish she could get hired on something permanently.

I know the Adam/Casey story isn't all that well told but I do manage to feel sorry for both Adam and Casey. I think Casey is a brat yet I can't blame him for being so angry or resentful.

The best part of me in the past few episodes was Allison telling Tom to screw himself when he tried to get her to help clear things up, because he didn't believe her the last time she tried to help. She's much better in the bitter role than as the ingenue.

Archived